Helping with land out blues............

Old April 2nd 16, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default Helping with land out blues............

Recent research findings from independent groups in University of
Bristol and Sage college in Troy, NY, show cow dung to be an excellent
mood enhancing agent. Cow dung contains a bacteria Mycobacterium
vaccae, which activates a group of neurons in the brain that produce
serotonin - a neurotransmitter that contributes to feelings of well
being and happiness.
So the next time you land out or feel depressed try
finding some fresh cow dung and get a lungful of this fresh fragrance.........

Best. #711.
Old April 2nd 16, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 9:00:54 PM UTC-7, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
Recent research findings from independent groups in University of
Bristol and Sage college in Troy, NY, show cow dung to be an excellent
mood enhancing agent. Cow dung contains a bacteria Mycobacterium
vaccae, which activates a group of neurons in the brain that produce
serotonin - a neurotransmitter that contributes to feelings of well
being and happiness.
So the next time you land out or feel depressed try
finding some fresh cow dung and get a lungful of this fresh fragrance.........

Best. #711.

Hey Tom, is it purely coincidental that it is April 1st today?
Old April 2nd 16, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I landed in a cow pasture a couple years ago. Once I got stopped and opened the canopy, there was a group of 5 or 6 cows standing shoulder to shoulder staring at me. It reminded me of teenaged boys at a dance: "You go talk to her." "No, you go!" "Ok, I'll go if you do!" It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. But once I got out of the glider (and didn't have any cow food) they got bored and wandered off.
Old April 2nd 16, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cow dung at a land out spot would indeed be welcome where I fly as it would mean that a clear area at least as big as one cow was available. That would be vastly more desirable than the steep cliffs and sharp ridges that are below me on 90% of my flights.

Old April 2nd 16, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

The dairymen in Vermont periodically spread their manure piles on hayfields to get rid of it. The smell at 3000 AGL indicates a strong thermal close at hand.
Old April 2nd 16, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

During on of my parachute training jumps, as I approached landing and
began my flare, I was faced with a cactus and a cow pie. Luckily I was
able to split the difference (by sheer luck).

Dan

Old April 3rd 16, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A friend of mine once ejected from an F-104 and touched down in a field that had just been covered with manure. His feet touched the ground and he went right over forward onto his face into the fresh cow leavings. He said the glamour and pride he felt as a young fighter pilot was at a low ebb that day.
Old April 4th 16, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

I experienced loss of power flying my Husky several years ago, a cow pasture was the only option. I encountered strong sink and had to cut my pattern short and land the short dimension cross hill, rather than up hill. Short final looked to be lots of rocks - not good. Pasture was being irrigated, no cows, and what I thought were rocks were clumps of cow patties, lots and lots of them. Things I learned:

Braking in wet cow manure is nil. It behaves like grease but smells worse.

An intentional ground loop can prevent you from going through a barbed wire fence, but just barely.

The swoopy paint pattern common on motor homes doesn't look all that great when it's in brown on the side of the plane and hanging down under the elevator.

The rancher said, I heard you a comin' over that ridge and it didn't sound good to me, I knew you was in trouble. I allowed as to how I was right there in the cockpit and it didn't sound real good to me neither! He said nobodies ever landed here in this pasture before - I told him I was sorry to be the first, but did appreciate that he removed the cows prior to my arrival :c(

Old April 6th 16, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
howard banks

I once landed in an ugly empty field. Soon there were two fairly frisky horses clomping around my then 20; fortunately they kept their hooves to themselves. After snuffling the canopy by one of them they went back to their corralled area. To be replaced by five cows, one much larger than the others.
They turned out to be cows complete with appendages, the whole 9 yards as it were. And the lead one, a kinda Brahmin bull with a hump, seemed to be pretty cross that I was in his field. The younger ones, still complete ones, were increasingly agitated by the leader's crossness. For a while much scraping at the dirt and tossing dust and heads and snorting. I covered my face with my silly flying hat to prevent there being eyes for them to focus on -- and eventually they wandered off.
Most "interesting" landout ever for all sorts of other reasons. Glad it will never be repeated,