Will DCA ever be open to GA?

Old September 23rd 04, 03:44 PM
AFisher

Default Will DCA ever be open to GA?

Does anyone know if National Airport will ever be open to GA?

Old September 23rd 04, 03:50 PM
G.R. Patterson III

AFisher wrote:

Does anyone know if National Airport will ever be open to GA?

Security people and the military are claiming that "nobody seriously argues anymore
that the DC ADIZ isn't necessary." High ranking military officers are on record as
stating that this is a Good Thing. That indicates to me that National will never
again be open to GA.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old September 23rd 04, 03:53 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Security people and the military are claiming that "nobody seriously
argues anymore
that the DC ADIZ isn't necessary." High ranking military officers are on
record as
stating that this is a Good Thing. That indicates to me that National will
never
again be open to GA.

Different issues. You can open Reagan to GA traffic and still maintain the
ADIZ.

Old September 23rd 04, 03:55 PM
Dave Butler

AFisher wrote:
Does anyone know if National Airport will ever be open to GA?

Nope, nobody knows.

Old September 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Different issues. You can open Reagan to GA traffic and still maintain the
ADIZ.

True, but I believe that the attitude I described will keep Reagan closed.

Old September 23rd 04, 04:00 PM
Jay Masino

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
Security people and the military are claiming that "nobody seriously
argues anymore
that the DC ADIZ isn't necessary." High ranking military officers are on
record as
stating that this is a Good Thing. That indicates to me that National will
never
again be open to GA.

Different issues. You can open Reagan to GA traffic and still maintain the
ADIZ.

Yea. but (1) is shows a mind set, and (2) it would be a pain in the butt
with the present FRZ requirements. A small group of people would go thru
the background checks, and those would be the only people using National.
It barely seems worth arguing for.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old September 23rd 04, 04:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Masino" wrote in message

Yea. but (1) is shows a mind set, and (2) it would be a pain in the butt
with the present FRZ requirements. A small group of people would go thru
the background checks, and those would be the only people using National.
It barely seems worth arguing for.

That may be, but even a small group using it bolsters the position that GA
is not a threat. Ya gotta walk before ya can run.

Old September 23rd 04, 04:05 PM
Peter MacPherson

I'd be happy if they'd just re-open College Park. That
"was" a great airport.

Old September 23rd 04, 05:36 PM
Jay Masino

Ain't that the truth. Of course, if you're willing to go through the
rectal exam, you can use College Park.

Old September 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
Jay Masino

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Jay Masino" wrote in message
Yea. but (1) is shows a mind set, and (2) it would be a pain in the butt
with the present FRZ requirements. A small group of people would go thru
the background checks, and those would be the only people using National.
It barely seems worth arguing for.

That may be, but even a small group using it bolsters the position that GA
is not a threat. Ya gotta walk before ya can run.

A lot of my friends are still using College Park, with a similar feeling,
but there's been absolutely no movement to setup a mechanism to allow
transients in. I suspect that the FRZ around DC will be here long after
we're 6 feet under. And that may also be true for GA access into
National. To be honest with you, I don't see what the big deal is. I've
flown in the DC area for close to 18 years. about 15 of them before
September 11th. I never felt inclined to land at National. Not even
once. For me, the things I miss the most are sight seeing flights down
the Anacostia River, and doing practice instrument approaches at Andrews.

--- Jay

--
__!__