Paid $50.00 to fill my gas tank this morning.

Old July 1st 04, 10:10 AM
Brett

"Tamas Feher" wrote:
It's $2.03 / gal at the little independent station on Decatur by VGT.

You
can see some guys L-39 from the station.

FYIF, the czech L-39 Albatros is jet powered, thus it runs on kerosene
(or JP7

Why would a cheap subsonic jet trainer need an expensive low-volatility fuel
(JP7) typically associated with the SR-71.

Old July 1st 04, 10:57 AM
Cub Driver

Gee Art; if we went to Iraq to steal their oil as you an
WalterLooneyTunes claim, gas should be $0.29 a gallon by now.

When I bought my first car, gas was five gallons for a dollar at the
Red Hat station outside Concord, cheapest in the state. That would
equate to $2 a gallon today. Gas at the discount stations locally is
$1.957, and at BJ's Wholesale Club it's ten cents cheaper.

If Art could afford to drive his car in 1952, he can afford to drive
it today, since the price of gas is essentially the same, or at bit
cheaper. (In 1952 I was paying $75 a semester for tuition at the state
university. Show up with $750 today and they will throw you out.)

But if he needs a $50 bill to fill his tank, obviously he is driven a
vehicle that would have been considered a gas-guzzler even in those
innocent days. I got 20 mpg in 1952; I get 30 mpg today, so the cost
of driving has actually been halved, where gasoline is concerned. Art
must be getting 10 mpg. Serves him right, say I.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old July 1st 04, 11:05 AM
The CO

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
NO OIL COMPANY WILL BE LEFT BEHIND.

No offence Art, but welcome to my world.

91 Octane unleaded petrol is .99cAU a litre, down from $1.04.9 a litre a
week or two back.
That's around 70cUS a litre or about $2.65US to the US toy gallon of
3.785 litres.
Unfortunately, my 95 Proton Wira needs Premium Unleaded (95 Octane)
which is around $1.05AU a litre
or 73.5cUS a litre or about $2.78US to the US toy gallon of 3.785
litres.
My creaky old 77 Nissan Patrol has to use Lead Replaced 95 octane
(Basically Premium with some sort
of non lead additive) and it's about the same price, and it's a big old
3 litre 6 cylinder and chews fuel.....
You've had a pretty good run on fuel prices over there, you've been
lucky...

Needless to say almost half the price of fuel is government excise and
10% GST on top....

The CO

Old July 1st 04, 11:27 AM
Tamas Feher

Why would a cheap subsonic jet trainer need an expensive
low-volatility fuel (JP7) typically associated with the SR-71?

Typically? Airliners used to use the JP7 up until it was banned for
being hazardous. Rumor says some african countries still sell it at
their airports.

Old July 1st 04, 11:43 AM
Ragnar

"Tamas Feher" wrote in message
Once and for all people,
the President does not control the oil and gas economy.

Obviously. To the contrary:

The oil and gas companies control the president.

This is not illegal mind control, as GWB has no mind at all.

Yes, I suppose you would know all about being mindless.

Old July 1st 04, 11:52 AM
George Shirley

tom c wrote:
It's $2.03 / gal at the little independent station on Decatur by VGT. You
can see some guys L-39 from the station.

TC

Less than $1.80.9 per gallon here in SW Louisiana now. We have two major
refineries in town that refine Venzuelan crude, one is owned by
Petroleos Venzuelos so that makes sense. The further down the supply
chain you are the more expensive goods are.

George

Old July 1st 04, 02:35 PM
OXMORON1

Art wrote:
NO OIL COMPANY WILL BE LEFT BEHIND.

The Mercedes?

You should have bought the diesel!

Oxmoron1
MFE
Old July 1st 04, 04:25 PM
Typhoon502

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..

But if he needs a $50 bill to fill his tank, obviously he is driven a
vehicle that would have been considered a gas-guzzler even in those
innocent days. I got 20 mpg in 1952; I get 30 mpg today, so the cost
of driving has actually been halved, where gasoline is concerned. Art
must be getting 10 mpg. Serves him right, say I.

Geez, no kidding. What the heck are you driving in that's got a 22+
gallon tank? What do you NEED it for? Are you hauling lots of
supplies or something? What's your mileage? Why don't you justify
your need for a vehicle of a size and consumption that you've got that
big a fuel tank.
Old July 1st 04, 04:42 PM
John Mullen

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
NO OIL COMPANY WILL BE LEFT BEHIND.

Here in Scotland diesel is currently going for 81.9p per litre. That is
about $5.50 a USg. Just thought you might be interested.

John

Old July 1st 04, 04:50 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , "Tamas Feher"
wrote:

Why would a cheap subsonic jet trainer need an expensive
low-volatility fuel (JP7) typically associated with the SR-71?

Typically? Airliners used to use the JP7 up until it was banned for
being hazardous. Rumor says some african countries still sell it at
their airports.

I think you need to check your facts on JP-7.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

fuel tank plumbing pwm Home Built 18 January 27th 05 04:54 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
More long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids, with added nationalistic abuse (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 161 September 25th 03 07:35 AM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM