Where are the armed pilots?

Old December 23rd 03, 03:20 PM
Grandpa B.

Default Where are the armed pilots?

Let's see...

1) Yes, I have two permits, and am legal in (at least) 26 states.
2) Yes - but not in major airport terminals (haven't been in one recently)
3) Haven't been flying recently, either - not since getting permits
4) No - see 2&3
5) Not yet; I'm hoping never
6) Kimber 1911 in .45ACP or Hi-Power in 9mm. I'll carry S&W .44mag when over
'bear' country

Jon

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message

snip

Brings up an interesting question....How many of us Gen.Av. pilots bring

our legal concealed
carry weapons up in the air with us?
I don't think I have ever seen a discussion of this issue.
So,
1) Are you licensed for concealed weapon carry and in how many states?
2) Do you carry your gun at the airport (often, rarely, etc.)?
3) What do you do with it when you are flying?
4) Have you ever had a problem with airport personel who may have caught

sight of the gun?
5) Have you ever been in a situation where you were thankful that you

brought it with you?
6) What do you usually carry?

snip

Old December 23rd 03, 03:34 PM
Judah

Are you concerned that one of your passengers will Hijack your GA Aircraft?

I personally don't carry a gun, but I don't object to them.

Nomen Nescio ] wrote in
:

Old December 23rd 03, 04:13 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

1) Are you licensed for concealed weapon carry and in how many states?

Nope, not in a single one.

2) Do you carry your gun at the airport (often, rarely, etc.)?

Have never seen even the smallest need to even give it the briefest
considertation.

3) What do you do with it when you are flying?
4) Have you ever had a problem with airport personel who may
have caught sight of the gun?

Not applicable.

5) Have you ever been in a situation where you were thankful
that you brought it with you?

There have been situations in my life when I have been armed and times when
I wish I had been. But I have to say that these situations could not have
been further removed from General Aviation. In fact, I would say that GA
airports -- even remote GA airports in the darkest hours of the night -- are
probably the safest damn places anywhere in this great nation of ours. I
would probably be at greater risk in my own house late at night than I would
be when pre-flighting an airplane at almost any airport I could think of.
This would be especially true on a night when my wife has opened the latest
invoice from the flying club. (Note to self: get to the mailbox before wife
does).

But in all seriousness, while airports are not totally crime-free, they are
almost invariably lower risk than the area which surrounds them. This is
especially true of violent crime. I would be far more nervous withdrawing
cash from an ATM at any hour of the day than I would be at even an
unattended GA airport. I've never seen even a hint that would suggest any
danger at any airport.

6) What do you usually carry?

I own a Sig P-226, locked away and rarely removed from it's holdster. I'm
thinking of selling it. Anyone want to make me an offer? I really don't
need the thing, and I especially don't need it when I go flying.

Old December 23rd 03, 05:22 PM
C J Campbell

I have a Washington concealed carry permit, but see little reason to carry a
weapon most of the time unless I am going hunting or doing some recreational
shooting. I find them heavy and awkward to handle. I don't know what other
states would honor the Washington permit.

Old December 23rd 03, 06:21 PM
Kevin McCue

1. Nope, not a single one.

2. Only going on a hunting trips in a case.

3. Put it/them in the luggage area.

4. Nope

5. Only on combat missions (.38 or 9mm depending on airframe).

6. Thompson Contender 7-30 Waters.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old December 23rd 03, 07:20 PM
Newps

Nomen Nescio wrote:

Brings up an interesting question....How many of us Gen.Av. pilots bring our legal concealed
carry weapons up in the air with us?

In Montana you cannot conceal a weapon in your car or plane. They are
an extension of your home and therefore, by definition, you cannot
conceal a gun in a plane. I have a .22 pistol with me in the copilot
seatback to blast the occasional gopher or just to plink around with
when we land in the dirt somewhere. When we go into the backcountry I
will also pack my .41.

1) Are you licensed for concealed weapon carry and in how many states?

Don't need to be here.

2) Do you carry your gun at the airport (often, rarely, etc.)?

At least one gun is always in the plane.

3) What do you do with it when you are flying?

It stays in its holster, I just make sure there isn't a round in the
chamber.

4) Have you ever had a problem with airport personel who may have caught sight of the gun?

That's funny, this being Montana.

5) Have you ever been in a situation where you were thankful that you brought it with you?

I'm thankful every time. I have never needed it though.

6) What do you usually carry?

..22, .41 mag or .480 Ruger. Sometimes a shotgun.

Old December 23rd 03, 09:54 PM
Brien K. Meehan

"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote in message link.net...
I've never seen even a hint that would suggest any
danger at any airport.

Until fairly recently, there was never a hint that would suggest any
danger of airplanes deliberately flying into the World Trade Center
and Pentagon.

That happened, and it opened the eyes of MOST pilots to the real
possibility of unknown dangers at the airport. Plus, the DHS has
specifically warned us of threats possibly using GA aircraft in
terrorist operations. Accurate, overstated, or otherwise, I see that
as a "hint."

I own a Sig P-226 ...

.... then you're the only handgun owner I've ever heard of who seems to
refuse to be vigilant. Please reconsider.

http://www.aopa.org/asn/watchindex.shtml
Old December 23rd 03, 09:58 PM
Brien K. Meehan

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message
1) Are you licensed for concealed weapon carry and in how many states?
2) Do you carry your gun at the airport (often, rarely, etc.)?

I've heard it said that disclosing that you carry a concealed weapon
means you're not carrying a concealed weapon. Why would anyone want
to disclose that?
Old December 23rd 03, 10:10 PM
Ron Natalie

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message om...
"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message
1) Are you licensed for concealed weapon carry and in how many states?
2) Do you carry your gun at the airport (often, rarely, etc.)?

I've heard it said that disclosing that you carry a concealed weapon
means you're not carrying a concealed weapon. Why would anyone want
to disclose that?

Depends on state law.