Unintentional fully-developed spins...

Old February 11th 04, 12:20 AM
John Firth

Chris OCallaghan ) writes:
I was taking issue with an oversimplification, one you made for the
sake of convenience, I'm sure. Pet peeve of mine.

In an earlier thread on slips, I asked whether anyone had thought
through the notion of using a slip (dihedral rolling moment)to
counteract the overbanking tendency . I didn't note any responses,
though it might prove interesting to develop the idea in the context
of this thread.

I think experienced contest pilots have been doing this for a long time;
in '74 in Oz, I found in the first practice days that the Std Cirrus was
outclimbing my Libelle quite depressingly; I was used to flying string in
the middle.
First action, was to get the CG on the aft limit with lead; removed the
tail down force and the control surface drag; then to counter the sprial
instability and keep the flow attached at the inner wing root, I used
slip and was able to leave the ailerons nearly neutral; climbed with
the Cirrus just fine and when they had full water, i could go up the inside.
winglets now change the whole thing; you must keep the string in the middle
or one winglet stalls.
John Firth
Old but no longer bold pilot.
Dodging the math, I'll also add that a few extra knots while circling
gives a great deal more aileron and rudder authority. Since smooth,
elevator cores are the exception rather than the rule, the more
effective your controls, the quicker you can correct for or take
advantage of turbulence, then get the controls streamlined (or as
close a practical) to minimize drag. The lower the speed, the greater
the drag for a given control input, and the longer you'll have to
leave it in to achieve the desired change in direction.

Cheers,

Chris

--

What is the meaning of life? Life is trial by computer
Old February 12th 04, 01:29 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Mark James Boyd wrote:
In the US, "calage" is where I would go to learn math and franch,
and how to spell patato.

Took some time to understand this. I presume you pronounce "calage"
in the same way as "college", which is far from the way it is pronounced
in France.
Old February 12th 04, 05:52 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Robert Ehrlich wrote:
Mark James Boyd wrote:
In the US, "calage" is where I would go to learn math and franch,
and how to spell patato.

Took some time to understand this. I presume you pronounce "calage"
in the same way as "college", which is far from the way it is pronounced
in France.

Makes it even funier, no? :P

Spin Training Captain Wubba Piloting 25 April 12th 04 02:11 PM
Cessna 150 Price Outlook Charles Talleyrand Owning 80 October 16th 03 02:18 PM