AnywhereWx vs. AirGator NavAirWx

Old April 17th 05, 03:34 PM
Jonathan Goodish

Default AnywhereWx vs. AirGator NavAirWx

Thanks to all who replied to my in-flight weather questions.

I think that I've narrowed my selection down to a PDA solution using the
iPaq 4700, along with packages for XM weather an moving map from either
Control Vision (AnywhereWx) or AirGator (NavAirWx).

Detailed information on the web sites of both companies is a little
sketchy, and the photos are unclear, but the photos appear to show a
slightly more impressive software display from AirGator's NavAirWx than
from AnywhereWx / Map.

I have been advised that AnywhereMap's "Cones of Safety" feature is
valuable, but I am trying to place a priority on the weather display and
easy of use. Does AirGator have a better system for weather?

Thanks,
JKG
Old April 17th 05, 03:44 PM
Newps

There's a guy on the CPA board who ran the software on a tablet and an
ipaq 4705. For this software the tablet killed the ipaq. It took a
full 10 seconds to zoom in one level on the ipaq, the tablet does it
immediately. Generally speaking the software runs very slow on the PDA.

Old April 17th 05, 04:13 PM
Andrew Gideon

Newps wrote:

There's a guy on the CPA board who ran the software on a tablet and an
ipaq 4705.Â*Â*ForÂ*thisÂ*softwareÂ*theÂ*tabletÂ*killed *theÂ*ipaq.Â*Â*ItÂ*tookÂ*a
full 10 seconds to zoom in one level on the ipaq, the tablet does it
immediately.Â*Â*GenerallyÂ*speakingÂ*theÂ*software Â*runsÂ*veryÂ*slowÂ*onÂ*theÂ*PDA.

Which of the two softwares?

- Andrew

Old April 17th 05, 08:26 PM
Newps

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Newps wrote:

There's a guy on the CPA board who ran the software on a tablet and an
ipaq 4705. For this software the tablet killed the ipaq. It took a
full 10 seconds to zoom in one level on the ipaq, the tablet does it
immediately. Generally speaking the software runs very slow on the PDA.

Which of the two softwares?

He has both but was commenting on the Wx.

Old April 18th 05, 02:09 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Newps wrote:

There's a guy on the CPA board who ran the software on a tablet and an
ipaq 4705. For this software the tablet killed the ipaq. It took a
full 10 seconds to zoom in one level on the ipaq, the tablet does it
immediately. Generally speaking the software runs very slow on the PDA.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a TabletPC is more capable and much
faster than a PDA. Generally speaking, though, folks seem to speak
fairly highly about the speed of the iPaq 4705, though I haven't heard
anyone claim that it's comparable to a TabletPC.

The issue with the Tablet is space. I have a Cherokee and I fear that
the Tablet will simply be too big with me (6' 3", 200lbs) and my much
smaller wife in the airplane at the same time.

The other issue is that I really don't have any other justified need for
a TabletPC... this device will pretty much be a one-trick pony for me,
and even the iPaq is pricey for just that function.

JKG
Old April 19th 05, 02:43 PM
Rich Badaracco

I have used AnywhereWx on an Ipaq 2215 for some time now. I can't imagine
flying IFR without it. There have been some issues with the XM Weather unit
forcing activation and apparently they have been pushing out firmware
updates to try and correct that. As to which system is easier to use I
suspect that this is like asking which flight planning software is best. I
occasionaly download and run the NavAir software and find it to be more
difficult to use. I'm sure that a lot of that is related to the fact that
I've used AnywhereMap for so long. Unfortunately CV has so far refused to
provide a demo version of their software. As to the display being better on
the NavAir that seems to be the general consensus when it comes to terrain
depiction. I don't think that will be an impact on the weather because the
granularity from XM is the same for both products. CV is supposedly going to
have support for VGA display modes soon.

Old April 19th 05, 02:56 PM
Andrew Gideon

Rich Badaracco wrote:

As to which system is easier to use I
suspect that this is like asking which flight planning software is best.

What about in turbulance? How do you enter data on the palmtop while
bouncing?

- Andrew

Old April 19th 05, 05:07 PM
Stephen McNaught

For me, if the turbulence was "bad enough", I wouldn't be messing with the
PDA, as I use it for situational awareness only. Having said that, there a
few things that assist in rough air. First you can assign functions to the
physical buttons on the PDA. Second, Control Vision has a feature called
"Rough Air Buttons", that are icons that you can show on the screen for
several functions. Third, Control Vision supplies a keyboard with larger
character keys.
A couple screenshots :
http://www.shn.org/AWSIPA.jpg
http://www.shn.org/AWSIP1.jpg

online.com...

Old April 19th 05, 05:51 PM
Rich Badaracco

Yup that pretty much summarizes it. In general I don't need to be tapping
away at the keyboard. More often than not I'm changing zoom ranges. That's
done with the hat switch on the pda so it's not much of an issue. The
buttons on the pda are configurable and most common functions are taken care
of there. In the times that I have needed to use the keyboard to type a new
route or something like that I have been able to do it but not without some
difficulty. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting it though.

"Stephen McNaught" wrote in message
For me, if the turbulence was "bad enough", I wouldn't be messing with the
PDA, as I use it for situational awareness only. Having said that, there a
few things that assist in rough air. First you can assign functions to the
physical buttons on the PDA. Second, Control Vision has a feature called
"Rough Air Buttons", that are icons that you can show on the screen for
several functions. Third, Control Vision supplies a keyboard with larger
character keys.
A couple screenshots :
http://www.shn.org/AWSIPA.jpg
http://www.shn.org/AWSIP1.jpg

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
What about in turbulance? How do you enter data on the palmtop while
bouncing?

- Andrew

AnywhereWX??? mtmueller Instrument Flight Rules 8 August 6th 03 04:28 AM
AnywhereWX??? mtmueller Owning 8 August 6th 03 04:28 AM
AnywhereWX??? mtmueller Piloting 8 August 6th 03 04:28 AM