Hope U.S. soldiers don't get railroaded

Old May 15th 04, 05:02 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "John Keeney"
wrote:

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message

"John Keeney" wrote in message

"Michael P. Reed" wrote in message
"a. (U) Breaking chemical lights and pouring the phosphoric liquid
on
detainees;

Are you arguing that a U.S. soldier, specifically an MP, would not
neccessarily
know that the above were illegal?

What the heck would be "illegal" about that?

Without beng a lawyer, my guess is that phosphoric liquid is a form of
phosphoric acid, and to pour acid on a human being might be considered

some form
of assault or mayhem under the UCMJ, the Geneva Conventions

notwithstanding.

It's not being a "lawyer" you'ld need to worry about, George.
The stuffs a binary agent that when mixed together (by breaking
the inner tube by bending the whole works) emits light. No
readily detectable heat, I don't recall any odor to speak of
and non-toxic. It is kind of sticky.
I've gotten a bit on me from time to time.

The original ones were derived from luciferin and luciferinidase, the
light sources of the firefly. I don't know current contents.

I have worked with phosphoric acid, which is not phosphorescent. White,
but not red, elemental phosphorus will glow. Trust me -- if you get
white phosphorus on you, there is no need to get either a lawyer,
pathologist, or bartended to determine there was an assault.
Old May 17th 04, 08:30 PM
B2431

From: (HiC)

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

It's all part of the same concept, just because it's "required", doesn't
mean it gets done. As I pointed out, my friend who's in the reserves

never
receives any of this "required" training, nor did I when I was in my

active
duty unit.

Yeah, right... I served in two different active duty units and four reserve
component units--all received the required training. Your friend needs to
square away his unit (though that he is an NCO, thus having attended BNCOC
and ANCOC, and still claims he has not received this training is *very*
suspicious...). Sorry, but I am not buying this, "Our units operated beyond
the pale of regulations and training requirements..." bit. Nor am I buying
into a claim that an *MP* unit had never received training regarding the
proper handling of EPW's, either.

I don't know what the MP units did or didn't do. I do believe that
some senior officers and very likely way up higher than them knew what
was going on. Now everyone is scrambling to deny culpability.

I'm not making the same mistake as a couple of you and making broad
claims that I know for an absolute fact what goes on in each and every
unit in the armed forces because it's in a reg book somewhere. I
stated what my experience was (or wasn't) and even called a longtime
buddy who's remained in the reserves and therefore figured would be
more current on what's going on. He related similar experience.

That fact that we were in the band might have something to do with it,
I don't know.

Just to remind you: your secondary MOS was infantry. Are you going to tell us
they didn't even teach you the Code of Conduct in basic either?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 31st 04, 09:04 PM
Gord Beaman

Ed Majden wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4894001/

Why do I get an NBC News page that is blank when I go to the above web
address???????

Comes up instantly for me Ed (...unlike most of my efforts...)
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)