Newsgroups and Email

Old July 6th 03, 07:12 PM
Jim Weir

Default Newsgroups and Email

Hey, fellers...

I was always taught that if a subject started in the newsgroups, it STAYED in
the newsgroups. Lately it seems more and more that in answer to some aviation
thread in these groups, I'm getting an email request for more information.

Please, if it starts in these groups, let's KEEP it in these groups. That's the
only way information is shared equally.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 7th 03, 03:26 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Weir wrote:

Please, if it starts in these groups, let's KEEP it in these groups. That's the
only way information is shared equally.

Yep. The only excuse for resorting to email is when you are pretty sure that
only the recipient of the mail will be interested in what you have to say.
That's rare with a usenet thread. Either your post will be interesting to
a number of people, or the recipient of your email won't be interested in
it either!

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 7th 03, 02:22 PM
MJC

Jim,
I appreciate your willingness to be upfront with your name and email
address, but that's exactly what you DON'T want to do if you intend to keep
your personal email account under control.
If you continue to use your correct email address in your newsgroup
activities, a combination of weirdo's, email harvesting robots, and just
plain jerks are going to continue to send you unwanted email to your
personal account. If someone wants to respond to a message you left in the
newsgroup, then they need to respond to you here as well.
I would love to be as upfront as you, but I have learned my lesson many
times over. It is totally fine that I am known as MJC in the group, and my
reply email address speaks for itself about how I feel about being contacted
personally from news messages. For those who absolutely MUST research my
header and available info, fine, as long as I make it as difficult as
possible for the above named weirdo's, etc. to find me. If I (or others)
abuse the use of the newsgroup, we can always be reported to the "abuse"
people listed in our properties section of the message and _those_ people
will deal with the abuser.
So I would recommend at least entering a bogus dead-end email address in
your newsreader setup. You don't even have to use your real name either.
It's not dishonest, it's a matter of internet survival.

MJC

Old July 7th 03, 02:31 PM
Jim Weir

It's not the bozos trying to peddle little blue pills or rod creams I'm talking
about. I've got a perfectly good spam filter program for that crap.

It is the person who sees something in the newsgroups, and because theirs is
painted blue instead of red emails me to ask if blue will work. I don't mind
sharing my opinion, but what about the other two dozen folks in this ng that
have a blue one as well? Don't they deserve to share in that discussion?

And, the day I can't post my name to that which I write is the day I stop
writing. I've a bit of John Hancock in me, I believe.

Jim

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 7th 03, 05:55 PM
Kevin McCue

Jim-

Better be careful using that "S" word. Hormel is now vigorously
defending its trademark in the email world.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/29981?mode=flat

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old July 7th 03, 06:10 PM
Ron Natalie

"Kevin McCue" wrote in message ...
Jim-

Better be careful using that "S" word. Hormel is now vigorously
defending its trademark in the email world.

Hormel has no problem (at least they claim they don't) with people using
SPAM as a term to describe email. What they are protecting is anybody
attempting to use the SPAM trademark to any other commercial advantage
(specifically a SPAM-email eliminator with SPAM in the name).

Old July 7th 03, 09:11 PM
Paul Hirose

MJC wrote:

I appreciate your willingness to be upfront with your name and email
address, but that's exactly what you DON'T want to do if you intend to keep
your personal email account under control.

The address you use publicly doesn't have to be the one you give to
friends and family. I'm allowed as many as eight mailboxes for no
extra charge, so I've set up a private address, a business address
(for eBay etc.) and a public address. The last one is the most
vulnerable, so I use my ISP's web interface to clear junk from the
mailbox. That way wormy emails never get into my computer. (About
every half the messages seem to be bogus Microsoft "updates".)

For about three months I've been using that address for all my Usenet
postings. It averages only about two spams per day, and I'm running
unfiltered. If the spam gets too heavy I can just change the address.
No need to inform anyone since the only legitimate traffic is the rare
private reply to something I've posted.

If you continue to use your correct email address in your newsgroup
activities, a combination of weirdo's, email harvesting robots, and just
plain jerks are going to continue to send you unwanted email to your
personal account. If someone wants to respond to a message you left in the
newsgroup, then they need to respond to you here as well.

I can't recall ever getting email from a weirdo or jerk.

There are some good reasons for sending private replies. I've gotten
"attaboys" from readers who thought I'd put up a particularly
informative post. That's the right way to do it; complimenting someone
in the thread just clutters it up without advancing the discussion.

One guy sent the coordinates for his property corners so I could help
him figure out the land surveyor's figures. You wouldn't want to
broadcast something like that.

Another time in a newsgroup thread I mentioned a deficiency in a U.S.
government web site. Somebody in that organization was lurking,
because a couple days later I received an email from one of their
chief scientists, thanking me for spotting this problem. They had
taken care of it. I'm not sure what amazed me more, this honcho taking
time to thank me, or a government agency clearing up a problem that
fast.

--

Paul Hirose
Old July 8th 03, 08:56 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

"Kevin McCue" wrote in message
Jim-

Better be careful using that "S" word. Hormel is now vigorously
defending its trademark in the email world.

Hormel has no problem (at least they claim they don't) with people using
SPAM as a term to describe email. What they are protecting is anybody
attempting to use the SPAM trademark to any other commercial advantage
(specifically a SPAM-email eliminator with SPAM in the name).

It's more complicated -- the folks getting sued apparently used an image
of the Hormel can in their advertising.

There are _lots_ of *registered* trademarks using the word 'spam' -- many
of which are related to the e-mail 'problem' -- that are _not_ owned by
Hormel.

A 'search' on the U.S. Govt trademark office website shows over SIXTY
different trademarks using the word SPAM. 12 of them are registered by
Hormel.

The folks getting sued are one of the _newest_ registrants in that list..

Old July 8th 03, 11:30 PM
James Blakely

Hey Jim, I'll e-mail you off line with my response.

snicker

Oh come on guys! I was just joking.