Cherokee ammeter revisted

Old January 14th 05, 09:48 PM
Leo

Default Cherokee ammeter revisted

At the suggestion of several on this group I found the problem of a
swinging ammeter on my warrior to be the alternator switch. Now I need
a new switch. To get a new switch I need a part number, as always.
Now I need a suggestion for a vendor for both a part number manual and
a vendor for the alternator switch. Any favorites?

While we are at it - I haven't crawled under the panel to look the
situation over as yet but from the outside it looks like a real bitch
to get to. I would appreciate a few words of encouragement and perhaps
instruction from someone who has successfully replaced this switch on a
Warrior. Thanks and also thanks for past help. Leo

Old January 14th 05, 10:47 PM
Jim Burns

Airparts of Lock Haven
or
Des Moines Flying Service

Sorry, I haven't been in a Warrior in over 17 years, but is there any chance
that the switch pops out the front of the panel? Either way you'd have to
get to the back of it. Hope you're not claustrophobic.

Jim

oups.com...

Old January 14th 05, 11:48 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Leo wrote:
: At the suggestion of several on this group I found the problem of a
: swinging ammeter on my warrior to be the alternator switch. Now I need
: a new switch. To get a new switch I need a part number, as always.
: Now I need a suggestion for a vendor for both a part number manual and
: a vendor for the alternator switch. Any favorites?

Part number manuals (or just parts manuals) can be had from Piper or
from Essco (spelling?). Try Des Moines Flying Service for the part,
or try preferredairparts.com (aka "jilco").

: While we are at it - I haven't crawled under the panel to look the
: situation over as yet but from the outside it looks like a real bitch
: to get to. I would appreciate a few words of encouragement and perhaps
: instruction from someone who has successfully replaced this switch on a
: Warrior. Thanks and also thanks for past help. Leo

If it's like my Cherokee, the plastic around the front of the switches
comes off. It's fitted into litle grooves on the top & bottom. Then some
big screws come out and the switch subpanel is removed from the back. With
some wiggling you can reach in the hole that the switch was in to unscrew the
switch from the sub-panel. Then you can disconnect the wires and replace
the switch. I found that removing the bottom radio & tray let me get at the
back of the switches much more easily than from underneath.
--
Aaron C.
Old January 15th 05, 12:14 AM
Leo

Aaron Coolidge wrote:
Leo wrote:
[...]

Thanks Aaron, I have been back of that panel (I even bought a "forehead
mounted" flash light) and I have entirely too many elbows to work in
that space. I'll try removing the radio. Next airplane will have a
zipper on the panel. Leo