Buying my first glider

Old November 1st 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Buying my first glider

Pilots,

Thanks for all your help in the prior thread about selecting a ship:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/USacPAI8Pm4

I've decided on an ASW 27, Ventus 2, or LS6. If a pristine ASW20 or Ventus C were to show up, I would strongly consider one of those as well.

There is a ship I'm considering in South Carolina. I'm in contact with the seller, however, he seems busy and has only sent minimal info and a few pictures.

I was considering having an A&P person inspect the ship before I went through the expense of a flight from Seattle to South Carolina. Is that a good idea? Has anyone done that? Any tips on what to ask for?

If the inspection works out, and I fly out and decide I like the ship, does anyone know of a company or service to use to ship a glider across the country (and can recommend)?

Thanks!

-Jason
Old November 2nd 13, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 1, 2013 4:52:07 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Jay,
If this guy has not sent detailed info forget him and move on. I wasted a two day trip on someone like this. Vague description and the glider was low time and only a few years old but it was in terrible shape. Soaring is a small community so you can probably get a hold of someone who is familiar with this ship you are looking at and it doesn't need to be a licensed mechanic. You are correct that it is good to ask around. Join the Yahoo groups for the ships you have mentioned. The last two ships I bought never made it to the classifieds. They came up word of mouth thru Yahoo groups.
Old November 2nd 13, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
dcavagnaro%[email protected]

On Friday, November 1, 2013 6:52:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Shipping across country can get quite expensive. In the end I had to do it myself and it was a horror show. I got the glider and trailer back in one piece but it took 5 and a half days and I hit every weather condition possible sans tornado -. I was lucky and I would never do it again.

Dennis
Old November 2nd 13, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

does anyone know of a company or service to use to ship a glider across the country (and can recommend)?

Post on RAS: "Tow Ball Needed, East to West", after all you'll have a few months to get it moved. Uship.com is also an option.

Old November 2nd 13, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, November 1, 2013 6:52:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
does anyone know of a company or service to use to ship a glider across the country

RV transport companies will bid on transporting a glider and trailer behind a pickup truck. To them it is like moving a boat on a trailer.

They hire independent sub-contractors, so it is luck of the draw. Some of them do not allow hauling after dark. If you apply for a job with them, they will give you a copy of the rules that the drivers must follow. Hiring someone with a lot of miles of experience and a heavy duty tow vehicle might be safer than driving yourself and it only risks your money, not your person.

http://www.rvtransport.com/ and similar.

If the trailer is faulty, you cannot blame the hauler. So make sure it is 100% right. When I towed my 1999 Avionics trailer 1500 miles, the hinge pins of the tail gate vibrated out and the latch hasps also vibrated free. Caught it before the tailgate fell off, but it could have been a problem. Also recommend taping the aileron locks to the wings and make sure any tie down straps are well padded. Redundant tiedowns seem appropriate for a cross-country trip.

If you want to be extra careful, you could have the trailer transported in an enclosed moving van or even a flatbed truck, or a flatbed tow truck. Some of the RV transport people put them on flat bed trucks. This gives you two sets of tires and shocks to absorb vibration. The trick with the glider trailer is to get it on the flatbed... difficult because it is so long.

Old November 2nd 13, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Or... Driving cross country can be a great adventure!

All good advice on trailer security. I'd add to stop after a few miles and
check wheels for being hot. That could indicate dragging brakes or dry
bearings. Make it a family vacation.

My last glider purchase was only 10-12 hours away so it was no big deal to
drive over for a look-see and test flight. I left with the glider in tow.
Prior to that, my partner and I took turns driving, left Denver for Chicago
on Friday after work, completed the inspection (no flight) and were home
with glider in tow early Sunday morning. Of course, your distance is
farther, but it could generate some great memories if you can spare the
time. It will be a LOT cheaper, too!

Old November 5th 13, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

OK, Gotta put in my two-cents! I drove, with my buddy Jack, from Portland Oregon to Minden (to get the trailer) to New York and back. It took 9 days, driving about 800 miles a day, resting every night in a "real" bed (motel 6 or such), meals, gas, lodging, total cost was just about $6K. But oh, the memories!
Old November 5th 13, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's what I'm talking about - memories!

Last year my Brother asked me where we should ride (our Harleys). I
suggested we get lunch in Key West. That was also a 9 day trip.

....Or you can pay someone else while you sit at your desk and dream...

Old November 5th 13, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:07:22 AM UTC-5, HGXC wrote:
Shipping across country can get quite expensive. In the end I had to do it myself and it was a horror show. I got the glider and trailer back in one piece but it took 5 and a half days and I hit every weather condition possible sans tornado -. I was lucky and I would never do it again. Dennis

My most entertaining was the trip to Canada to pick up a glider. First day was really short. After work, get 200 miles down the road and overnight in a Motel 6. Early second day had heavy rains, 50+ MPH winds, probably inflow to a tornado along with hail. Radio said tornado had been sighted near where I had just been. Later in the day, picked up headwinds so strong that I was on the gas to maintain 70 MPH in the GMC Van going down a 5% grade.. That night, rain turned to freezing rain turned to snow. 20 MPH was about the max safe speed. Night two, Motel 6 number 2. Third day was a nice trip into Canada to pick up the glider. Delayed coming back across the border due to some sort of "radiation from the trailer". Only thing I can think of is the A-14 oxygen regulator and radium markings. Once back in the US, had more snow, slip sliding with the trailer, closed roads due to construction and a few stretches of one lane road that were long enough that since I missed the tail end of the line going my way, I had to sit for about 30 minutes before the "Follow Me" car came back. Night three, America's Best Value (Motel 6 was full). Day 4 had nice weather, but still windy. Spent the night with my Brother near Denver. Day 5 was an easy day from Denver back to Wichita. Round trip distance was only about 3000 miles. Left Thursday after work, was home in time for dinner on Monday.

And if the opportunity comes up to do it again, I would in a heartbeat!

But to the original question, if you know someone in the area that can take a look at the plane for you, go ahead and do that. They don't have to be a mechanic. Just an impartial set of eyes. Preferably another glider pilot. I have done this before and it helps in keeping you from being unpleasantly surprised. Eyes will see lots more than pictures will show.

Steve Leonard
Old November 6th 13, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le vendredi 1 novembre 2013 18:52:07 UTC-4, a écrit*:
[...]

Hi
I bought a glider in Alberta and had a friend working there inspect it and followed his recommendation to buy it, agood decision. Now the fun story of getting it to Quebec,a 4 day trip. I found a student driving to Montreal over the easter weekend.
Sent all the info to him which he did not read, his father was a glider pilot and he tought he new which glider to take. After 3 day and night of driving
with his girlfriend he got to our meeting place with the wrong trailer.
Gilles

Buying a glider from Canada Bmwbob Soaring 1 August 6th 10 11:20 PM
US resident , no greencard, buying a glider in the US Peter[_1_] Soaring 18 October 29th 09 05:27 AM
Buying a used GLider JSF-TC Soaring 2 June 25th 07 05:55 AM
buying help John Doe Owning 21 August 17th 05 07:08 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM