Icing conditions

Old November 29th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

Default Icing conditions

Maybe he can rig a 200 pound CO2 bottle that can blast him,
simulating flight into a CB at the freezing level.

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
| "B A R R Y" wrote in message
| et...
| Mxsmanic wrote:
| From what I understand, icing protection should be
turned on if the
| outside temperature is 5° C or less. However, what is
the reason for
| not having it on all the time?
|
| Some ice protection equipment uses a fluid that is of
limited quantity
| on-board, not to mention that it costs money.
|
| He can always pause and go to the fridge for more fluids.
|
| Other ice protection devices can put a drain on a
smaller aircraft's

Old November 29th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y[_2_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
Maybe he can rig a 200 pound CO2 bottle that can blast him,
simulating flight into a CB at the freezing level.

And end up looking like Dr. Evil's cat? G
Old November 29th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
N2310D

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
From what I understand, icing protection should be turned on if the
outside temperature is 5° C or less. However, what is the reason for
not having it on all the time? Does it overheat in normal weather, or
what?

I read that turning on icing protection before "sufficient ice has
accumulated" may prevent the protection from working to remove the
ice. Why?

Also, what types of anti-icing stuff should I turn on? Just
everything that deals with ice (wing, prop, pitot, fuel vent, etc.),
or is there an accepted order or hierarchy for these things?

Once again, you are revealing your stupidity to us by the inane questions
you ask. You are such an idiot.

Since you said in another post (quoting exactly) about the sources of your
information:

"I also get a lot from textbooks, manuals, standard reference materials, and
reliable online resources. In some cases I get it directly from people I
believe to be qualified to provide it (which is not the same as people who
_claim_ to be qualified--there isn't always a lot of overlap)."

I suggest you go to those sources for this information. Few of us are
quailified to answer your questions since most of us possess airmen's
certificates and fly airplanes, not MSFS and the ilk.

Old November 29th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"N2310D" wrote in

I suggest you go to those sources for this information. Few of us are
quailified to answer your questions since most of us possess airmen's
certificates and fly airplanes, not MSFS and the ilk.

FINALLY a reply that makes sense..... Unfortunately, it will fall on the
deaf ears of Mx.....

Soooo, the best reply to Mx would be no reply.....

Allen
Old November 29th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

I am not sure why you guys are beating up the guy. He may not be a real
pilot, but I have not found his questions to be offensive, off-topic or
even ignorant. To the contrary, he has posed several questions in the
past that many of us were unable to answer, or revealed lack of
knowledge on our part. In those cases, it is the real pilots who I have
seen to misbehave. I can't recall Mxsmanic to have lost his cool
despite all the things that poeple call him.

A Lieberma wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in
:

Too many systems to explain here, read the POH or a good
training manual.

Talk about wasted advise.....

Mx doesn't even read the replies, much less anything he's been shown to
read like references or POHs.

Allen

Old November 29th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
N2310D

"A Lieberma" wrote in message
. 18...
"N2310D" wrote in

I suggest you go to those sources for this information. Few of us are
quailified to answer your questions since most of us possess airmen's
certificates and fly airplanes, not MSFS and the ilk.

FINALLY a reply that makes sense..... Unfortunately, it will fall on the
deaf ears of Mx.....

Soooo, the best reply to Mx would be no reply.....

Allen

Hi Allen. Well, I sat back in the shadows and ignored Mx's stupidity for a
long time. In this case, I wasn't really replying to his post, only pointing
out to him what a dullard he is.

Old November 29th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

"Jim Macklin" writes:

Exactly what is turned ON depends on the airplane and the
type of ice protection installed.

In the Baron (simulated), I have Pitot Heat, Fuel Vent Heat, Stall
Warn Heat, Prop, Windshield, and Surface. I can figure out what they
all do except "Surface" (leading edge heat or something?), but I'm not
sure which ones can be left on under what conditions.

The manual only mentions "Ice Protection Systems - as required" in a
checklist, but does not explain what they are for (the sim manual is
presumably more limited than the real one, although some portions are
taken directly out of the real one).

I've only experienced icing once in the sim, when the pitot tube froze
up. I haven't really figured out how to configure the sim to
guarantee that I have ice. It's on my list of things to practice.

Pitot and windshield heat, are OK to run all the time in
flight, but if pitot heat is used on the ground for a long
period, the chrome will turn a pretty purple, so test it on
the ground [don't burn your hand] and then turn it on before
take-off.

Is there a thermostat or something in ice protection hardware to keep
it from overheating if it isn't really that cold outside?

Old November 29th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am not sure why you guys are beating up the guy. He may not be a real
pilot, but I have not found his questions to be offensive, off-topic or
even ignorant. To the contrary, he has posed several questions in the
past that many of us were unable to answer, or revealed lack of
knowledge on our part. In those cases, it is the real pilots who I have
seen to misbehave. I can't recall Mxsmanic to have lost his cool
despite all the things that poeple call him.

It's not his questions that we have a problem with. It his responses to the
answers he receives.

Old November 29th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Ron Garret writes:

Except for boots, the safest policy is to just turn it all on if there's
any possibility of ice.

And how do I recognize a possibility of ice? Should I assume that any
time I enter a cloud? Is there a safe external temperature above
which ice is never an issue? Logically I'd assume that ice would form
at zero degrees Celsius, but I don't know what margin above that to
provide. At the same time, I don't want to wear things out (even
though they never wear out in the sim) by running them when there's no
real chance of ice.

If ice starts to collect on places like the wings, what's the first
thing I would notice in the way the aircraft behaves? I do have a
light that shines on the wing so I can look at it, but I need to know
what the symptoms are of ice build-up as well.

Old November 29th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

B A R R Y writes:

Ice protection isn't always needed when it's cold, you also need
moisture to create ice.

But without a measurement of humidity on board, how do you know if
there's moisture out there (apart from the obvious case of visible
clouds or fog)?