SunTiger Sunglassas

Old February 4th 18, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default SunTiger Sunglassas

On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 1:17:48 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 10:44:42 PM UTC-5, Glider RN wrote:
I have purchased them for several years and had excellent service from Edgar Garcia at Elton Optics in Las Vegas. Web site at http://sunglasspolarized.net/
lists Sun Tiger - Avian 515 for Soaring Pilots.

Does anyone know if Elton Optics still exists? I need to get a new pair of prescription sunglasses. I called Elton Optics and the call was answered by Eagle Eyes automated service.
I used to order his Avian 515 Non-Polarized Lens. They are great and the service was very good.

I bought some last year,

Link:

http://sunglasspolarized.net/

Avian 515 are on this link.

Edgar is the guys name.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 5th 18, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 10:38:13 AM UTC-5, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
[...]

Thank you, he called me back. He is in business!
Old February 6th 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Andrzej, I need a new pair of prescription sunglasses also.

What color do you recommend for soaring?, from what I gather
on their website they recommend Amber.
Old February 6th 18, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Heinz Gehlhaar

I looked at that site, and found that all those glasses seem to be polarized.
Physics says that one thing that polarization does is reduce reflections from objects. While that is good for your eyes, it does not help you in finding that aircraft which is heading right at you. That is the reason that polarized glasses are not recommended for flying.
Heinz

I bought some last year,

Link:

Old February 6th 18, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Heinz Gehlhaar

And I see I am wrong. They do have yellow Avian 515 Non-Polarized Lenses
Heinz

I looked at that site, ...

Old February 6th 18, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 9:13:02 PM UTC-5, joesimmers wrote:
Andrzej, I need a new pair of prescription sunglasses also.

What color do you recommend for soaring?, from what I gather
on their website they recommend Amber.

Talk to Edgar. The soaring sunglasses are the Avian 515 Non-Polarized Lenses. He can adjust the level of tint to your liking. I have had mine for 5 years and I am very happy with them.
Old February 6th 18, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 6:13:02 PM UTC-8, joesimmers wrote:
Andrzej, I need a new pair of prescription sunglasses also.

What color do you recommend for soaring?, from what I gather
on their website they recommend Amber.

Joe,

I got the Avian 515 Non-Polarized Lens and the glare reduction feature.
Prescription with bifocal reader. Call Edgar and talk to him.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 6th 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

In the 30 some years, I can't say polarization has hurt in identifying other aircraft. As soon as you tilt your head vs. horizontal, wing glints show up.
Being able to tilt your head side to side to see "haze balls/domes" develop helps.

Sorta comes down to pilot preference, I prefer polarized.
;-)

BTW, the closest "surprise encounter" with another aircraft was in a gaggle when someone was waaaayyyyyy more aggressive than I in a thermal and came over the top of me.
How close? I could tell it was cloth tape on the gear door hinge, not plastic.
Yes, I had a chat with the pilot and the CD later.
Polarized glasses would not make/break that encounter.
Old February 6th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Heinz Gehlhaar

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 8:17:16 AM UTC-8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
In the 30 some years, I can't say polarization has hurt in identifying other aircraft. As soon as you tilt your head vs. horizontal, wing glints show up.
Being able to tilt your head side to side to see "haze balls/domes" develop helps.

Charlie: That's exactly what I meant to say: Only as soon as you tilt your head vs. horizontal, does the wing glints show up.
And I hate have a nice flight always having to tilt my head right-side and left-side.
Old February 6th 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

How often, in a Soaring flight, is your head close to "perfectly vertical"?

As I stated, sorta pilot preference, but I have no clue if polarized glasses EVER made me miss a potential hazard.

I weigh what I am looking for vs. what I "may" miss. This is a lot of hours in thermal flight vs. ridge flights.

Again, sort pilot preference.
I doubt major time looking at accidents/near hits (I hate near miss as a comment, to me it means you only hit mildly, but it's still a midair......semantics, but sorta accurate.....whatever....) would yield any data for either type of glasses.
Pick what floats your boat.