Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Old March 18th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Default Pitot tube adjustment was Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Highflyer wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
All it takes is a little collar on the pitot tube (and a bit of tweaking
the position)

That is how we calibrate the airspeed indicator to get it reading with
reasonable accuracy. Old CG himself taught me that one. :-)

Of course, nowadays, you have to tweak the GPS also!

Anybody have photos of such a collar? Or able to give a good description?
Old March 18th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Highflyer wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
All it takes is a little collar on the pitot tube (and a bit of
tweaking
the position)

That is how we calibrate the airspeed indicator to get it reading
with reasonable accuracy. Old CG himself taught me that one. :-)

Of course, nowadays, you have to tweak the GPS also!

Anybody have photos of such a collar? Or able to give a good
description?

Pretty sure there's one in Tony Bengelis' books. But you just take a
collet and slide it over the tube and then experiment by moving it back
and forth until your ASI is doing what you think is right.

Bertie
Old March 18th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Anybody have photos of such a collar? Or able to give a good
description?

Pretty sure there's one in Tony Bengelis' books. But you just take a
collet and slide it over the tube and then experiment by moving it back
and forth until your ASI is doing what you think is right.

Bertie

I tried that on my Johnson Rocket and got it to indicate 200 MPH in
level flight! Of course, it stalled at 100 instead of 60. ;)

All it is is an O-ring or something similar placed ahead of the static
pickup in the pitot/static system. This works only on planes that have a
combined pitot/static head, not on those that have the flush-mounted
static port on the side f the fuselage.

Old March 18th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
gatt[_2_]

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

They shut down NWPilot's historical old grass strip airport for
development. Last time I drove by, it's closed, but the field itself is
still undeveloped. 'Course with the huge condos all around so close to
the airport that they required red lights on the roof, it's no surprise
that complaints against the airport exploded and the outside developers
were able to make a case to shut it down.

Where abouts are you located, gatt?

We are looking at a possible move up to the Portland area this summer.

East of Portland, a few miles from Troutdale Aiport at the mouth of the
Columbia Gorge. Excellent airport. Portland's expensive right now but
the housing market is flattening. email me at gatt at juggerbot dot com
if you have any questions about moving.

-chris

Old March 18th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Anybody have photos of such a collar? Or able to give a good
description?

Pretty sure there's one in Tony Bengelis' books. But you just take a
collet and slide it over the tube and then experiment by moving it

back
and forth until your ASI is doing what you think is right.

Bertie

I tried that on my Johnson Rocket and got it to indicate 200 MPH in
level flight! Of course, it stalled at 100 instead of 60. ;)

All it is is an O-ring or something similar placed ahead of the static
pickup in the pitot/static system. This works only on planes that have

combined pitot/static head, not on those that have the flush-mounted
static port on the side f the fuselage.

Ah, OK, you mean the ones with two tubes, right?

Bertie
Old March 18th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Bertie

I tried that on my Johnson Rocket and got it to indicate 200 MPH in
level flight! Of course, it stalled at 100 instead of 60. ;)

All it is is an O-ring or something similar placed ahead of the static
pickup in the pitot/static system. This works only on planes that have

combined pitot/static head, not on those that have the flush-mounted
static port on the side f the fuselage.

Ah, OK, you mean the ones with two tubes, right?

It doesn't matter -- all you have to do is be able to erect an airflow
fence ahead of the static pickup. This is one of the oldest tricks in
aviation -- dating back to at least the Thirties. It enabled salesmen to
sell a lot of "fast" airplanes!

Old March 18th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:03:18 -0700 (PDT), William Hung wrote:

You have attacked the Caveman and now BobR? These two have been good
contributors to these RA groups for years ever since I was just a
lurker. You on the other hand having contributed much. Writers and
readers here can tell who's who.

Wil

Here's something you can read and it's not from me.

http://fmi.typepad.com/lwyp/2008/03/survey-results.html
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
Old March 18th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 05:09:55 -0600, Neil Gould wrote:

A brief example; you will learn that you can't be off the runway by 20
meters at most airports without things getting ugly. You will also learn
that there will be times when you will be unable to take off or land at a
chosen airport, and how to judge those times reasonably well.

Here's an article extolling a few of the problems of airparks. Note the
one extraneous activities on the runways.

Old March 18th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:32:31 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

North Captiva is small, apparently with only 20-30 homes there.

Many more than that.

The
residents would have to shell out a lot of money in lawyers' fees if
somebody mounted a strong movement against them.

They got it, I doubt there are any homes under $1M

The Chicken Littles
would pour out of the woodwork, crying "The sky is FALLING!" In steps
Mr. Foxy Loxy, promising to develop houses on the site, if only they can
get rid of those pesky, dangerous airplanes.

So much for the above, Orval.

If you are telling the truth, please accept my apologies.

I have seen too many airport battles where developers have stirred
things up withthe "natives" in order to destroy airports in the name of
"safety."

Here's an article that you can take back to your own airpark. FYI.

Old March 18th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:30:47 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote:

I am asking the group for assistance in developing a list of
instructional
and solo experiences, testing, mandatory reading.....if you ran the
FAA,
what would you require in a near-perfect world that a PPL would
require? I
am a zero-hour wannabe pilot FYI

Note sig below.

I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
just a rather slow student who's not qualified to give advice that
might kill someone.

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? WJRFlyBoy Piloting 257 March 28th 08 01:26 PM
Airparks... .Blueskies. Owning 9 May 8th 06 04:14 PM
Airparks and clubs around Phoenix AZ ? gilan Home Built 3 March 9th 06 01:07 PM
Airparks near Austin TX TIm Gilbert Owning 14 October 3rd 05 03:18 PM
A New, New Direction for a Beaten Dead Horse Shawn Soaring 0 February 25th 05 01:57 PM