engine pre-oiler

Old December 23rd 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default engine pre-oiler

I'm thinking about using an electric diesel fuel pump to pressurize my 0320
with engine oil to pre-lube before starting. Have any of you tried that?
The accumulator method is heavier than I want to use.

Old December 24th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Get a used fuel pump from an older VW CFI (constant fuel injection) auto
--they put up 70 psi constantly---ought to last a long time pumpin oil--
just draw up high enough to not get any of the settlin's outa the sump.--
the older ones were frame mounted just ahead of the gas tank in a big
rubber jacket--about 4"x4"x8"---or you could just put quick disconnect
fittings on the plane & leave the pump in the hangar. (that's what I did
with my 855 Cummins.

Old December 24th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

I'm thinking about using an electric diesel fuel pump to pressurize my 0320
with engine oil to pre-lube before starting. Have any of you tried that?
The accumulator method is heavier than I want to use.

What's it going to weigh, Stuart?
Old December 24th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 02:50:23 GMT, Jerry Wass
wrote:

Get a used fuel pump from an older VW CFI (constant fuel injection) auto
--they put up 70 psi constantly---ought to last a long time pumpin oil--
just draw up high enough to not get any of the settlin's outa the sump.--
the older ones were frame mounted just ahead of the gas tank in a big
rubber jacket--about 4"x4"x8"---or you could just put quick disconnect
fittings on the plane & leave the pump in the hangar. (that's what I did
with my 855 Cummins.

what aeroplane did you have powered by an 855 Cummins?
it must have handled like a truck.
just curious.

Stealth Pilot

Old December 24th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
oilsardine[_2_]

Why not manually operated? Thought about the pump of my hydraulic jack (2
tons). The pump is very small.

Old December 24th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Dec 23, 1:13*pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
I'm thinking about using an electric diesel fuel pump to pressurize my 0320
with engine oil to pre-lube before starting. *Have any of you tried that?
The accumulator method is heavier than I want to use.

The Accusump accumulator set up is very simple and can't weigh that
much. Used them is alot of racecars and they are bulletproof.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
Old December 24th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

stol wrote:

On Dec 23, 1:13 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

I'm thinking about using an electric diesel fuel pump to pressurize my 0320
with engine oil to pre-lube before starting. Have any of you tried that?
The accumulator method is heavier than I want to use.

The Accusump accumulator set up is very simple and can't weigh that
much. Used them is alot of racecars and they are bulletproof.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Oh no - the dreaded, "it can't weigh that much" syndrome!
Old December 25th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Dec 24, 1:25*pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
stol wrote:
On Dec 23, 1:13 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

I'm thinking about using an electric diesel fuel pump to pressurize my 0320
with engine oil to pre-lube before starting. *Have any of you tried that?
The accumulator method is heavier than I want to use.

The Accusump accumulator set up is very simple and can't weigh that
much. Used them is alot of racecars and they are bulletproof.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Oh no - the dreaded, "it can't weigh that much" syndrome!

Yup.... afraid so.. :)
Old December 26th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

stol wrote:
On Dec 23, 1:13 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
I'm thinking about using an electric diesel fuel pump to pressurize my 0320
with engine oil to pre-lube before starting. Have any of you tried that?
The accumulator method is heavier than I want to use.
The Accusump accumulator set up is very simple and can't weigh that
much. Used them is alot of racecars and they are bulletproof.
Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Oh no - the dreaded, "it can't weigh that much" syndrome!

Yup.... afraid so.. :)

Like I said--one each male & female quick disconnect fitting doesn't
weigh as much as anything else that's been talked about so far---Then
you can use any kind of pump that satisfies your expectation, even a
quart reservoir with an electric heater in it--if need be. 'cause all
this stuff stays in the hangar anyhow. When you're through, plug the
disconnected hoses together & everything is all sealed up ,ready for the
next time. Jerry
Old December 27th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
I'm thinking about using an electric diesel fuel pump to pressurize my
0320 with engine oil to pre-lube before starting. Have any of you tried
that? The accumulator method is heavier than I want to use.

I'm thinking (never a good thing, eh?) that your objective is to prolong the
life of the engine?

Rather than a pre-oiler, what about grabbing the smog pump off that '78
Chevy you have up on blocks and putting it on your engine with the pump
outlet plumbed into the crankcase some distance away from the existing
breather? (Inlet goes to the clean air side of the air cleaner Note: IIRC
some air pumps have an inlet you can attach a hose to, some don't.)

Keeping the crankcase clean and dry would likely do more good than
pre-oiling...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com