A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Buying my first glider

Old November 6th 13, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Buying my first glider

Hi I bought a glider in Alberta and had a friend working there inspect it
and followed his recommendation to buy it, a good decision. Now the fun
story of getting it to Quebec, a 4 day trip. I found a student driving to
Montreal over the Easter weekend. Sent all the info to him which he did not
read, his father was a glider pilot and he thought he knew which glider to
take. After 3 days and nights of driving with his girlfriend he got to our
meeting place with the wrong trailer. Gilles

Chortle! It's been said the difference between comedy and tragedy is comedy
happens to someone else...

For the record, all of my personal glider purchasing trips were GOOD
adventures...even though a friend and I once had to beg and wheedle to be
allowed back into our native country from Canada one time after he picked up a
"timed-out" L13 some years ago.

Bob W.
Old November 6th 13, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

To balance others' fond remembrances of road trips... my experience of retrieving my new glider (just 700 miles) is bad.

Due to my primary location, I have low tolerance for traffic and drivers in metropolitan areas. Being the slow guy with the big trailer and trying to change lanes?? Awwrgh!

At this point, if I had to do it over again, I would hire a professional driver for the initial long retrieve.

I understand that hauling gliders in trailers is part of the sport. I co-locate seasonally at two airports 80 miles apart, so I'm getting more comfortable with this necessity and I plan to gradually increase my range.

Old November 8th 13, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]
external usenet poster

Absolutely get it inspected. Preferably by someone that a) knows gliders b) knows paperwork c) isn't closely tied to the glider or seller.

Properly repaired, damage history is no big deal, but you want to know about it up front. I don't recommend having the person who's been signing the Logbook do the inspection unless you personally know them. They will have no interest in highlighting anything questionable about the glider or the paperwork since they've signed their name to past inspections.

Since most gliders are Experimental, any A&P can sign off on the Conditional Inspection. Which means it may or may not have been given a proper inspection. Lot's of people out there with an A&P that will help a friend out and sign the logbook so they can go flying that day. If the inspections have routinely been signed off by a reputable shop, this is less of a concern.

My advice would be to find someone reputable to perform a full inspection of the glider. They may as well sign off on the Conditional/Annual Inspection while they are at it. Then you've got a good understanding of the state the glider is in from the beginning.

Chances are it is fine, but it is money well spent in my book and a fraction of what you are spending on the glider and getting it home.

Morgan

On Friday, November 1, 2013 3:52:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Pilots,

Thanks for all your help in the prior thread about selecting a ship:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/USacPAI8Pm4

I've decided on an ASW 27, Ventus 2, or LS6. If a pristine ASW20 or Ventus C were to show up, I would strongly consider one of those as well.

There is a ship I'm considering in South Carolina. I'm in contact with the seller, however, he seems busy and has only sent minimal info and a few pictures.

I was considering having an A&P person inspect the ship before I went through the expense of a flight from Seattle to South Carolina. Is that a good idea? Has anyone done that? Any tips on what to ask for?

If the inspection works out, and I fly out and decide I like the ship, does anyone know of a company or service to use to ship a glider across the country (and can recommend)?

Thanks!

-Jason

Old November 12th 13, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 1, 2013 3:52:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Pilots,

Thanks for all your help in the prior thread about selecting a ship:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/USacPAI8Pm4

I've decided on an ASW 27, Ventus 2, or LS6. If a pristine ASW20 or Ventus C were to show up, I would strongly consider one of those as well.

There is a ship I'm considering in South Carolina. I'm in contact with the seller, however, he seems busy and has only sent minimal info and a few pictures.

I was considering having an A&P person inspect the ship before I went through the expense of a flight from Seattle to South Carolina. Is that a good idea? Has anyone done that? Any tips on what to ask for?

If the inspection works out, and I fly out and decide I like the ship, does anyone know of a company or service to use to ship a glider across the country (and can recommend)?

Thanks!

-Jason

I bought an ASH26E this year sightonseen based on the recommendation of people that I trusted. The purchase worked out fine, but the trailer wiring was buggered up and I had to spend an hour or two rewiring the connector. I always come prepared for such contingencies, but many don't. I also replaced the tires which were 8 years old (take my word for it, trailer tire blowouts are no fun!). So don't forget to have the trailer inspected as well as the glider!

Tom

Old November 12th 13, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:42:50 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
the trailer wiring was buggered up and I had to spend an hour or two rewiring the connector.

If you are unhappy with the reliability of your trailer to vehicle electrical connection, I recommend upgrading to this http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-a...lash-boot.html

This boot uses the Powerpole self-cleaning stainless steel spring contacts.
A lot of people are using Powerpoles for other connections and may have already invested in the crimping tool
Old November 12th 13, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:24:11 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:42:50 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:

the trailer wiring was buggered up and I had to spend an hour or two rewiring the connector.

If you are unhappy with the reliability of your trailer to vehicle electrical connection, I recommend upgrading to this http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-a...lash-boot.html

This boot uses the Powerpole self-cleaning stainless steel spring contacts.

A lot of people are using Powerpoles for other connections and may have already invested in the crimping tool

Just make sure to have handy a pigtail to adapt to the plug that everyone else at your flying area uses. You'll want them to be able to pull you out of the cow pasture when you've accidentally left the keys to your vehicle in your pocket. ;-)

Craig
Old November 12th 13, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 8, 2013 11:26:57 AM UTC-5, Morgan wrote:
Absolutely get it inspected. Preferably by someone that a) knows gliders b) knows paperwork c) isn't closely tied to the glider or seller. Properly repaired, damage history is no big deal, but you want to know about it up front. I don't recommend having the person who's been signing the Logbook do the inspection unless you personally know them. They will have no interest in highlighting anything questionable about the glider or the paperwork since they've signed their name to past inspections. Since most gliders are Experimental, any A&P can sign off on the Conditional Inspection. Which means it may or may not have been given a proper inspection. Lot's of people out there with an A&P that will help a friend out and sign the logbook so they can go flying that day. If the inspections have routinely been signed off by a reputable shop, this is less of a concern. My advice would be to find someone reputable to perform a full inspection of the glider. They may as well sign off on the Conditional/Annual Inspection while they are at it. Then you've got a good understanding of the state the glider is in from the beginning. Chances are it is fine, but it is money well spent in my book and a fraction of what you are spending on the glider and getting it home. Morgan On Friday, November 1, 2013 3:52:07 PM UTC-7,

There is no inspection called "conditional inspection". There is an inspection that may be done ny an A&P called an condition inspection. I have seen no reason to expect that an A&P is less likely to properly perform such an inspection than one holding an inspection authorization.
I do agree that an experience independent look is a good idea.
UH
Old November 12th 13, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Vreeken
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:13:36 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, November 8, 2013 11:26:57 AM UTC-5, Morgan wrote: Absolutely get it inspected. Preferably by someone that a) knows gliders b) knows paperwork c) isn't closely tied to the glider or seller. Properly repaired, damage history is no big deal, but you want to know about it up front. I don't recommend having the person who's been signing the Logbook do the inspection unless you personally know them. They will have no interest in highlighting anything questionable about the glider or the paperwork since they've signed their name to past inspections. Since most gliders are Experimental, any A&P can sign off on the Conditional Inspection. Which means it may or may not have been given a proper inspection. Lot's of people out there with an A&P that will help a friend out and sign the logbook so they can go flying that day. If the inspections have routinely been signed off by a reputable shop, this is less of a concern. My advice would be to find someone reputable to perform a full inspection of the glider. They may as well sign off on the Conditional/Annual Inspection while they are at it. Then you've got a good understanding of the state the glider is in from the beginning. Chances are it is fine, but it is money well spent in my book and a fraction of what you are spending on the glider and getting it home. Morgan On Friday, November 1, 2013 3:52:07 PM UTC-7, There is no inspection called "conditional inspection". There is an inspection that may be done ny an A&P called an condition inspection. I have seen no reason to expect that an A&P is less likely to properly perform such an inspection than one holding an inspection authorization. I do agree that an experience independent look is a good idea. UH

Just drove 4800 kms in 4 days to pick up a new glider.Had a friend riding shotgun to help with the drive.Also bought unseen based on person's reputation.It was as expected.Road trips can be fun ! :-) D.V
Old November 12th 13, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]
external usenet poster

ok Dennis........out with it, what did you get??

Brad
Old November 12th 13, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Vreeken
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:02:27 PM UTC-8, Brad wrote:
ok Dennis........out with it, what did you get?? Brad

Top secret Brad! LAK17a