Program Letter time again

Old January 7th 14, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default Program Letter time again

I was searching through my computer files for something when I came across a file named Program Letter.................Oh, yeah! The FAA wants me to send them this years agenda by 30 Jan. Its easy, just make the indicated changes on the e-form and hit send.
See you on the grid,
Pat & JJ
Old January 8th 14, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

JJ, do you have a link for this e-form program letter? I've been sending a real letter to my local FSDO, modified appropriately for each year, as this is what I understand that they want. It would be great to get this annual task done electronically!

-John, Q3

Old January 8th 14, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:38:07 PM UTC-8, John Carlyle wrote:
JJ, do you have a link for this e-form program letter? I've been sending a real letter to my local FSDO, modified appropriately for each year, as this is what I understand that they want. It would be great to get this annual task done electronically!

-John, Q3

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:47:36 AM UTC-5, JJ Sinclair wrote:

I was searching through my computer files for something when I came across a file named Program Letter.................Oh, yeah! The FAA wants me to send them this years agenda by 30 Jan. Its easy, just make the indicated changes on the e-form and hit send.

See you on the grid,

Pat & JJ

I'm computer-challenged and can't figure out how to send the form. I got it with a letter from Sacramento FSDO. Recommend you contact your FSDO, you will need their e-dress to send your program letter after filling it out.
Cheers,
JJ
Old January 8th 14, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:38:07 PM UTC-7, John Carlyle wrote:
JJ, do you have a link for this e-form program letter? I've been sending a real letter to my local FSDO, modified appropriately for each year, as this is what I understand that they want. It would be great to get this annual task done electronically!

-John, Q3

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:47:36 AM UTC-5, JJ Sinclair wrote:

I was searching through my computer files for something when I came across a file named Program Letter.................Oh, yeah! The FAA wants me to send them this years agenda by 30 Jan. Its easy, just make the indicated changes on the e-form and hit send.

See you on the grid,

Pat & JJ

Jan. '13 was the first time I had to do a Program letter related to my new sailplane. I had copies from owners in OH and UT. They were almost identical so I used it as a format. It was returned by my FSDO with a copy of a letter for a Nevada racer. The individual from my FSDO wanted lots of additional information including who, where, when the sailplane, equipment and instruments were being maintained. The manufacturer's listed maintenance requirements and initially very specific dates for each flight and purpose, I could not list a period of time like the normal flying summer from my home airport. We did work around that. Earlier in 2012 we found out that the FSDO was not aware that there was a small group of sailplanes operating from an airport just outside the Boise airport area. We also found out that there was no one in the FSDO who had any familiarity with sailplanes or operations. We invited them to our airport with no response. The Program letter last year was not seamless and took some time and negotiations. I just mailed my letter in for this year and am waiting to see if I get a response, which if everything is ok, I should not. The letter, theoretically, does not need approval as it is a letter to inform...
Old January 8th 14, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Thanks, JJ. Since I've already put in the time, I'll send the letter this year. But I'll e-mail my FSDO and inquire about electronic program letter capability.

I feel for Boise pilot. My FSDO rep was a dream to work with when I took my ASW-19 experimental, and has been helpful on other issues. Best of luck!

-John, Q3

Old January 8th 14, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have a letter that I assembled from several examples. I worked with the
FSDO and got approval. Now I just update it using the calendar of events
from SSA for the coming year and email it to the FSDO with a copy to myself
as proof that I sent it. I will make my letter available upon request.

Old January 8th 14, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I suspect there are many pilots of experimentals who forget to submit anything. Does anyone have any stories of what has happened to them or others that they know who had a problem because they did not submit a letter? I am not asking for permission not to send one, just interested in what can happen if you don't...

Bruno - B4
Old January 8th 14, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:03:54 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I suspect there are many pilots of experimentals who forget to submit anything. Does anyone have any stories of what has happened to them or others that they know who had a problem because they did not submit a letter? I am not asking for permission not to send one, just interested in what can happen if you don't...

Bruno - B4

Sacramento FSDO has jumped me for not submitting a letter (once when they lost it).
I believe it is close to a meaningless drill for sailplanes, but with real meaning when flying a MIG-21 licensed experimental racing & exhibition. The real problem would be if you were to have an accident at a location not shown on your program letter. The Feds might find that your aircraft was being operated illegally and your insurance could refuse to cover the loss.
JJ
Old January 8th 14, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 09:03:54 UTC-7, wrote:
I suspect there are many pilots of experimentals who forget to submit anything. Does anyone have any stories of what has happened to them or others that they know who had a problem because they did not submit a letter? I am not asking for permission not to send one, just interested in what can happen if you don't...

Bruno - B4

I did not send in a letter for 2 years when I first got my DG303. When contacting SLC FSDO I was required to get a new airworthiness certificate and go through the complete inspection including having to have so many flights and hours from my home airport before I could fly more than 50 miles from my home airport.

Just do it
Old January 8th 14, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:03:54 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I suspect there are many pilots of experimentals who forget to submit anything. Does anyone have any stories of what has happened to them or others that they know who had a problem because they did not submit a letter? I am not asking for permission not to send one, just interested in what can happen if you don't...

Bruno - B4

If you don't send it they will never know as they don't check. It is a ridiculous exercise in red tape. I have never sent one in.