Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 27th 17, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
richard wilkening

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

I fly airliners, power GA airplanes, and gliders so here are some observations from both worlds:

When flying no matter what/ where I'm looking for other traffic, more so "down low." Here in the Midwest that is 10,000' MSL. Gliders are by design small with little frontal area. It is hard to see them from very far off even when I'm also in a glider and know they're there. Even when ATC calls other airliner traffic at altitude, I sometimes resort to looking for contrails as the actual aircraft is no where to be seen- many times with a closure rate of 1,000 MPH. Sometimes we never do see them. Yes, we ARE looking.

Airline pilots are taught that the Flying Pilot does just that, and only that. If ATC assigns a different route, approach, or runway the Non Flying Pilot should be the one "heads down" inputting the change in "the box" while the Pilot Flying keeps flying, while also confirming the correctness of the change. I assume Flight Safety teaches GA jet drivers the same.

Back in the early 90s when Mode C transponders were first required in power planes to fly in ARSAs, I remember the complaining from GA pilots about the cost. I also remember a comment made that these same pilots had no problem dropping more money on fancy LORANs than what the transponders cost. But that was DIFFERENT. Look at the resistance to Flarm. I don't own a glider and I've never used one, but I feel almost naked flying without TCAS.

To me this is the same. Guys drool over the latest glide computer and the batteries to operate it, but complain about transponders and being required to install them.

Lastly, the comment about gliders and balloons being here first: 1) Balloons are generally easier to see due to their size; and 2) I guess you're right. So what? Are you willing to be dead right?

Should a glider and airliner crash killing many, it won't matter who was "right." Public outcry will be loud and swift. We won't like the results.