Cheap remote control keyboards from china for flight!

Old February 1st 14, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

Default Cheap remote control keyboards from china for flight!

Hi, got some news ..
I think many software manufacturers will adopt these kind of keyboards.
They come really cheap on Amazon and Ebay , I paid mine 7,99 !!!
They have more than 20 hours autonomy with their own battery, and they pair
perfectly with all devices.

I have just made a video of how I have implemented this keyboard inside our
free software (LK).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXw-H...ature=youtu.be

Since the keys are too small to be used in flight as a keyboard , I have
programmed the keyboard to become a sort of a "touchscreen".
Instead of clicking on the screen of the PNA, you click on the tiny
keyboard, holding it like if it was a remote TV control.
The result: keyboard can be used blindly and also with gloves on.
Otherwise, trying to catch up a single key would require the pilot to
actually look INSIDE the cockpit, which is bad.

It took me some time to understand that the correct approach was to
transform the keyboard into a "touch screen" but as you can see in the video
the result is absolutely good.

For this money, I would call it a bargain.

Paolo

Old February 1st 14, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Why is this better than using a trackball?
Old February 1st 14, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

Why in your opinion televisions and remote appliances come with remote
controllers and not with a trackball?
Usability, they call it.
Apart from this, point me to a bluetooth HID trackball costing less than 10
dollars, with a LiPo battery, no wires please.
You can argue that your trackball is great. Nevertheless people with a
television at home do not use trackballs.
Watch the video and figure out yourself how many dozens time this keyboard
is, compared to the trackball.

Old February 1st 14, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Your reaction seems defensive, but I did not attack. From a "maker" point of view, I think that it is cool that you mapped the array of keys onto the screen. But it is not obvious what that buys you compared to a mini-trackball.

I only have space for one cursor controller in the sailplane, so I'd favor the one that works best. Bluetooth and batteries make installation easier, but I don't want a loose remote control floating around in negative-G. You could velcro your keyboard to your thigh.

On Friday, January 31, 2014 10:33:21 PM UTC-5, pcool wrote:
Why in your opinion televisions and remote appliances come with remote
controllers and not with a trackball?
Usability, they call it.

I agree that using a trackball takes a bit of practice, but it is very usable after you get used to it.

Old February 1st 14, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:40:14 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Your reaction seems defensive, but I did not attack. From a "maker" point of view, I think that it is cool that you mapped the array of keys onto the screen. But it is not obvious what that buys you compared to a mini-trackball.

I thought this was covered not that long ago in another thread - too lazy to look it up. In a nutshell, try using a trackball when scooting along on a ridge at 100kts with +/- 2G bumps every couple of seconds. Not fun. Key-based (up/down/left/right/select)controllers with positive tactile response and discreet actions are SO much easier to work with. HOTAS controls on military aircraft are a good example.
Old February 1st 14, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Before she retired, my wife had to use a trackball due to carpal tunnel
syndrome. At least with those that we bought for home use, the ball was not
sequred in the device and, under negative G, the ball would fly out.

Old February 1st 14, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Friday, January 31, 2014 8:39:55 PM UTC-5, pcool wrote:
[...]

Great work Paolo. Thanks!

Craig
7Q
Old February 2nd 14, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Very cool...best PNA advancement yet.Thanks Paulo.