[AU] Light plane sparked terror alert

Old August 29th 03, 02:13 AM
David Bromage

Default [AU] Light plane sparked terror alert

The RAAF came close to sending a fully armed fighter jet to shoot down a
light plane during last year's Commonwealth Heads Of Government Meeting.
The light plane was detected flying towards restricted air space around
the conference venue. Air Commodore Dave Pietsch said a fully armed
F/A-18 Hornet fighter was prepared to intercept the aircraft and
commanders had full authority to order the Hornet to shoot it down.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...050611557.html

Old August 29th 03, 03:59 AM
Peter and Susan

Was reported in the media at the time.

Cheers
Peter Cokley

.. .

Old August 29th 03, 09:28 AM
Vector

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:59:14 +1000, "Peter and Susan"
wrote:

Was reported in the media at the time.

Cheers
Peter Cokley

Can you tell us where please?

I don't recall it being discussed here and I can't find anything via
Google either.

Thanks in advance
Vector

. ..

Old August 29th 03, 11:54 AM
Cub Driver

commanders had full authority to order the Hornet to shoot it down.

Certainly they have the authority. This does not mean they'd exercise
that authority.

In the U.S., to judge by a recent incident, the intercepting a/c are
configured for slow flight. They first try to contact the offending
a/c on the designated emergency channels, including 121.5 civil.
(Pilots are required to monitor 121.5 "if able"; I'm not able, so
don't do it. Instead I look around a lot.) The next step is to fire
red flares. I'm not sure about the step after that, because to the
best of my knowledge it has happened. Most likely it involves bouncing
the lightplane around in fighter-induced turbulence. I doubt that the
F-15/16/18 would go straight to missiles hot.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old August 29th 03, 11:57 AM
Peter and Susan

wrote:
Was reported in the media at the time.
Cheers
Peter Cokley

Can you tell us where please?
I don't recall it being discussed here and I can't find anything via
Google either.
Thanks in advance
Vector

I read the Courier Mail which is the main paper in QLD and watch the evening
news on TV. I recall this story made the Sth East QLD news [paper?] at the
time. I seem to recall a feature article in the paper [usually mid section
of paper somewhere around the Letters to Editor; not front news section]
about the RAAF activities at the Commonwealth Heads Of Government Meeting.
The event happened in Sth East QLD which is where I live so maybe it didn't
make the NSW or VIC papers at the time. Some of the things I read in the
paper regarding aviation in Sth East QLD don't always get a mention on this
newsgroup.

Cheers
Peter Cokley

Old August 29th 03, 12:20 PM
The Raven

"David Bromage" wrote in message
.. .
The RAAF came close

"came close"

to sending a fully armed fighter jet

Which didn't even take off.

to shoot down a
light plane during last year's Commonwealth Heads Of Government Meeting.

From WLM.............which wouldn't have got there in time to do squat.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old August 29th 03, 01:41 PM
Mike Marron

"The Raven" wrote:
"David Bromage" wrote:

The RAAF came close

"came close"

to sending a fully armed fighter jet

Which didn't even take off.

to shoot down a light plane during last year's Commonwealth Heads Of
Government Meeting.

From WLM.............which wouldn't have got there in time to do squat.

In the chaotic and paranoid days following 9/11 I was jumped in a
Cessna 210 by an F-15 approx. 30nm south of Miami near Turkey
Point (nuclear) powerplant.

If it took the same amount of time for the F-15 to fly 400nm from
Panama City to Miami as it took me to fly 80nm from Marathon to
Miami the Eagle driver had to have been cruising at more than
800 KIAS.

-Mike Marron

Old August 30th 03, 03:50 AM
matt weber

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:54:35 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

commanders had full authority to order the Hornet to shoot it down.

Certainly they have the authority. This does not mean they'd exercise
that authority.

In the U.S., to judge by a recent incident, the intercepting a/c are
configured for slow flight. They first try to contact the offending
a/c on the designated emergency channels, including 121.5 civil.
(Pilots are required to monitor 121.5 "if able"; I'm not able, so
don't do it. Instead I look around a lot.) The next step is to fire
red flares. I'm not sure about the step after that, because to the
best of my knowledge it has happened. Most likely it involves bouncing
the lightplane around in fighter-induced turbulence. I doubt that the
F-15/16/18 would go straight to missiles hot.

It is not clear how effective a missle would be. A small aircraft
doesn't have much of a heat signature,and what there is greatly
reduced by the turbulence produced by airflow. Exhaust is at the
front.

In addition, the speeds are so low, that you don't get any leading
edge heating. In short I am not at all convinced that an IR guided
missile would be able to lock onto a prop powered 100hp aircraft. It
just isn't much of an IR or a radar target...

These things often don't have much of a radar signature. There is the
Cessna that made it all the way to Moscow during the cold war and
landed in Red Square....
Old August 30th 03, 05:40 AM
David Bromage

matt weber wrote:
In addition, the speeds are so low, that you don't get any leading
edge heating. In short I am not at all convinced that an IR guided
missile would be able to lock onto a prop powered 100hp aircraft. It
just isn't much of an IR or a radar target...

Plus speeds are so low that it would be hard to line up a cannot shot.
This was the problem the RAAF had with the pilotless Auster in 1955. The
Auster was going 30mph slower than the stall speed of a Meteor.

Cheers
David

Old August 30th 03, 05:47 AM
Mick

From WLM.............which wouldn't have got there in time to do squat.

They were acctualy based at Amberley, about 6 minutes away, duing the
meeting.

Kit Plane Instrument light dimmer Mickey Home Built 1 December 3rd 03 05:46 PM
A Good Story Badwater Bill Home Built 15 September 3rd 03 03:00 PM
OT but very funny after some of the posts we have had of late. Mycroft Military Aviation 1 August 8th 03 10:09 PM
Looking for a fast light plane Dave lentle Home Built 2 August 6th 03 03:41 AM
Slats and Fowler Flaps On Light Plane Brock Home Built 28 July 31st 03 10:12 PM