What's the best way to install a new tire tube ?

Old March 7th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What's the best way to install a new tire tube ?

I have an ASW-15B. Anyone have any good advice to make sure I safely
and securely install a new "tube" inside my tire? The tire tread
looks good, it just needs air everytime I show up to fly it.

I would hate to blow a flat on takeoff then have to reject or worse
end up in a ground loop due to a blowout....could happen. If anyone
has any steps, measures or procedures that they can pass on, I would
really like to know. I have never put a tube on an airplane before, I
have put tubes on bicycle tires, which I imagine the basic basic steps
are roughly the same. Any knowledge....please advise.

SA

Old March 7th 09, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
shywon

On Mar 6, 9:32*pm, wrote:
I have an ASW-15B. *Anyone have any good advice to make sure I safely
and securely install a new "tube" inside my tire? *The tire tread
looks good, it just needs air everytime I show up to fly it.

I would hate to blow a flat on takeoff then have to reject or worse
end up in a ground loop due to a blowout....could happen. *If anyone
has any steps, measures or procedures that they can pass on, I would
really like to know. *I have never put a tube on an airplane before, I
have put tubes on bicycle tires, which I imagine the basic basic steps
are roughly the same. *Any knowledge....please advise.

SA

Have you tried tightening or replacing the valve stem yet?
Old March 7th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

wrote:
I have an ASW-15B. Anyone have any good advice to make sure I safely
and securely install a new "tube" inside my tire? The tire tread
looks good, it just needs air everytime I show up to fly it.

I would hate to blow a flat on takeoff then have to reject or worse
end up in a ground loop due to a blowout....could happen. If anyone
has any steps, measures or procedures that they can pass on, I would
really like to know. I have never put a tube on an airplane before, I
have put tubes on bicycle tires, which I imagine the basic basic steps
are roughly the same. Any knowledge....please advise.

How old are the tire and tube? If it's more than 10 years, I recommend a
new tire and tube; if it's less than 5 years, remove the tire and tube
and inspect it. In between - probably worth doing either one.

I have no idea how to do this properly unless it's a Cleveland wheel,
the only kind I'm familiar with.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes"
http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old March 7th 09, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Mar 6, 8:31*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote:
[...]

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

Most glider wheels that I've seen have a hub that bolts together.
It's a LOT easier to change out a tire/tube than most types of tires.
Let all the air out, then unbolt the wheel halves. Once they're
unbolted, it may take a bit of effort to get it loose from the tire,
but once you get one wheel half out, it should be very easy to remove
the tube and replace it. With the new tube in place, put enough air
in it to keep it from being pinched when you bolt the wheel halves
back together. Avoid cheap tubes. I bought and installed a cheapo
last year, and regret it. I have to add air to the tire every other
week.

Old March 7th 09, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Uncle Fuzzy"

Most glider wheels that I've seen have a hub that bolts together.
It's a LOT easier to change out a tire/tube than most types of tires.
Let all the air out, then unbolt the wheel halves. Once they're
unbolted, it may take a bit of effort to get it loose from the tire,"

What Uncle Fuzzy said *except*!

If you plan to re-use the tube, and maybe even if not, you do not want to
unbolt the wheel halves until after you break the tire beads. Let the air
out, break the beads, then unbolt the wheel halves.

If you do unbolt the wheel halves first, and then have difficulty breaking
the beads, it's easy to pinch the tube between the wheel halves as you work
to get the beads pushed towards the center of the wheel.

bumper
zz
Minden

Old March 7th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

What Uncle Fuzzy said *except*!

If you plan to re-use the tube, and maybe even if not, you do not want to
unbolt the wheel halves until after you break the tire beads. Let the air
out, break the beads, then unbolt the wheel halves.

If you do unbolt the wheel halves first, and then have difficulty breaking
the beads, it's easy to pinch the tube between the wheel halves as you work
to get the beads pushed towards the center of the wheel.

bumper
zz
Minden

Yeah! What HE said....

Old March 7th 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Mar 6, 8:32*pm, wrote:
I have an ASW-15B. *Anyone have any good advice to make sure I safely
and securely install a new "tube" inside my tire? *The tire tread
looks good, it just needs air everytime I show up to fly it.

I would hate to blow a flat on takeoff then have to reject or worse
end up in a ground loop due to a blowout....could happen. *If anyone
has any steps, measures or procedures that they can pass on, I would
really like to know. *I have never put a tube on an airplane before, I
have put tubes on bicycle tires, which I imagine the basic basic steps
are roughly the same. *Any knowledge....please advise.

SA

What everybody else said - plus I'd suggest coating the tube and
inside of the tire with talc to prevent the tube from sticking. That
helps the tube even itself out reducing the chance of wrinkles and
pinching.
Old March 7th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Mar 6, 11:05*pm, "bumper" wrote:
"Uncle Fuzzy"

Most glider wheels that I've seen have a hub that bolts together.
It's a LOT easier to change out a tire/tube than most types of tires.
Let all the air out, then unbolt the wheel halves. *Once they're
unbolted, it may take a bit of effort to get it loose from the tire,"

What Uncle Fuzzy said *except*!

If you plan to re-use the tube, and maybe even if not, you do not want to
unbolt the wheel halves until after you break the tire beads. Let the air
out, break the beads, then unbolt the wheel halves.

If you do unbolt the wheel halves first, and then have difficulty breaking
the beads, it's easy to pinch the tube between the wheel halves as you work
to get the beads pushed towards the center of the wheel.

bumper
zz
Minden

But then what do you do with those cans of Fix-a-Flat? Luckily there
you don't need to waste those cans. The propellant can give you quite
a buzz... so if you stick the hose in your nose and give it a little
quirt you can get a convenient high. Just *don't* shake the can
beforehand and hold it perfectly upright because you don't want too
much of that goo going up your nose (a little won't hurt).

---

Grrr. If your tire or valve is leaking *fix it*. Who wants to spend a
flight worrying about whether some junk fix-a-flat repair might have
failed or whether it is masking some serious problem like a pinched
inner tube. Who even wants to waste a trip to the gliderport to fly to
find the Fix-a-Flat has failed. And Fix-a-Flat et al takes a while to
set, how are you supposed to spin the wheel long enough to get the
stuff to coat properly? I bet you'll feel the out of balance from the
ball of latex snot in the bottom of the tube.

Sigh

Darryl
Old March 7th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

there is only one way....remove the wheel, split the hub after removing the
5 bolts on 5" wheels (only three if it's the older type 4" wheel) that hold
the two halves together and remove and replace the old inner tube with a new
one..reverse the procedure and re-install.....You probably might as well
replace the old tire too unless it is only a few years old....tires do
degrade with time so even one with plenty of tread (I rarely see glider
tires that show much tread wear since most are flown off grass and spend
little time and energy on the ground)
This is one maintenance area where owner/operators are allowed to do the
work without an A&I sighing it off.
tim