Flying to Ashland/Medford Oregon

Old September 5th 04, 01:02 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Flying to Ashland/Medford Oregon

I'm thinking of flying myself there from the east coast the beginning of
October.

I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what sort of weather or other problems I
might expect getting into (and out of) that area.

Thanks.
Old September 5th 04, 01:42 AM
Don Tuite

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:02:49 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

I'm thinking of flying myself there from the east coast the beginning of
October.

I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what sort of weather or other problems I
might expect getting into (and out of) that area.

Thanks.

One fond memory is crossing the Siskyous from California at 10,500,
which gives you about 2- 3,000 feet clearance, calling the tower, and
getting a straight-in. KMFR is at 1335 feet. That was a bunch of
altitude to burn off in 20-30 miles. Ashland is closer to the
mountains.

Don't miss flying over Crater Lake. Don't miss driving around it if
you get a chance.

There used to be a Yreka Bakery in Yreka, CA. That'd be worth a visit
if your friends are into palindromes.

The weather will probably be gorgeous if there are no forest fires.
That's absolutely the best time of year, weather-wise in the Pacific
Northwest.

Don
Old September 5th 04, 01:54 AM
Bob Gardner

Choose Medford over Ashland. Ashland is a neat little town that you should
visit while in the area, but it does not have an approach.

Bob Gardner

Old September 5th 04, 02:55 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:54:26 -0700, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Choose Medford over Ashland. Ashland is a neat little town that you should
visit while in the area, but it does not have an approach.

I would only choose Ashland if it's VFR, as my daughter & son-in-law live
there. Otherwise, I'll pick Medford.

Thanks.
Old September 5th 04, 02:58 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 00:42:49 GMT, Don Tuite
wrote:

The weather will probably be gorgeous if there are no forest fires.
That's absolutely the best time of year, weather-wise in the Pacific
Northwest.

That's good to know and good information.

Ever since I got caught in some unforecast icing in the lee of the Great
Lakes one spring, I like to check local knowledge regarding weather in
areas I've not flown into before.

One fond memory is crossing the Siskyous from California at 10,500

I'll probably be coming from the Idaho side. But I hope to get in some
local flying while I'm there (if I do the trip).

Thank you for the information.

Old September 5th 04, 03:24 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what sort of weather or other problems I
might expect getting into (and out of) that area.

Take a look at some of the Medford approaches. In particular, the LOC BC
illustrates the terrain around both airports:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0409/00251LDBCB.PDF

The Ashland airport isn't depicted on that chart, but it's in that valley
that angles off to the southeast from MFR. I5 runs right by both airports.
They're both easy to get if you come down the Willamette valley (EUG-OED)
from the north. Ashland claims to stay VFR when other airports (including
MFR) are socked in, and I've seen that happen (as I flew over from
Portland to the bay area).

If I weren't coming from the north I'd probably approach from the
southeast along either I5 or the highway that goes to Klamath Falls.

If you're going to the Shakespeare festival, the Ashland airport is very
convenient. It's about a 10 minute, $15 cab ride from the airport to
downtown. The airport staff is friendly and there's always been plenty
of parking. It was $7/night earlier this year.

Ashland is in the shadow of some large hills, so it gets dark/cold earlier
than you expect in the fall.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 5th 04, 03:53 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article dNu_c.31599$3l3.25815@attbi_s03, (Ben Jackson)
wrote:

In article ,
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

[...]

Some of the hotels will pick you up free, too. Ashland is really a
quaint place to visit -- there is more than Shakespeare available, but
the plays are well worth seeing, if you like theater. The main theater
is very modern and the productions are sometimes non-traditional.

There is also a neat park within walking distance from the theater
complexes.
Old September 5th 04, 05:29 AM
David Herman

Ron,

It's true that early October often brings some of the nicest weather of the
year, but it's also generally the time when things are about to change: we
have two seasons here in the Northwest: the dry season (a well-kept secret)
and the wet season (for which we are so famous), and the transition to the
big gray drip usually begins sometime around mid- to late-October. If
you're lucky, you'll get some of the best flying weather of the year: clear,
crisp, sunny and impossible to beat for sightseeing. But you could also hit
stretches where we're socked in with fog, rain and low ceilings for days.

The really bad weather tends to hug the coast more than the inland valleys
(even in the summer) but you should probably be prepared to be flexible just
in case (we have been having a somewhat uncharacteristic year, weatherwise,
with our "summer" weather arriving early and some decidedly autumnal weather
in the past few weeks which - we rarely see in late august/early september -
this could just be a brief fluke, or it could presage an early fall.

As others have noted here already, you'll find more services in Medford.
Ashland has a couple things going for it: a great and popular theater
(mostly Shakespeare) community, and lots of accommodations that are there to
cater to all the visiting theater-goers. In October, the theater crowds
should have abated and you should have plenty of rooms to pick from
(although there should still be plays on in case you want to take one in).

As for places to fly and to see, by all means don't miss Crater Lake, it's
absolutely stunning from the air, and pretty damn impressive even from a
car. The same goes for the entire Oregon Coast (possibly the most scenic
hunk of landscape in all of North America). Really there's great stuff in
all directions; you won't be able to see it all.

If you're coming over the mountains (as opposed to coming up from
California), one route you might follow would be to come west through the
Columbia River Gorge (this lets you stay low but can be famously windy in
some places), then turn south and go down the Wilamette Valley (or go down
the east side of the cascades and cross the mountains further south). It's
all really stunningly beautiful country. You will undoubtedly enjoy it.

Hope that helps. If you have specific questions for local pilots, you might
post at the website in my sig below.

Have a great trip!

--
David Herman
N6170T 1965 Cessna 150E

Old September 5th 04, 12:05 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:29:41 -0700, "David Herman"
wrote:

But you could also hit
stretches where we're socked in with fog, rain and low ceilings for days.

That would not be too much of a problem leaving. But I'd hate to get hit
with that on the way in.

I'll just keep an eye on the weather patterns and be prepared to be
flexible, or go commercial. I've only flown out to the west coast once
before. That was to southern California and in mid-November. That year,
the weather change came in November, and wasn't a problem as I was able to
easily return via a southern route.

'm familiar with the area as a tourist, since our kids live there. But
I've never flown into that part of the world.

Thanks for the information.