Replacement for C130?

Old September 26th 03, 01:42 PM
John Penta

Default Replacement for C130?

Been thinking randomly here.

Is there any replacement for the C130 anywhere?

Specifically, for short/rough-field use?

I mean, hell. C130s nearly 50, ain't it?
Old September 26th 03, 03:10 PM
walt moffett

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:42:07 -0400,
John Penta wrote:
Been thinking randomly here.

Is there any replacement for the C130 anywhere?

Specifically, for short/rough-field use?

I mean, hell. C130s nearly 50, ain't it?

the A model is, however a new shiny C-130J is available. I think the C130
will be flying for a long time.

it appears to have the durability of a pickup truck.

Old September 26th 03, 03:10 PM
Darrell A. Larose

John Penta ) writes:
Been thinking randomly here.

Is there any replacement for the C130 anywhere?

Specifically, for short/rough-field use?

I mean, hell. C130s nearly 50, ain't it?

The C-130J seems to fit the bill

Old September 26th 03, 04:25 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Penta" wrote in message

Been thinking randomly here.

Is there any replacement for the C130 anywhere?

Specifically, for short/rough-field use?

I mean, hell. C130s nearly 50, ain't it?

Depends on what you consider it's birthday. The specification that resulted
in the C-130 was issued by TAC in 1951, the first production contract was
awarded in September 1952, first flight was in August 1954, first production
delivery was in December 1956. While the C-130 has been in USAF service for
almost 47 years, the oldest C-130 in USAF service is a bit younger than
that. The C-130A, B, and D versions have all been retired, the oldest
version still in service is the C-130E, which was built from 1962 to 1975.
The newest version is the C-130J, which is still being produced. The C-130
will be around for a long time.

Old September 26th 03, 08:05 PM
Ulf Jørgensen

The European A400M )

Se the url
http://www.eads.com/eads/en/index.ht.../a400m/a400m.x
ml&miltrair

Ulf

Old September 27th 03, 04:11 AM
tscottme

Ulf Jørgensen wrote in message
The European A400M )

Yeah A400M, if anyone lives long enough to see it fly. ;-)

--

Scott
--------

Old September 27th 03, 04:39 AM
Gene Storey

Anything with 4 turbo-props, and can carry a fully loaded
M-1 battle tank 700 miles.

Old September 27th 03, 07:02 PM
Lyle

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:40:20 +0200, "Jeroen Wenting"
wrote:

the only replacement for a C130 is another C130.

"John Penta" wrote in message
.. .
Been thinking randomly here.

Is there any replacement for the C130 anywhere?

Specifically, for short/rough-field use?

I mean, hell. C130s nearly 50, ain't it?

there was the Boeing yc-14 and the McD yc-15

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/amst.asp#yc15

these were late 1970's aircraft that were meant to replace the C-130
but budget ran out.