Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day

Old June 28th 05, 02:47 PM
larsen-tools

Mike, I went to Clemson too, '66, but that's in Ocone County.
As I'm fond of saying, "the most I ever got to be in life was vice-president
of the Dixie Sky Divers, 1963, Clemson, South Carolina."
I'm in Encinitas, CA ... and not current..... otherwise, I'd like to be
there too.
I checked my atlas after my first post and yes, they have a Pickens County
in GA ....... I think my mind is slipping anyway.

"Mike Gaskins" wrote in message
oups.com...
That had me a bit confused too. I went to college at Clemson (which is
in Pickens County SC) and though it was close to the border, I didn't
think it was THAT close .

As to the event, maybe next year. Still working on my PPL and it's
further than I'd like to drive (I'm down near Charleston, SC). Sounds
like great fun though!!

Mike Gaskins

Deborah McFarland wrote:
You have not lost your mind. Pickens, South Carolina is almost 100 miles

due
east of us. There's Pickens County, Ala. and a Jasper, TN, too. The

unicom
frequency can get confusing sometimes on clear days!

Old June 28th 05, 03:21 PM
larsen-tools

See, I told you so, my mind IS slipping.......
Clemson is in Oconee County. :-)

Old June 28th 05, 05:45 PM
larsen-tools

Mike, you are correct.

"Mike Gaskins" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, no, Clemson is in Pickens County. When you cross the bridge
going towards Seneca you enter Oconee County . It's only about a
quarter mile drive from the University to the border so it is pretty
close.

Some of the town of Clemson might actually straddle the the county
lines, but most of the town and the University for sure is in Pickens
County.

Old June 29th 05, 12:18 AM

larsen-tools wrote:
I jumped at Pickens County airport in 1962, but I thought I was in South
Carolina.
Am I loosing my mind or did they move it ?? ...... it was a dirt strip at
the time.

It's big and paved now and slightly corporate after a big growth spurt
in Pickens, SC and Pickens County.

I fly over it occasionally on the way over the lakes to Clemson from
Hendersonville, NC.

Beautiful trip over mountains and valleys, btw, and Clemson has a great
little paved airport too.

Old June 29th 05, 01:36 AM
larsen-tools

A friend sent me to www.pickensairport.com
It sure didn't look like that in '62.
I remember a rough dirt strip, jumping from SuperCub, going through a tree
and landing in a stream, at dusk in October.
We started jumping at the Clemson airport in Nov '63...... a grass
strip...... much better.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old July 1st 05, 02:54 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 6/27/05 1:09 PM, in article ,
"Deborah McFarland" spewed:

July 4, 2005. Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day and Fly-In, Jasper,
Ga. (JZP) Vintage Flights and Alpha Helicopter will hop rides. Static
Displays. Children's Tent. Fly-in and have lots of fun in conjunction with
the city of Jasper's Fourth of July festivities. Contact: Pickens County
Airport at 706/253-8830 or event organizer, Deborah McFarland at
.

The first 100 kids will receive a free "Front Porch Gang" t-shirt (
http://home.alltel.net/damcfarland/ ) and a bag of aviation-related goodies.
There will be concessions on the field (Bubba's BBQ as well as hot dogs and
hamburgers).

All local pilots are invited to attend! Most of the crowd arrives after the
parade at 10:30 am.

Deb

I'll have to stop in.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM
Chester County (PA) Airport 40N, why not all-letter ID? Jamie Rogers Piloting 7 November 4th 03 10:35 PM