Just push the blue button!

Old October 4th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default Just push the blue button!

Cirrus has added a new auto level button on their latest planes. Will a
button on the stick that you push to automatically reset the plane to
straight and level make any difference on Cirrus accidents or is it just a
gimmick? What say you?

Old October 4th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message
Cirrus has added a new auto level button on their latest planes. Will a
button on the stick that you push to automatically reset the plane to
straight and level make any difference on Cirrus accidents or is it just a
gimmick? What say you?

Diamond already has this on some of their aircraft. I don't know that it
has ever made a difference, however there are a large number of fatalities
caused by VFR to IMC (just like John-John).

Old October 4th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel[_2_]

Mike wrote:

Diamond already has this on some of their aircraft. I don't know that
it has ever made a difference, however there are a large number of
fatalities caused by VFR to IMC (just like John-John).

John-John was VFR to IMC?

Old October 4th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel[_2_]

Mike wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

Diamond already has this on some of their aircraft. I don't know
that it has ever made a difference, however there are a large number
of fatalities caused by VFR to IMC (just like John-John).

John-John was VFR to IMC?

Yep.

hmmm, all the wx reports I saw were legal VMC (not smart VMC, but still
legal). Do you have reference to reports that the conditions were not
VMC?

Old October 4th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

Diamond already has this on some of their aircraft. I don't know that
it has ever made a difference, however there are a large number of
fatalities caused by VFR to IMC (just like John-John).

John-John was VFR to IMC?

Yep.

hmmm, all the wx reports I saw were legal VMC (not smart VMC, but still
legal). Do you have reference to reports that the conditions were not
VMC?

That doesn't mean he was VMC at the time of the accident. Based on what
happend I believe he wasn't, but the question I would have for you was why
do you feel the burning desire to ask questions in which you are already
convinced of the answer?

Old October 4th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

Bob Noel wrote:

hmmm, all the wx reports I saw were legal VMC (not smart VMC, but still \

I think you're confusing VMC and VFR.
It may have been legal VFR.
legal). Do you have reference to reports that the conditions were not
VMC?

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable
cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilot's failure to maintain control of the airplane during a descent
over water at night, which was a result of spatial disorientation.
Factors in the accident were haze, and the dark night.

That's IMC buddy. Could be a clear VACU night over water with no
moonlight, and if you can't maintain a horizon due to those factors,
thats IMC even though it is also very much legal VFR.
Old October 4th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Tman" x@x wrote in message
. ..
Bob Noel wrote:

hmmm, all the wx reports I saw were legal VMC (not smart VMC, but still \

I think you're confusing VMC and VFR.
It may have been legal VFR.
legal). Do you have reference to reports that the conditions were not
VMC?

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s)
of this accident as follows:
The pilot's failure to maintain control of the airplane during a descent
over water at night, which was a result of spatial disorientation. Factors
in the accident were haze, and the dark night.

That's IMC buddy. Could be a clear VACU night over water with no
moonlight, and if you can't maintain a horizon due to those factors, thats
IMC even though it is also very much legal VFR.

No, that's not necessarily IMC. IMC means less than legal VFR.

I believe he WAS in IMC, however there's little doubt he was at least in
instrument conditions, which is not the same as IMC.

Old October 4th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

"Mike" nospam@ microsoft.com wrote in message
news
"Tman" x@x wrote in message
. ..

\

I think you're confusing VMC and VFR.
It may have been legal VFR.
legal). Do you have reference to reports that the conditions were not
VMC?

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s)
of this accident as follows:
The pilot's failure to maintain control of the airplane during a descent
over water at night, which was a result of spatial disorientation.
Factors in the accident were haze, and the dark night.

That's IMC buddy. Could be a clear VACU night over water with no
moonlight, and if you can't maintain a horizon due to those factors,
thats IMC even though it is also very much legal VFR.

No, that's not necessarily IMC. IMC means less than legal VFR.

I believe he WAS in IMC, however there's little doubt he was at least in
instrument conditions, which is not the same as IMC.

As they say, looks like he flew into Cumulo-Granite.

--
Regards, Bob F.