What is that thing?

Old November 14th 03, 11:46 PM
Montblack

("C J Campbell" wrote)
http://www.avweb.com/newspics/winner946.jpg

What is the thing that looks like a big kettle in the foreground?

Hey Homie!

It's the hole you pour money into when you own a plane. I think the one in
the avweb pic is aluminum. The ones sitting around at the Duluth airport are
composite holes.

Aren't most planes equipped with one?

I own an aquatic version of that very same hole. It came, included, in the
boat-motor-trailer package we bought this summer from my folks.

--
Montblack

Old November 15th 03, 01:51 AM
C J Campbell

Christopher ..
I can't post to a newsgroup from this account, feel free to post this if
you wish.
To me. it looks like the forward part of a jet engine nacelle. My guess
is one of the hi-bypass turbo-fan type engines such as on the 767. It's
not an 'oval' shape, so chances are it's not for the newer 737s.

DJSloan/Ground bound [for now] in Houston, TX

Old November 15th 03, 03:55 AM
BTIZ

a big kettle?

a ring cowling off a 747 engine?
not that it would belong parked next to all those Beech Starships

BT

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
http://www.avweb.com/newspics/winner946.jpg

What is the thing that looks like a big kettle in the foreground?

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

For the Homeland!

Old November 15th 03, 05:55 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Beer keg?

definitely not because it isn't painted light blue as in HP....
damn, I can't even remember the full name of the airline. Oh just
remembed, America West. I used to be a UA 1K but now I prefer
to fly myself.

My guess is one of the hi-bypass turbo-fan type engines such
as on the 767. It's
not an 'oval' shape, so chances are it's not for the newer 737s.

correct on the 737 since it isn't oval shaped and it isn't of
the 737-300 low-bypass engines either. I doubt it is a 767 or 777
since those intakes are about the size of a 737 diameter. I don't
think it is a 747 nacelle either. I
presume it is from a US air carrier so you can rule out almost
every other manufacturer since it is bigger than a Regional Jet
intake.

Maybe it is a beer keg?

Gerald

Old November 19th 03, 03:22 PM
Paul Sengupta

Well, the 767 and 747 engines should be the same size shouldn't
they? I know the BA fleet use RB211-524Gs or Hs on both those
planes. The 777 uses the Trent or GE90 which is bigger, though
the Trent series now has various sizes.

Paul

"Gerald Sylvester" wrote in message
nk.net...
My guess is one of the hi-bypass turbo-fan type engines such
as on the 767. It's
not an 'oval' shape, so chances are it's not for the newer 737s.

correct on the 737 since it isn't oval shaped and it isn't of
the 737-300 low-bypass engines either. I doubt it is a 767 or 777
since those intakes are about the size of a 737 diameter. I don't
think it is a 747 nacelle either.

Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Piloting 18 March 4th 05 07:22 PM
Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Owning 14 January 19th 05 10:17 PM
Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Military Aviation 9 August 31st 04 11:01 PM
SUV thing Fastglasair Home Built 4 July 12th 03 05:32 AM
Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Piloting 0 July 2nd 03 11:58 PM