Iran's torpedo

Old April 10th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Iran's torpedo

"FatKat" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeb Hoge wrote:
Shkval has been a known quantity in the Russian arsenal for a while, and

one would
presume that the USN sub force has been at least working on, if not

deploying, a
counterforce option already.

I would presumne no such thing. My guess is that we've been hedging
our bet on Shkval's nascent technology.

No word on a supercavitating torpedo, but USN does have a supercavitating
bullet that can be used to blow up mines. It was developed in the late
1990s, so is probably operational by now.

http://www.supercavitation.com/html/projectiles.html

JD

Old April 10th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Wanna bet that we've already got a solid recording of a Shkval launch
in every SSN's database? I don't think they're homers...there's
probably a pre-defined evasion maneuver that OOD commands the second
sonar calls out a launch cue.

In training, of course.

Old April 11th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Jeb Hoge wrote:
Wanna bet that we've already got a solid recording of a Shkval launch
in every SSN's database?

Don't see what good that would do - these things are so loud there's
probably no mistaking them pnce they've been launched.

I don't think they're homers...there's probably a pre-defined evasion maneuver that
OOD commands the second sonar calls out a launch cue.

I don't see how they could be maneuvering homers - that
super-cavitation probably makes it impossible to get any decent sensor
working. They're probably launched similar to straight running
torpedoes. Even so, what are the range paramters? You've got the
length of the target sub, how fast it can get away, target-sub aspect,
and guesses as to where the torp is aimed/heading - against a torp
that's supposed to cover 5 miles a minute.