Which handheld transceiver?

Old July 14th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Jay Maynard

Default Which handheld transceiver?

On 2008-07-14, Vaughn Simon wrote:
Vertex and Icom are the "Honda & Toyota" of the aviation portable radio
world. For your own reasons you may prefer one brand or the other, but

you
won't go wrong with either.
For the record, I have a Vertex and love it.

Vaughn's got it exactly right. I'm sitting next to a big stack of Icom ham
gear, and have an A-24 in my flight bag. Even so, if it weren't for reasons
not having anything to do with aviation, I'd have looked long and hard at
the Vertex radio that does both the air band and the 2-meter ham band.
Either way, you'll get a good, solid radio.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old July 14th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

I'd have looked long and hard at
the Vertex radio that does both the air band and the 2-meter ham band

That radio doesn't exist anymore. The FCC...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 14th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 13, 4:41*pm, B A R R Y wrote:

I've never used the NAV functions, but have been happy with the radio
overall. *I don't have extensive experience with lots of different
radios. *I find the ICOM easy to use and dependable and would buy it again.

Yea, I wouldn't recommend anyone pay for the nav functions. I've never
found them to have much of any range and nowadays we all have battery
backup GPSs on the yoke which are a million times better than the 2
mile range VOR receivers that came with the transceivers.

-Robert
Old July 14th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Jon Woellhaf[_2_]

Yeah. The story I got from HRO in Denver about a year ago was that pilots
were using the 2m band -- or was it the amateurs were using the aviation
band. Either way, how is that the radio's fault? Anyone can buy a 2m HT and
anyone can buy an aviation band HT. I wonder what the real story is.

Jay,

Old July 14th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
RST Engineering

The story I got was that to do both the aircraft AM modulation and the 2m FM
modulation, they were using some cockamamie modulation circuit that wasn't
quite up to specification. That was just a story I heard; I've never put my
Vertex on the spectrum analyzer to see if they are inside the envelope or
not.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old July 14th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Dave Rochin

Hi Michael,
Both Icom and Vertex Standard are excellent radios. Save your money
and get the Comm only version. You will probably never use the Nav
feature.

The VXA-220 is the Comm version from Vertex. I sell it for $199. The
220V charger sells for $29.
http://www.airportpilotshop.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=410
The Icom A6 is selling for $248. The 220V charger is $40.
http://www.airportpilotshop.com/inde...PROD&ProdID=21
Both are in stock.
Shipping to Australia will cost $45 via US Postal Express Mail Intl.
Let me know if you are interested in placing an order.
Thanks
David Rochin
Airport Pilot Shop
239-263-9121
www.airportpilotshop.com

Old July 15th 08, 10:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Michael Henry[_2_]

Airbus wrote:
They using 8.33 spacing in your neck of the woods?

No, Australia has 25kHz spacing.

Its use is currently "cosmetic" in many regions, but is moving toward full
on implementation. This narrows the field of handhelds considerably, and
may be a useful"future-proof" consideration.

All the models I've seen support 8.33 kHz spacing. (Icom, Vertex
Standard, Sportys).

Thanks to everyone for your responses!
Old July 18th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Mike[_22_]

"Michael Henry" wrote in message
Airbus wrote:
They using 8.33 spacing in your neck of the woods?

No, Australia has 25kHz spacing.

Its use is currently "cosmetic" in many regions, but is moving toward
full on implementation. This narrows the field of handhelds considerably,
and may be a useful"future-proof" consideration.

All the models I've seen support 8.33 kHz spacing. (Icom, Vertex Standard,
Sportys).

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

The Sporty's model is the only one I know of that supports 8.33. As far as
Icom and Vertex go, perhaps some of their models support 8.33, but I'm
pretty sure at least their basic models don't unless something has changed
recently.