German High Speed SAM Missile

Old October 17th 03, 06:41 PM
JT

Default German High Speed SAM Missile

Does anyone have any details on the German high velocity (Mach 5-6)
missile called the HFK (or HFK2)? Sounds like an interesting project
which I believe will be operational around 2010.

-----JT-----
Old October 17th 03, 06:57 PM
Thomas Schoene

"JT" wrote in message
om
Does anyone have any details on the German high velocity (Mach 5-6)
missile called the HFK (or HFK2)? Sounds like an interesting project
which I believe will be operational around 2010.

http://www.bayernchemie-protac.com/e...hypervelocity/

I don't beleive this is associated with any actual production program; it's
just a tech demonstrator. (Which could be bad given the massive cuts
pending in German R&D efforts)

Long-term, the technology might show up as an alternative missile for MEADS,
or perhaps Roland. But not by 2010.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old October 17th 03, 11:52 PM
phil hunt

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:57:59 GMT, Thomas Schoene wrote:
"JT" wrote in message
. com
Does anyone have any details on the German high velocity (Mach 5-6)
missile called the HFK (or HFK2)? Sounds like an interesting project
which I believe will be operational around 2010.

http://www.bayernchemie-protac.com/e...hypervelocity/

I don't beleive this is associated with any actual production program; it's
just a tech demonstrator. (Which could be bad given the massive cuts
pending in German R&D efforts)

Long-term, the technology might show up as an alternative missile for MEADS,
or perhaps Roland.

Or as a final-stage boost for missiles such as Meteor or MICA, if
the picture at the link is anything to go by.

(My real email address would be if you added 275
to it and reversed the last two letters).

Old October 18th 03, 11:47 PM

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any details on the German high velocity (Mach 5-6)
missile called the HFK (or HFK2)? Sounds like an interesting project
which I believe will be operational around 2010.

Please find more information in the following article: (German)
http://soldat-und-technik.de/artikel.../luftwaffe.htm

Random bits of information from said page:
- describes HFK program, test results from early 2002
- conical shape, grid fins
- integrated structure/engine, carbon-fiber
- on-board sensor only 4km range; needs mid-course guidance
- loud 'boom' upon impact
- variants with speed/range/weight of 4.4Mach/15km/60kg and
5.5Mach/18-20km/90kg
- measured: 6.5Mach close to ground
- measured: acceleration 210g, speed 6.62Mach after ca. 2s flight
- measured: 2750°C surface temperature (?)
- due to 'aerodynamic instability' lateral acceleration in excess of
100g occurred, then missile stabilized itself and continued flight as
planned
- useful configurations need to be determined
- research will be continued, joint German-Swedish program, 2004-2006

Cheers!
Old October 19th 03, 07:30 AM
Urban Fredriksson

In article t,
Thomas Schoene wrote:

http://www.bayernchemie-protac.com/e...hypervelocity/

I don't beleive this is associated with any actual production program; it's
just a tech demonstrator. (Which could be bad given the massive cuts
pending in German R&D efforts)

Looks very much like something to do with Bofors's Abraham
which is more than just a demonstrator program, even if
it's not gotten full funding.
--
Urban Fredriksson http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
To get rid of an enemy, make him a friend.
Old October 19th 03, 07:10 PM
robert arndt

(Urban Fredriksson) wrote in message ...
In article t,
Thomas Schoene wrote:

http://www.bayernchemie-protac.com/e...hypervelocity/

I don't beleive this is associated with any actual production program; it's
just a tech demonstrator. (Which could be bad given the massive cuts
pending in German R&D efforts)

Check out this link:

http://www.awgnet.com/shownews/03paris/hard13.htm

Apparently it will be developed into a system.

Rob
Old October 19th 03, 07:47 PM
Thomas Schoene

om
Thomas Schoene wrote:

http://www.bayernchemie-protac.com/e...hypervelocity/

I don't beleive this is associated with any actual production
program; it's just a tech demonstrator. (Which could be bad
given the massive cuts pending in German R&D efforts)

Check out this link:

http://www.awgnet.com/shownews/03paris/hard13.htm

Apparently it will be developed into a system.

That's not what the article says. It says Germany and Sweden hope to apply
the technology developed in a joint R&D program to future weapons.

Those weapons will likely not be HFK 2 but will sue technology demonstrated
in the HFK project. This relationship sounds like the one between X-planes
(pre-Joint Strike Fighter) and operational aircraft.

Old October 19th 03, 11:16 PM
robert arndt

Thomas Schoene wrote:

http://www.bayernchemie-protac.com/e...hypervelocity/

I don't beleive this is associated with any actual production
program; it's just a tech demonstrator. (Which could be bad
given the massive cuts pending in German R&D efforts)

Check out this link:

http://www.awgnet.com/shownews/03paris/hard13.htm

Apparently it will be developed into a system.

That's not what the article says. It says Germany and Sweden hope to apply
the technology developed in a joint R&D program to future weapons.

Those weapons will likely not be HFK 2 but will sue technology demonstrated
in the HFK project. This relationship sounds like the one between X-planes
(pre-Joint Strike Fighter) and operational aircraft.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

I didn't say that it would be developed into HFK 2 or suggest that.
The joint program has the intent to use the technology demonstrated
towards a future weapon system(s). I was responding to the suggestion
that this was a purely German program and that based on cutbacks in
German R&D might amount to nothing.
The article points to a joint program with the intent to develop the
technology into a working missile system sometime in the future.

Rob
Old October 21st 03, 03:41 AM
Thomas Schoene

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om

I didn't say that it would be developed into HFK 2 or suggest that.
The joint program has the intent to use the technology demonstrated
towards a future weapon system(s). I was responding to the suggestion
that this was a purely German program and that based on cutbacks in
German R&D might amount to nothing.
The article points to a joint program with the intent to develop the
technology into a working missile system sometime in the future.

OK, that's pretty much what I said at the outset -- it's a technology
demosntrator that will produce concepts that may show up in future programs.
That's not the same as the original post, which said HKF 2 could be
operational by 2010.

Old October 21st 03, 06:41 PM
JT

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message news:X11lb.5227
OK, that's pretty much what I said at the outset -- it's a technology
demosntrator that will produce concepts that may show up in future programs.
That's not the same as the original post, which said HKF 2 could be
operational by 2010.
"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Check out this quote from:
http://www.afcea.org/signal/europe20...ny/Germany.htm

Dr. Michael Langer, head of the BGT liaison office in Koblenz, reports
that the company also is developing the HFK hypervelocity missile to
replace the Roland surface-to-air missile system. Weapons in this
category are scheduled for introduction in the inventory around 2010.
The HFK system is now undergoing demonstration and validation tests by
the German army. The missile is designed to fit into existing Roland
missile launchers that are widely deployed. He notes that the Mach 6
missile was originally conceived to combat main battle tanks at medium
distances to penetrate armor by means of kinetic-energy impact.

The HFK now is used primarily for defense against fast and low-flying
aircraft and missiles at short distances. These targets require
extremely short reaction times and thus very short flight times for an
interceptor missile. Langer emphasizes that the "booster sends the HFK
missile up to full speed within 1 second of launch. The missile's
range is out to 50 kilometers (30 miles)," he says. Emphasis is on
autonomous guidance and control of hypersonic missiles by means of
inertial systems and seeker-assisted terminal guidance.

If these numbers are correct it means the missile will be around 2.2m
- 2.6m in length, weigh around 70-90 kg with the speed of Mach 6 and a
range of 50km!