CAD software for panel design

Old October 22nd 13, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Michalik[_2_]

Default CAD software for panel design

I've received a blank panel in .ckd file types. Can someone point me to an inexpensive, or even free, CAD program I can use to draw circles and squares representing instruments?

I can view the panel fine in DWG TrueView.

Maybe someone has some software they don't need that would work and runs in Windows 7?

Thanks, Stephen Michalik
Old October 22nd 13, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

This might work for you:

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/

"DraftSight lets professional CAD users, students and educators create, edit and view DWG files. DraftSight runs on Windows®, Mac® and Linux.È

Old October 22nd 13, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Beware that the biggest problem is usually not the
layout of the panel, but the space available in back.
Usually instrument positions are constrained by
the tapered fuselage or panel sides, supports,
etc. The long radio isn't going to fit at the
edge of the panel...

Have fun !
Best Regards, Dave
Old October 22nd 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 21, 2013 7:57:22 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
Beware that the biggest problem is usually not the

layout of the panel, but the space available in back.

Usually instrument positions are constrained by

the tapered fuselage or panel sides, supports,

etc. The long radio isn't going to fit at the

edge of the panel...

Have fun !

Best Regards, Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the reminder. I have those approx numbers as well. One instrument I like is the TR22. It's display is separate from the 'core' which mounts elsewhere. Seems like a good panel space saver.
Old October 22nd 13, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

I would second what Dave said, and add: Before you cut your panel, make or get made a laser cut plexiglass versions of it first. It can be flat. Stuff it with instruments, stick it in the plane, turn it all on, and pretend you are flying. Your second plex version won't be the same at all... and when you do your final panel, everything will fit, be visible, be reachable, not interfere with other controls, be seen under the glare shield, have enough space around knobs to actuate, have the bus bars in the right place, have room for the bottle(s) behind the panel, etc, etc, etc...

Have fun! I did.
Old October 22nd 13, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 21, 2013 9:14:39 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I would second what Dave said, and add: Before you cut your panel, make or get made a laser cut plexiglass versions of it first. It can be flat. Stuff it with instruments, stick it in the plane, turn it all on, and pretend you are flying. Your second plex version won't be the same at all... and when you do your final panel, everything will fit, be visible, be reachable, not interfere with other controls, be seen under the glare shield, have enough space around knobs to actuate, have the bus bars in the right place, have room for the bottle(s) behind the panel, etc, etc, etc...

Have fun! I did.

AutoCad and laser cut plexiglass saved me a lot of pain and effort. I was able to fit everything to within 0.005" and achieve an instrument layout that would have been impossible otherwise.

AutoCad sells a student version for $300 if there are any students in your house.

9B
Old October 22nd 13, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On 10/22/2013 02:45 AM, Stephen Michalik wrote:

Can someone point me to an inexpensive, or even free, CAD program I can use to draw circles and squares representing instruments?

I used the free (open source) 2D version of QCad when I designed my
panel for my LS3a:

http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-downloads-trial

Since then the project has "forked" off LibreCad and I have used this
for later projects:

http://librecad.org/cms/home.html

They are very similar. QCad was bought out and commercialized and the
newer versions are not free. LibreCad was forked off from the last open
source version of QCad. Since then I think QCad may have released a few
updates on their open source version. The differences are mainly in the
documentation and fonts.

Both are 2D packages which save their files directly in "dxf" format.
The files can be read/written to with Autocad and machine shops with
lasor cutting machines should have no problems reading your files.

I can reinforce the comments on this thread about this being a 3D
excercise not a 2D one.

Have fun!

Ian

Old October 23rd 13, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 21, 2013 8:45:48 PM UTC-4, Stephen Michalik wrote:
I've received a blank panel in .ckd file types. Can someone point me to an inexpensive, or even free, CAD program I can use to draw circles and squares representing instruments?

Out of curiosity, what specific panel did you receive?

The reason I ask is when I have asked AS, S-H, or Jonker for a panel file they all reply "sorry, cad files for panels are not available" which makes absolutely no sense to me.
Old October 23rd 13, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

The reason I ask is when I have asked AS, S-H, or Jonker for a panel file they all reply "sorry, cad files for panels are not available" which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Perhaps because they are businesses and want you to buy a replacement panel from them instead of some XYZ company or DIY.
Old October 23rd 13, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 21, 2013 7:45:48 PM UTC-5, Stephen Michalik wrote:

So far I've downloaded the suggested 'draftsight x64' Dave Springford suggested.
It downloaded and installed smoothly. I got the panel CAD file to come up so now i'm trying out the software tools.

Anderson's idea was good too and my son who is in college is checking into the student software. Apparently students can download some for free use.

I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say who gave me the panel drawing as it came from the mfg and i'll have to ask. I would say that all I did was ask for it and they were gracious to let me have it. And along with the CAD file a few suggestions in excel format (unexpected).

Ian, I'll look at the open source suggestion later in the week.

Thanks all, I knew I'd get some help!!!

Good lift,
Stephen
S9