GNS430 on the Airway

Old February 7th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GNS430 on the Airway

Hello,

I was on the ground at an uncontrolled field. I got a clearance to
"On departure fly runway heading Radar Vectors xyz VOR Victor xxx abc
VOR"

Before leaving, I programmed the entire route into the GNS430. Since
it doesn't have airways, I "synthesized" them by just putting in the
VORs and intersections.

On departure, ATC gave me kind instructions to skip the xyz VOR.
Instead, they
vectored me directly onto Victor xxx.

The 430 kept the leg "airport to xyz VOR" active, and did not give
me any guidance
except for the moving map to show when I was established on the airway.

So I waited until the little airplane was over the white line, then
went to the flight plan page and said "Direct-to" the next point on the
plan. I also had the second VOR receiver
tuned and twisted.

The '430 gave me guidance from exactly where I was - when I pushed
the Direct-to and hit Enter. Was I on the airway? Maybe a bit off,
hard to tell. The VOR receiver and
ATC were both happy.

Is there a way to change the active leg in the flight plan, so it
gives guidance "from the waypoint that you skipped to the next
waypoint" rather than "from where you were when you pressed the button
to the next waypoint"?

- Jerry Kaidor ( )

Old February 7th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Whups, looks like I answered my own question with the PC simulator.
You just choose the leg end that you want on the FPL
screen, hit "Menu" and it asks if you want to activate that leg.
Duhhh.....

- Jerry Kaidor

Old February 7th 06, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Is there a way to change the active leg in the flight plan, so it
gives guidance "from the waypoint that you skipped to the next
waypoint" rather than "from where you were when you pressed the button
to the next waypoint"?

Yes, of course. Here is how:
1. Hit [FPL] and turn on the cursor.
2. Rotate the big knob and move the cursor to the ending point of the
leg you want to intersect. (say Vxxx is defined by WayPt1, VORX, you
move the cursor to VORX)
3. Hit [Direct] TWICE (here is the trick, hit twice instead of once)
4. Hit [Enter]

Now the entire leg (Vxxx) become active. GNS430 will give you heading
to intersect the leg and advise your turn inbound VORX when you about
to intersect the Victor airway.

Some good GNS430 trick can be found at
http://flyimc.mywowbb.com/

Old February 7th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

" wrote:
Is there a way to change the active leg in the flight plan, so it
gives guidance "from the waypoint that you skipped to the next
waypoint" rather than "from where you were when you pressed the button
to the next waypoint"?

On the 480, that feature is called "Fly Leg" (found on the -D- menu). I
can only guess that the 430 has something similar.
Old February 7th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On the 480, that feature is called "Fly Leg" (found on the -D- menu). I
can only guess that the 430 has something similar.

I don't think so.
UPSAV/IIMorrow employed a totally different logic than Garmin.
Old February 7th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

That's one major limitation of the Garmin products. Not having airways
is very, very irritating especially to those of us that fly in high
traffic areas (such as L.A.). When an approach controller machine guns
you with a new 6 airway route without giving you any intersections it
leaves you jumping for your chart. When I had my king unit, I would
just put the pink airplane line on top of the blue airway line and I
was done. I hope Garmin addresses this someday.

-Robert

Old February 8th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert M. Gary wrote:

That's one major limitation of the Garmin products. Not having airways
is very, very irritating especially to those of us that fly in high
traffic areas (such as L.A.). When an approach controller machine guns
you with a new 6 airway route without giving you any intersections it
leaves you jumping for your chart. When I had my king unit, I would
just put the pink airplane line on top of the blue airway line and I
was done. I hope Garmin addresses this someday.

-Robert

The present 400/500s don't have enough memory. The so-called WAAS mod
will provide a whole lot horsepower. I suspect then they could provide
an airway database, but they sure ain't talking.

Also, their 31 leg flight plan limitation if far too restrictive. My
Garmin 296 does a lot better than that!
Old February 8th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The present 400/500s don't have enough memory. The so-called WAAS mod
will provide a whole lot horsepower. I suspect then they could provide
an airway database, but they sure ain't talking.

That is what Garmin said. Its interesting to consider that my ancient
King SkymapIIIc color moving map handheld has airways as does the
little PocketFMS program I keep on the PDA in my pocket. So when will
the Garmin be able to handle the amount of data that takes up 1/100th
of the SD card in my pocket is already handling?? Personally, I think
they underestimated the importance of it because the guys back east
don't have mountains and therefor don't often fly airways when GPS
equipped. Out here, the airways is what threads you through the pass.

-Robert

Old February 8th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Personally, I think
they underestimated the importance of it because the guys back east
don't have mountains and therefor don't often fly airways when GPS
equipped. Out here, the airways is what threads you through the pass.

With regards to airways and the northeast US, your statement is not true.
Traffic volume and ATC flow result in all IFR traffic being routed over
victor airways. Direct between most of the major airports is only given
after midnight and before 6:00am.

--
Peter
Old February 8th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

But the workaround is very easy... if V123 goes throug the abc bca and cab
VOR's then you creat the flight plan wiht waypoints at each vor or
intersection on the route. If you are off airway and choose to fly TO the
airway, simply go to the FPL screen, select teh NEXT fix on the plan and
activate the leg. Your CDI will be in relation to that leg, not a direct
line to the fix.

Tho i do wish you could simply put AIRPORTA D- abcVOR-V123-cabVORD D-
AIRPORTB. But it only saves a few entries on most flights. And in reality
I've NEVER gotten what i was cleared for IFR wise when i filed /G.... I
MIGHT get to the second fix, then its "Proceed Direct AIRPORTB" or something
similar that cuts off about 20 minutes of flying time.

oups.com...