End of an Era - Cal City

Old January 21st 14, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kathryn

Default End of an Era - Cal City

Reposting from the Tehachapi News Group:

Soarist

The outstanding help and support of the local soaring community was paramount in my decision about continuing with soaring at Cal City after the difficulties of Dec 2010. This same support has been an ongoing lifeline in trying to struggle with the radical changes in operations implemented at the beginning of Aug. At that time, Tom Weil the city manager stated to me that the city needed to realize it was time to move away from being a recreational airport and towards becoming an industrial airport. We would shortly find out that the first phase of his vision was to drive recreational use of the airport away. The second phase was to try to obtain FAA grant funding for his Southern Perimeter taxiway to the adjacent 20 private properties outside the fence that already had deeded airport access and as a bonus possibly get the FAA to buy the industrial park. Fortunately FAA questions uncovered Mr. Weils deception and his request was denied when the FAA stated “the FAA does not build taxiways to private properties or buy industrial parks”.

At this same time, the FAA did provide some potential for improved glider operations two or three years in the future, but that would be dependent on City financial support. The current reality is that the operational difficulties and hazards coupled with the less than friendly airport attitude, no longer provides a viable business environment. For these reasons the weekend of Feb 1st and 2nd will be the last weekend I will be providing tows at Calif City.

After some clean up and prep, the tow plane will be sold to recover some of my reserve and for the short term at least, I will keep the hangar and concentrate on glider maintenance as my hangar does have space for trailers while gliders are in for maintenance. Maintenance will preferably be limited to Mon thru Fri so that I will be able to fly with the group as opposed to mostly towing.

At the Calif City Airport Advisory meeting Jan 15, the new official airport manager Robert King announced the following:

1. Calif City airport intends to take control of glider trailer storage and charge individual pilots for that service

2. Additionally to tighten control of vehicle access and as Mr. Weil reiterated, thereby prevent the serious threat of runway incursions. Airport lease holders and tenants will only be given the new gate access code, following presenting their drivers license, proof of insurance and at some point completing an as yet to be announced mandatory airport driving course.

3. Pilots wishing to survey airport emergency landing areas at L71 would not be permitted to do so in their own vehicles but must request that the airport manager drive them to the areas of interest and brief them on potential obstructions and hazards in order to prevent runway excursions.

I’m sure it is obvious that the city is going out of it’s way to make glider operations and pilots feel as unwelcome as possible, so please consider the following:

1. If possible, after Feb 2nd, try to move your glider trailer to a more glider friendly airport. If you can’t, let me know and I will see about other options that will not be on the airport ramp.

2. Be aware that Calif City as a Federally Funded Airport is obligated to meet it’s FAA grant assurance obligations as defined in 5190.6B Airport Compliance Manual and the City Sponsor will be the subject of a Part 13.1 complaint we are filing with the FAA today. Copies will be sent to you if requested, contact shmoldas [at] roadrunner.com

3. I hope we have a maximum turnout on our last weekend of soaring here on 1 and 2 Feb as plans are afoot for inviting other interested parties and the press to witness the end of an era at Cal City. John Shmoldas is planning on a mass launch at 1PM Sat and hope we can fill the skies with sailplanes on Saturday and Sunday and those departing with sailboxes will parade thru the city Square Sunday.

Best wishes to all of the pilots who have let me enjoy towing them out of Cal City over the years.

Marty

Martin Eiler Aviation
22570 Airport Way
Calif City, CA 93505-6005

Going to New York City [email protected] Piloting 10 April 28th 08 03:13 PM
Iowa City TFR john smith Piloting 2 December 5th 05 03:03 AM
Atlantic City Brad Salai Piloting 5 August 12th 05 03:48 AM
city lights The Weiss Family Piloting 5 July 3rd 04 12:34 PM
Went to Iowa City Viperdoc Piloting 5 July 21st 03 07:48 PM