1966 Owner's Manual

Old February 5th 05, 09:30 AM
scupper79

Default 1966 Owner's Manual

My understanding is:

before early 1970s, FAA hadn't standardized the manuals into a POH format
yet, so they were just Owner's manuals at the manufacturer's discretion.

Did the 1st page after the cover still have to have the serial # on it?

I fly an old 150F model here lately and it's Owner's manual is hardly up to
standard that I'm accustomed to. Harmful, I don't think so, but I'm after
legalities here for knowledge sake.

thanks,
ck

Old February 5th 05, 03:25 PM

Ck,

You are correct, there were no POHs officially until roughly 1976.
Prior to that everything was usually referred to as Owner's Manuals and
the format was not standardized and there were many philosophies as to
what to place in one. A huge number of companies and engineers felt
that Owner's Manuals were to be kept short in the hopes that the owners
would actually read them. Also, some of the numbers for cruise
performance were dreamware - notably Piper and Maule, with cruise
speeds inflated by as much as 20 mph. Cessna had a rep for having
accurate information in Owner's Manuals, Navion put out one of the best
manuals.

Your 150F had an Owner's Manual. It was NOT serialized. It is NOT
required to be in the airplane. It is not part of the equipment.
Prior to POHs the limitations of the airplane were contained in the
weight and balance documents and the placards on the panel and color
coding on the instruments. The good thing is that if you lost the
Owner's Manual, the airplane was still airworthy. The bad thing is
that the Owner's Manuals did not have as much information as the POHs.

Hope that helps,
Rick

Old February 8th 05, 04:18 AM
Andrew Sarangan

I believe March 1979 is the official date when AFM's (Airplane Flight
Manual) were rqeuired.

"scupper79" wrote in
news:1107595836.c43dc2eb23ee07667b39affad0b2d8fb@t eranews:

Old February 8th 05, 05:47 PM
Brian

Off topic a bit, but I used to teach a ground school class with another
instructor. He would bring two Cessna 172 Manuals to class one for a
1966 Cessna 172 and one for a 1980 Cessna 172. I don't have them in
front of me but generally here is what you would find on the 1st page
of each:

1966 Cessna 172 Manual: "Congraguations on you purchase of a brand new
Cessna 172"

1980 Cessna 172 Manual: "Warning, May cause serious Injury or Death"

Old February 8th 05, 11:13 PM

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I believe March 1979 is the official date when AFM's (Airplane Flight

Manual) were rqeuired.

I believe that's when they were required for all planes. My plane
came with a wimpy looking "owners manual" and a very detailed and
serialized Airplane Flight Manual. The AFM contained detailed
procecudures, equipment lists and W&B information. According to the
type certificate, the AFM was required to be onboard the airplane. The
plane is a '68 PA28.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old February 9th 05, 12:41 AM
kage