Fuel Compatability of PVC ? CPVC ?

Old January 20th 04, 12:41 AM
Tjeerd

Default Fuel Compatability of PVC ? CPVC ?

I am building leading edge fiberglass tanks. I need
to insert a 3/8" I.D. tube about 8 ft long in which to insert the fuel
level probe. I have concerns about the long term effects of fuel on
the type of tubing I see in the plumbing/electrical dept in a the "Big
Box" stores. Will this type of product stand up to aviation and auto
fuel. If not I would like some idea or suggestions of a good product
for this type of application
Old January 21st 04, 10:19 PM
Wright1902Glider

From my experience in pneumatic automation and materials handling, (I sold a
LOT of tubing), the answer is probably not. PVC reacts with a lot of aeromatic
hydrocarbons, and gasoline is a very powerful one. But if all you need is
3/8" ID, you can probably get what you need at an auto parts or marine store.
DO NOT tell the guy its for an airplane. Tell him you need 3/8" ID fuel hose
for your hotrod / custom / racing boat, etc. Then ask if its rated for leaded
racing fuel. A good parts house should have something that will work. A
racing / custom car shop would probably be an even better source. Make sure
that whatever they try to sell you is marked on its side as "fuel hose".

If that doesn't get you anywhere, e-mail me. I'll hook you up with one of the
tubing suppliers I used when I built drum-pump based chemical transfer systems.

Harry

Old January 31st 04, 03:03 PM
Greg Reid

Drats! I've already installed (quite solidly) a 1-inch white PVC pipe
(thinwall pressure pipe, from Lowes) in each of my wings, for
electrical conduit thru the wet wings. Before doing so, I let a small
piece of it soak in fuel for several days, and at the end it seemed
completely unaffected. But several days isn't the same as several
years of course...

Well, I guess my plan now will be to carefully and completely coat the
PVC tubing with ProSeal when I seal my tanks, as an added barrier to
any possible reaction.

Greg Reid
Old February 6th 04, 02:31 PM
Wright1902Glider

That might do it. I'm not saying, of course, that 110LL and PVC don't mix at
all, or that you would necessarily have problems with a PVC pipe imersed in
110LL. However, I don't recall ever seeing that particular combination
recommended anywhere in any of my compatibility charts.

Just for gets -n- shiggles, here's what I'd do. Find a local industrial
supplier in your area that sells either Ingersoll-Rand, Lincoln, or Graco
diaphragm pumps. (They'll probably be either hydraulic or pneumatic equipment
suppliers.) Tell them you are thinking about setting up a fuel transfer
system, and ask for a recomendation on the type of pipe material and pump you
should use. Make sure you tell them that you're gonna pump 110LL, that you
need a very lightweight system, BS, etc. They may have a few ideas.

BTW, was there any reason that an aluminum tube could not have been used?

Harry

Old February 6th 04, 02:49 PM
Cy Galley

PVC is very easy to join. Aluminum takes special expensive fittings
especially in the larger sizes.

Old February 9th 04, 01:37 PM
Wright1902Glider

How about thin walled copper?

Fuel dump switch in homebuilt Jay Home Built 36 December 5th 03 02:21 AM
Fuel Drip Containment Sven Home Built 28 October 27th 03 10:28 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
Fuel pressure Problems smf Home Built 3 September 7th 03 08:25 PM