New app to analyze your flights !!

Old September 17th 19, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mar M

Default New app to analyze your flights !!

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that we developed an android app able to analyze your igc files, called xc analytics: https://xcanalytics.fr/en/
In a few words, it's statistics applied to cross country flying.

It gives you access to more than 60 statistics and 40 charts relative to your flights, an original identification of 4 different phases (prospecting, climbing, floating and gliding), and the possibility to compare your flights with others.

It is brand new, and there are many updates to come, some of them based on the feedback the pilots give us.
Let me know what you think !

Cheers,

Martin
Old September 17th 19, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 3:57:18 AM UTC-5, Mar M wrote:
Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that we developed an android app able to analyze your igc files, called xc analytics: https://xcanalytics.fr/en/
In a few words, it's statistics applied to cross country flying.

It gives you access to more than 60 statistics and 40 charts relative to your flights, an original identification of 4 different phases (prospecting, climbing, floating and gliding), and the possibility to compare your flights with others.

It is brand new, and there are many updates to come, some of them based on the feedback the pilots give us.
Let me know what you think !

Cheers,

Martin

My first impressions: nice interface, lots of data and great statistics (including weather statistics, like wind direction etc.! - and mean distance between lifts!), funny comments. I like it gives both UTC and local launch/landing times. Nice, very clean map with strong road lines and water bodies. A little glitch noticed: in the Information section the app consistently describes the flights type as 'mountain" while they were actually flown over flat lands. I also get the 'mean glide ratio' as '18:54' - I believe we are rather used to the form 'one to something' All in all: IMHO, the best app for smartphones so far and worth spending the symbolic few $$.
Old September 17th 19, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mar M

Many thanks for your kind words Tom BravoMike, and your interesting feedback !

It looks like we did not train the algorithm enough over US landscape. We will improve that. By the way, if that is ok with you, we would be glad to get one (or more) of the igc files that showed "mountain" where it should have been "flat lands". You can send it at

We will amend the number for the glide ratio accordingly. Look out for future updates !
Old September 19th 19, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 19:29:50 UTC+2, Tom BravoMike wrote:
I also get the 'mean glide ratio' as '18:54'

Do you fly a brick?
An L/D of 18:54 means you're losing three feet/meters per one foot/meter of horizontal movement.
Maybe the intention was to indicate that the glide ratio was between 1:18 and 1:54?
Old September 19th 19, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Thursday, 19 September 2019 07:18:37 UTC+2, Surge wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 19:29:50 UTC+2, Tom BravoMike wrote:
I also get the 'mean glide ratio' as '18:54'

Do you fly a brick?
An L/D of 18:54 means you're losing three feet/meters per one foot/meter of horizontal movement.
Maybe the intention was to indicate that the glide ratio was between 1:18 and 1:54?

I meant 18:1 to 54:1
Old September 19th 19, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 19:29:50 UTC+2, Tom BravoMike wrote:
I also get the 'mean glide ratio' as '18:54'

Do you fly a brick?
An L/D of 18:54 means you're losing three feet/meters per one foot/meter of horizontal movement.
Maybe the intention was to indicate that the glide ratio was between 18:1 and 54:1?
Old September 19th 19, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 1:57:18 AM UTC-7, Mar M wrote:
Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that we developed an android app able to analyze your igc files, called xc analytics: https://xcanalytics.fr/en/
In a few words, it's statistics applied to cross country flying.

It gives you access to more than 60 statistics and 40 charts relative to your flights, an original identification of 4 different phases (prospecting, climbing, floating and gliding), and the possibility to compare your flights with others.

It is brand new, and there are many updates to come, some of them based on the feedback the pilots give us.
Let me know what you think !

Cheers,

Martin

I would like to have a Win 10 version.

Tom
Old September 19th 19, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mar M

Le jeudi 19 septembre 2019 07:20:43 UTC+2, Surge a écritÂ*:
On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 19:29:50 UTC+2, Tom BravoMike wrote:
I also get the 'mean glide ratio' as '18:54'

Do you fly a brick?

This number is specific to a certain type of phase detected in the app, "gliding". It is different from "floating" phases. When you look at the glide ratio of those two types of phases combined, it is actually much higher.
Old September 19th 19, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mar M

Le jeudi 19 septembre 2019 07:54:09 UTC+2, 2G a écritÂ*:
I would like to have a Win 10 version.

Tom

Hello Tom,

We plan to make one. As you can imagine, it will take some time to develop it, as we have to entirely code the charts again. Pilots' interest will definitely help !

Martin
Old September 19th 19, 10:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Of the phases - "prospecting, climbing, floating and gliding", only climbing and gliding are familiar to me for sailplane flight analysis. Are floating and prospecting hang glider and paraglider terms? I wouldn't find them useful.