RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

Old December 5th 16, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_3_]

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 8:21:48 AM UTC-5, ND wrote:
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 7:26:30 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
Terrible loss, absolutely shocking. Balleka's Youtube videos were the best.

they still are the best! and although we've lost him, he lives on through his videos, you can still see his happiness through the canopy while gliding. His videos still serve as an awesome example of why we do this,and why more people should.

i agree, a terrible loss.

Great pilot, extraordinary artist. Many of us have been touched by his work. Really sad.
Old December 5th 16, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

I'm really sad to learn about Matt's death. I've enjoyed many, many hours watching his wonderful videos. I'll miss his infectious laugh and love of life. I wish his family all the best. RIP, Matt.

-John, Q3

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 5:54:30 AM UTC-5, Stephan van den Berg wrote:
Dreadful news coming from the UK today. Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube) was tragically killed in a mid-air whilst flying his glider this weekend. I believe he collided with a power plane.

I'm sure we have all watched some of Matt's videos on YouTube over and over. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Balleka and the Flying Shark

Old December 5th 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Holy ****. Stunned.
Old December 5th 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 3:44:11 PM UTC+3, Stephan van den Berg wrote:
Hi, to correct my initial post, I've been informed that Matt was not involved in the mid-air. This from the BGA:

"Two experienced glider pilots tragically died on Sunday in two separate accidents; a collision involving a glider and an aeroplane, and separately a takeoff accident. Our thoughts are with friends and family. The AAIB are investigating."

RIP to both aviators. Sympathies to family and friends.

Takeoff accident! It's not what I'd be afraid of for Matt. And such an experienced pilot, obviously with the commercial flying in heavy jets too.
Old December 5th 16, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This is so tragic. Matt was a huge inspiration to so many including myself. My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace my friend.
Old December 5th 16, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRx9uNUNer8
Old December 5th 16, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Oh this is terrible news. Matt's videos were the ones I showed to friends who are interested in gliding.

My condolences to family, friends, and the soaring community.

Jon

Old December 5th 16, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

I also enjoyed his many videos. He shared a great passion for soaring with the world on YouTube. He effortlessly made his flights look as fun on video as they actually were for him (very hard to do).

I also loved the music he used in his videos. I think great music is very important to soaring videos. I often downloaded the songs he used on iTunes after watching his video ;-). Great taste!

Sincere thoughts for Matt's family and friends.

I'll watch his videos for many, many years I imagine! Thanks Matt!

Sean
Old December 6th 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

"Because I fly
I laugh more than other men
I look up and see more than they,
I know how the clouds feel,
What it's like to have the blue in my lap,
to look down on birds,
to feel freedom in a thing called a stick...

who but I can slice between God's billowed legs,
and feel then laugh and crash with his step
Who else has seen the unclimbed peaks?
The rainbow's secret?
The real reason birds sing?
Because I Fly,
I envy no man on earth."

Grover C. Norwood
Old December 6th 16, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A Facebook post I saw said it was a winch launching accident. Condolences to the family.