Keeping Me Out of Your Warbird?

Old February 11th 04, 02:41 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Vicente Vazquez" wrote in message
om...
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

thlink.net...

I remember when I first saw a Spitfire in flight here in Brazil, with
the
"Battle Of Britain" theme playing on the background, during the
cerimony
when it was delivered to a museum. While I watched it in flight, names
of
people and places like Biggin Hill, Hornchurch, Sailor Malan and
Douglas
Bader came through my head.

Douglas was a personal friend of mine for many years. Of all the things I
liked about Douglas; his work with handicapped children will always be
remembered by both myself and my wife. He was one of the charter members of
the old IFPF. We talked about the Harry Saltzman filming of "BOB" many
times. He often remarked about how his relationship with Galland got much
better after the two of them worked together on the film. Malan, believe it
or not, was one of Douglas' favorite people. It was Sailor who was
responsible for developing the tactics that changed Fighter Command's
thinking and changed Dowding's thinking. Many don't know that Bader liked
and respected Malan, as Sailor more or less sided with Keith Park during the
controversy when Douglas and Lee Mallory were pushing the "Big Wing" theory.
Those were interesting times and interesting people. Where else for example,
just in this little tidbit we're sharing here, can you find three characters
named Adolph? Hitler......Galland......and Malan!
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old February 11th 04, 04:07 PM
Michael

Stephen Harding wrote in message ...
Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
Do restored warbirds have some sort of security system added to
keep unscrupulous members of the public such as me, from taking
one up for an unauthorized flight? Some sort of starting "key"?

What about current military aircraft?

In theory it could be done, but the pilot doing it would have to be REAL
good! :-)) Just the pre-requesites are daunting to say the least.
First, the pilot doing this would have to be good enough to actually fly the
airplane, which not only requires specific skills but is aircraft specific
also. That means the thief would have to know where everything is in the
cockpit....probably in the dark .
A self inspired night checkout in the average warbird would kill all but the
most "inspired" I can assure you!! :-)))

I was hoping you or Vlado would comment.

Well I'll take your word for it. But I recall an American pilot shot
down in Europe during WWII stealing a FW 190 (IIRC). He got the thing
started and into the air (in the dark), but flew it back to England with
the gear down since he couldn't figure out how to raise it.

You're thinking of Bruce Carr from the 354th FG. He was supposedly
shot down over Czechoslovakia, stole a FW-190 and flew back to his
base in France. The story has been told on the internet and in
magazines, but I've never seen it included in a history of the 354th
and I beleive there is some debate about whether or not it really
happened.

~Michael
Old February 11th 04, 04:10 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Vicente Vazquez wrote:
And every time I look at that P-47 I regret not being able to see
that piece of our history crossing our skies again, carrying the same
colors that were seen over Italy 60 years ago, with that same
"Ostrich" we are so proud of painted on it's fuselage.

My dad told me stories of being buzzed every morning by a Brazilian P-47
squadron in Italy in WWII. He was flying C-47s at the time and said the
Thunderbolts would come roaring over just above the tents. Made a hell of a
noise.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old February 11th 04, 09:31 PM
Errol Cavit

(Vicente Vazquez) wrote in message . com...
(Errol Cavit) wrote in message . com...
(Vicente Vazquez) wrote in message . com...

Know the feeling, we just got a flying kiwi Corsair back in the
country (saw it flying here on TV a couple of days ago.)

http://www.travelcentre.com.au/trave...f_the_show.htm

Another Kiwi Corsair... :-)
We have an airworthy Corsair down here that came from New Zealand.
IIRC, it is the oldest birdcage Corsair in existance and it seems its
history card says it was used in combat in WWII. But I can't tell if
it is actually a former RNZN/RNZAF a/c or if it is a former USMC/USN
a/c bought by its previous Kiwi owner. It's currently painted in VF-17
markings.

Some more info on the birdcage:
http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/former/f4u1.htm

And kiwi Corsairs
http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/corsair.html

RNZN didn't have any aircraft (maybe a shagbat or two?), although
something like one third of the British Pacific Fleet aircrew in 1945
were New Zealanders.

Cheers, Errol Cavit | "I long for the day when we can match the
Germans in the sky, 'plane for 'plane. When that day dawns, Germany is
beaten. We know by experience that we can whack his land forces, tanks
included, any day of the week." Private L.A.Diamond, 23 NZ Batt, 1941
Old February 12th 04, 12:42 AM
Vicente Vazquez

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message ...
My dad told me stories of being buzzed every morning by a Brazilian P-47
squadron in Italy in WWII. He was flying C-47s at the time and said the
Thunderbolts would come roaring over just above the tents. Made a hell of a
noise.

Some time ago I received an e-mail from a USAAF vet telling me exactly
the same story. He told me he flew C-47's and while he was stationed
at Tarquinia (after the Brazilian FS moved on to Pisa) the Brazilian
P-47's would every once in a while "visit" their former base and make
some low passes over the tents.

Unfortunately I lost that e-mail message the last time I had to format
my HD but, considering the coincidence, can I guess it was your father
who wrote me ??
Old February 12th 04, 10:24 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Vicente Vazquez wrote:
Some time ago I received an e-mail from a USAAF vet telling me exactly
the same story. He told me he flew C-47's and while he was stationed
at Tarquinia (after the Brazilian FS moved on to Pisa) the Brazilian
P-47's would every once in a while "visit" their former base and make
some low passes over the tents.

Unfortunately I lost that e-mail message the last time I had to format
my HD but, considering the coincidence, can I guess it was your father
who wrote me ??

A strong possibility. I know he's in here regularly.

Old February 12th 04, 01:30 PM
Vicente Vazquez

(Errol Cavit) wrote in message . com...

Some more info on the birdcage:
http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/former/f4u1.htm

And kiwi Corsairs
http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/corsair.html

RNZN didn't have any aircraft (maybe a shagbat or two?), although
something like one third of the British Pacific Fleet aircrew in 1945
were New Zealanders.

Thanks for the links and info...

Picture (not a very good one) of that Corsair in Brasil, stored at one of
TAM's (a Brazilian airline, owner of the aircraft) hangar, in São Paulo...

http://www.spotter.com.br/Museus/Museu_0016.jpg

I hope their museum will be finally opened in 2004.
Old February 12th 04, 04:34 PM
José Herculano

Very few tactical jets had self-starting capability during my tenure.
The only one that I recall was the T-37, which didn't require any
external power unless you planned to be on the radio waiting for a

A Portuguese Air Force officer (non-flying) did take a T-37C on a joyride.
Managed to land the thing back without damage, and on account of being well
connected pursued his military career to, IIRC, the rank of Colonel.
José Herculano