KLN94 GPS and flying "overlay" GPS approaches

Old June 22nd 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default KLN94 GPS and flying "overlay" GPS approaches

"Sam Spade" wrote in message news:wfAmg.34495$AB3.8095@fed1read02...
John R. Copeland wrote:

Furthermore, the CNX80/GNS480 does not automatically "suspend" at the MAP.
If the aircraft doesn't land, the missed approach continues to sequence.

That sounds dicey if you are using autopilot in NAV mode, and there is a
turn required before you might be ready.

Not quite so dicey as it could be, fortunately.
The CNX80/GNS480 will never sequence to any turns until after the initial climb.
It's a mini version of what you mentioned about the KJAC ILS 19 missed approach,
but it's invoked on all GPS missed approaches,
and doesn't require any button-pushing during what can be a busy few moments.
(That assumes flying the charted missed approach, which isn't always the case.)

Old June 22nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

John R. Copeland wrote:

Furthermore, the CNX80/GNS480 does not automatically "suspend" at the MAP.
If the aircraft doesn't land, the missed approach continues to sequence.

That sounds dicey if you are using autopilot in NAV mode, and there is a
turn required before you might be ready.

Not quite so dicey as it could be, fortunately.
The CNX80/GNS480 will never sequence to any turns until after the initial climb.

Not disputing you, but where does this statement come from? Is it in the manual,
or based on experience, or what? I'm a GNS480 user and didn't know this, and I'd
just like to track it down.

Old June 22nd 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Dave Butler" wrote in message news:1151006799.188750@sj-nntpcache-3...
John R. Copeland wrote:

Not quite so dicey as it could be, fortunately.
The CNX80/GNS480 will never sequence to any turns until after the initial climb.

Not disputing you, but where does this statement come from? Is it in the manual,
or based on experience, or what? I'm a GNS480 user and didn't know this, and I'd
just like to track it down.

Experience, actually, but I found a description of it on page 80 of the manual.
Under the topic "Flying the Missed Approach", there's an example.
It describes a VOR/GPS Rwy 4 missed approach at Lynchburg, Virginia...
"1. Follow the missed approach procedures, as published on your approach
plate and for proper climb. The GNS 480 guides you to the holding pattern,
along the 053° radial from LYH VOR. The leg for the 010° heading will
sequence automatically after reaching the appropriate altitude.... snip"

The Windows simulator for the GNS480 seems to work the same way.
If you simulate a (very) low approach, but purposely don't climb,
the simulator won't advance to the next leg.

The Salem people seem proud of their simulator.
They feel it's a pretty accurate implementation of the GNS 480 behavior.
If you've not used the simulator, maybe you'd enjoy trying it out.

Old June 23rd 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

John wrote:
Experience, actually, but I found a description of it on page 80 of the manual.
Under the topic "Flying the Missed Approach", there's an example.
It describes a VOR/GPS Rwy 4 missed approach at Lynchburg, Virginia...
"1. Follow the missed approach procedures, as published on your approach
plate and for proper climb. The GNS 480 guides you to the holding pattern,
along the 053° radial from LYH VOR. The leg for the 010° heading will
sequence automatically after reaching the appropriate altitude.... snip"

The Windows simulator for the GNS480 seems to work the same way.
If you simulate a (very) low approach, but purposely don't climb,
the simulator won't advance to the next leg.

The Salem people seem proud of their simulator.
They feel it's a pretty accurate implementation of the GNS 480 behavior.
If you've not used the simulator, maybe you'd enjoy trying it out.

Yes, OK, thanks, John. I've used the simulator quite a bit, and my experience
with the simulator and with the airplane reinforces the idea that it will
sequence to the missed approach turn after an initial climb. It was the "never"
in your statement that I was questioning. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Unfortunately the manual reference doesn't address the "never" aspect of your
statement either. Thanks for researching the manual, I should have done that
before posting.

Dave