Jepps airport and VOR names ... how used?

Old February 10th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Jepps airport and VOR names ... how used?

"John R. Copeland" wrote in message
. ..
"Allan9" wrote in message

"And so on" indeed. In 1956, the Columbus, Ohio zoo had the first gorilla
baby ever born in captivity. Shortly after, our VOR was renamed APE
(Appleton).

No it wasn't. Columbus VOR was located about three miles SSE of New Albany.
Appleton VOR is about four miles SSE of Appleton. I think the choice of
designator was more likely influenced by the name of the nearby community
than by any recent birth at the zoo.

Old February 10th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Allan9" wrote in message

"And so on" indeed. In 1956, the Columbus, Ohio zoo had the first gorilla
baby ever born in captivity. Shortly after, our VOR was renamed APE
(Appleton).

No it wasn't. Columbus VOR was located about three miles SSE of New Albany.
Appleton VOR is about four miles SSE of Appleton. I think the choice of
designator was more likely influenced by the name of the nearby community
than by any recent birth at the zoo.

You're correct about the locations, Steven, but in 1956 the stated reason for the
location change was the construction of a 720,000-volt electrical power line
whose right-of-way passed very near the old VOR location.
(That line was one of the earliest 720kV lines in the U.S.)
That region is the highest elevation in the county, and the move was said to guard
against reflections from the towers and the massive conductors of the lines.

If not for commemoration of the birth of Colo, I didn't think a change in name
was particularly mandated from moving the VOR by maybe 5 miles or so.
I guessed at the time that somebody searched hard to locate a little burg
in the vicinity which could "justify" the APE designation. :-)

Old February 10th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"John R. Copeland" wrote in message

You're correct about the locations, Steven, but in 1956 the stated reason
for the
location change was the construction of a 720,000-volt electrical power
line
whose right-of-way passed very near the old VOR location.

I said nothing about the reason a new VOR site was needed. My point was
just that the VOR had not been renamed.

Old February 11th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message ink.net...

"John R. Copeland" wrote in message

You're correct about the locations, Steven, but in 1956 the stated reason
for the
location change was the construction of a 720,000-volt electrical power
line
whose right-of-way passed very near the old VOR location.

I said nothing about the reason a new VOR site was needed. My point was
just that the VOR had not been renamed.

Ah, of course. I see what you meant.
OK, the old VOR was decommissioned, and its replacement was named APE.
It was an apt name, though.
It's immaterial that other VORs have been moved without being renamed.

Old February 11th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"John R. Copeland" wrote in message
m...

Ah, of course. I see what you meant.
OK, the old VOR was decommissioned, and its replacement was named APE.
It was an apt name, though.
It's immaterial that other VORs have been moved without being renamed.

The discussion had been about VORs that had been renamed without being
moved.

Old February 11th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
Flight data processing computers could understand and process VOR to airport
and airport to VOR routes with identical identifiers. They still do, the
VORs that had their identifiers changed were typically those that were more
than about five miles from the airport.

BUF VOR is 3.8nm from BUF airport, so that fits.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I find that anthropomorphism really doesn't help me deal with hardware all