Public ADS-B Performance Report Request

Old March 7th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Public ADS-B Performance Report Request

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 10:03:49 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 3/6/2018 6:29 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
if they do reach out to you use that as a chance to educate them/point them at TSO-C199. Or just point them at me, I'm happy to help.

Who are you Darryl?

http://ssaconvention.org/speakers/darryl-ramm/
Old March 7th 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 8:29:56 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 5:11:59 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:
No Trig TT21? Isn’t that a valid TABS device?

Andy

These reports were not designed for TABS devices, they are for 2020 CompliantADS-B Out devices which the TT21 is *not*.

But if you have a TT21 and doing a check yourself on your TABS system I just say it's a TT22 and then in the comments section say its really a TT21 configured for TABS/TCO-C199 and that this install is not seeking to comply with 14 CFR 21.225/227.

Even if its a TT22 but configured for TABS in a type certified glider I would also make a note that this is a TABS/TCO-C199 and is not seeking to comply with 14 CFR 21.225/227.

These reports will likely eventually noticed by FSDO staff and they might not understand TABS, if they do reach out to you use that as a chance to educate them/point them at TSO-C199. Or just point them at me, I'm happy to help.

Thanks - I figured there must be a workaround. Gonna get me a TN-72 now..

Andy
Old March 7th 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 7:03:49 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 3/6/2018 6:29 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
if they do reach out to you use that as a chance to educate them/point them at TSO-C199. Or just point them at me, I'm happy to help.

Who are you Darryl?

We've gotten a lot of good advice and information from you, and that's
much appreciated.Â* So is this a hobby for you or are you with the FAA,
an avionics supplier, consultant on the program, etc.? Your knowledge on
the subject seems vast.

Best,
--
Dan, 5J

It's not a hobby for Darryl, its a Calling. Like religion . He's an evangelist. Some say a Faith Healer. He'll just lay his hands on your glider and BAM! its got ADS-B.
Old March 7th 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:03:29 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 7:03:49 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 3/6/2018 6:29 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
if they do reach out to you use that as a chance to educate them/point them at TSO-C199. Or just point them at me, I'm happy to help.

Who are you Darryl?

We've gotten a lot of good advice and information from you, and that's
much appreciated.Â* So is this a hobby for you or are you with the FAA,
an avionics supplier, consultant on the program, etc.? Your knowledge on
the subject seems vast.

Best,
--
Dan, 5J

It's not a hobby for Darryl, its a Calling. Like religion . He's an evangelist. Some say a Faith Healer. He'll just lay his hands on your glider and BAM! its got ADS-B.

I know you are joking, but lets be a bit careful, I have tried to articulate that transponders and/or PowerFLARM are important first considerations for many folks, and that ADS-B Out may be a helpful thing for glider pilots more concerned about GA traffic.

The Trig TN72 GPS source is a pretty compelling relatively low-cost add-on for owners with a Trig TT21 or TT22 transponder in their glider today, likely a "just do it" upgrade for many. And certainly ADS-B out installs are starting to happen... including full 2020 compliant installs for folks who need ADS-B Out in gliders for flight in Class A airspace after January 1 2020.. I hope to share more information about some of those interesting ADS-B Out installs in future... BUT...

.... I hope folks do not lose sight of the importance of PowerFLARM for glider-glider and glider-towplane threats and basic transponder use near airliners, fast jets and (often) military traffic threats. I'm very glad to see glider owners flying near busy airliner/fast jet airspace buying used Mode C transponders for ~$600 and installing them in their gliders.