Definition of simulated instrument conditions

Old January 29th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Definition of simulated instrument conditions

Does anyone know if Simulated Instrument Conditions is defined anywhere?

The reason for the question is whether one can log instrument time, say
at night, when you don't look outside, but don't wear foggles or a hood?

I can't find anything in the rules that defines simulated instrument
conditions, but since the rule for logging instrument time says both
that flight has to be solely by referenct to instruments in actual or
simulated instrument conditions, that would suggest that more is
required than "solely by reference to instruments" and therefore that
some sort of view limiting device is required.

It would certainly be easier if they defined simulated insturment
conditions though.

Brad
Old January 29th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:40:00 GMT, bsalai
wrote:

Does anyone know if Simulated Instrument Conditions is defined anywhere?

The reason for the question is whether one can log instrument time, say
at night, when you don't look outside, but don't wear foggles or a hood?

I can't find anything in the rules that defines simulated instrument
conditions, but since the rule for logging instrument time says both
that flight has to be solely by referenct to instruments in actual or
simulated instrument conditions, that would suggest that more is
required than "solely by reference to instruments" and therefore that
some sort of view limiting device is required.

It wouldn't seem logical to me that "just not looking outside" would
ever count for instrument time.

The now unavailable part 61 FAQ said "Normally, in order to log
instrument flight time under “simulated instrument conditions,” the
pilot needs to be utilizing a view limiting device".

Therefore, to get IMC time out of anything else it needs to meet the
requirements for actual instrument time (real IMC or the classic "VMC
with no useful horizon at night", like looking out over water or unlit
ground with no moonlight etc.
Old January 29th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"bsalai" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone know if Simulated Instrument Conditions is defined anywhere?

The reason for the question is whether one can log instrument time, say at
night, when you don't look outside, but don't wear foggles or a hood?

I can't find anything in the rules that defines simulated instrument
conditions, but since the rule for logging instrument time says both that
flight has to be solely by referenct to instruments in actual or simulated
instrument conditions, that would suggest that more is required than
"solely by reference to instruments" and therefore that some sort of view
limiting device is required.

It would certainly be easier if they defined simulated insturment
conditions though.

This is one of the most confusing aspects of the FAA's terminology.

It turns out that if you *need* to fly by reference to instruments (for
example, at night with no moon over unlit terrain) then that counts as
actual (not simulated) instrument conditions--although it does not count as
instrument *meteorological* conditions (IMC), and hence does not require
being IFR rather than VFR. But it can be logged as instrument time.

But no, the FAA never actually defines the term "instrument conditions" (as
opposed to "instrument meteorological conditions"). The FAA used to have an
online FAQ that contained this explanation, but they recently removed it. So
now it's relegated to the status of a newsgroup rumor--or you could send a
letter or email to your FSDO asking about it. If enough people do that,
perhaps the FAA will be prompted to define the term.

--Gary

Old January 29th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:57:44 -0500, "Gary Drescher"
wrote:

The FAA used to have an
online FAQ that contained this explanation, but they recently removed it. So
now it's relegated to the status of a newsgroup rumor--or you could send a
letter or email to your FSDO asking about it. If enough people do that,
perhaps the FAA will be prompted to define the term.

Actually, FWIW the FAQ said:

"There is no official FAA definition of “actual instrument time” or
“simulated instrument time” in the FARs, FAA Orders, advisory
circulars, FAA bulletins, etc. And probably the reason why the FAA has
never officially defined “actual instrument time” or “simulated
instrument time” is because in all of the aeronautical experience
requirements for pilot certificate and/or ratings in Part 61 the rule
does not differentiate between “actual instrument time” as opposed to
“simulated instrument time.” In fact, in Part 61 it only refers to the
aeronautical experience for instrument time to be “. . . instrument
flight time, in actual or simulated instrument conditions . . .” So it
is irrelevant whether the instrument flight time is logged as “actual
instrument time” or “simulated instrument time.” Part 61 only refers
to “actual instrument conditions” or “simulated instrument
conditions.”"
Old January 29th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

At night, with no horizon and no moon you have actual
instrument conditions. You can simulate instrument
conditions in many ways, yellow plastic curtains and blue
goggles, Foggles, a hood or just look only at the panel.
There is no requirement for a hood.
About 20 years ago, the FAA in Wichita came up with a device
to block the pilot's view forward on the King Air 300, which
required a type rating and that the pilot be able to see the
entire cockpit and reach all the controls. They developed
and approved the use of a sheet metal device that was held
on the glare shield by a spring clamp. There were two metal
pieces attached in such a manner that the pilot could not
see straight ahead but allowed the examiner to see at an
angle through the pilot's windshield. The co-pilot and side
windows were not covered at all.
Eventually, they quit using it at all.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

.. .

Old January 29th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:40:00 GMT, bsalai wrote:

Does anyone know if Simulated Instrument Conditions is defined anywhere?

The reason for the question is whether one can log instrument time, say
at night, when you don't look outside, but don't wear foggles or a hood?

I can't find anything in the rules that defines simulated instrument
conditions, but since the rule for logging instrument time says both
that flight has to be solely by referenct to instruments in actual or
simulated instrument conditions, that would suggest that more is
required than "solely by reference to instruments" and therefore that
some sort of view limiting device is required.

It would certainly be easier if they defined simulated insturment
conditions though.

Brad

It is not defined in the regulations. But it was "defined" in a published
FAA Chief Counsel legal interpretation some twenty or so years ago:

--quoted text--
First, you ask for an interpretation of Section 61.51(c)(4) of the
Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) regarding the logging of instrument
flight time. You ask whether, for instance, a flight over the ocean on
a moonless night without a discernible horizon could be logged as
actual instrument flight time.
***
As you know, Section 61.51(c)(4) provides rules for the logging of
instrument flight time which may be used to meet the requirements of a
certificate or rating, or to meet the recent flight experience
requirements of Part 61. That section provides in part, that a pilot
may log as instrument flight time only that time during which he or
she operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments, under
actual (instrument meteorological conditions (imc)) or simulated
instrument flight conditions. "Simulated" instrument conditions occur
when the pilot's vision outside of the aircraft is intentionally
restricted, such as by a hood or goggles. "Actual" instrument flight
conditions occur when some outside conditions make it necessary for
the pilot to use the aircraft instruments in order to maintain
adequate control over the aircraft. Typically, these conditions
involve adverse weather conditions.
To answer your first question, actual instrument conditions may
occur in the case you described a moonless night over the ocean with
no discernible horizon, if use of the instruments is necessary to
maintain adequate control over the aircraft. The determination as to
whether flight by reference to instruments is necessary is somewhat
subjective and based in part on the sound judgment of the pilot. Note
that, under Section 61.51(b)(3), the pilot must log the conditions of
the flight. The log should include the reasons for determining that
the flight was under actual instrument conditions in case the pilot
later would be called on to prove that the actual instrument flight
time logged was legitimate.
Old January 29th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:48:41 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

At night, with no horizon and no moon you have actual
instrument conditions.

FWIW, according to the old FAQ,

"I agree with your statement that just because a person is flying “. .
.. by sole reference to instruments . . .” has nothing to do with
whether the flight can be logged as “actual instrument time” or
“simulated instrument time.” Only the weather conditions establish
whether the flight is in “actual instrument conditions.” And that is
dependent on the weather conditions where the aircraft is physically
located and the pilot makes that determination as to whether the
flight is in “actual instrument conditions” or he is performing
instrument flight under “simulated instrument conditions.” But for a
“quick and easy” answer to your question, it was always my
understanding if I were flying in weather conditions that were less
than the VFR weather minimums defined in § 91.155 and I was flying
“solely by reference to instruments” then that was the determining
factor for being able log instrument flight under “actual instrument
conditions.”

Otherwise, if I were flying solely by reference to instruments in VMC
conditions then I would log it as instrument flight in “simulated
instrument conditions.” In your example, the flight is clear of clouds
and in good visibility conditions at night over the desert with an
overcast above and no visible horizon. But other examples could
include flight between sloping cloud layers or flight between layers
of clouds at night. These could equally meet the requirement for
operations that can only be accomplished solely by reference to
instruments. But, the lack of sufficient visual reference to maintain
aircraft control without using instruments does not eliminate the
possibility of collision hazard with other aircraft or terrain."
Old January 29th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:09:13 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

[...]

Way for the FAQ from 7/05 and the Chief Council to say different
things on the exact same question!
Old January 29th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Ron:

I wrote the chief counsel's office about fifteen years ago on this
issue of logging "black hole time" after a long dispute about it on
AVSIG.
They sent me a copy of the above - supporting my position that the
criterion was "solely by reference to instruments" as opposed to "IMC"
for the logging of instrument time.

Reminds me of a time flying VFR over the top at night and the
controller asking my flight visibility. I said about 250,000 miles.
After the silence, I said that all I could see was the moon.

Old January 30th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:20:29 -0500, Peter Clark
wrote:

Way for the FAQ from 7/05 and the Chief Council to say different
things on the exact same question!

Chief Counsel trumps FAQ's.

But the Chief Counsel opinion seems to advise a complete description as to
the nature of the conditions, rather than just logging "actual"