contest number question

Old November 14th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Default contest number question

I haven't even looked, but I'm guessing there is still a requirement in
the contest "rules" to have contest numbers under the wing, etc.

I'm thinking of removing my under wing contest number and not replacing
it - is anyone aware of any contest where not having a contest number
under the wing has been an issue? With GPS scoring, I'm betting this is
a moot point.

TIA

Gary
Old November 14th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 14, 6:42 am, Gary Emerson wrote:
I haven't even looked, but I'm guessing there is still a requirement in
the contest "rules" to have contest numbers under the wing, etc.

I'm thinking of removing my under wing contest number and not replacing
it - is anyone aware of any contest where not having a contest number
under the wing has been an issue? With GPS scoring, I'm betting this is
a moot point.

TIA

Gary

How will the pilot below you trying to make a safety call to you
identify you?
It is not needed for start identification, but there are safety
implications.
The CD has a right to require you to have your number under the wing.
The
most recent I recall was at the Sports Nats last year.
Cheers UH

Old November 14th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Nov 14, 6:42 am, Gary Emerson wrote:
I haven't even looked, but I'm guessing there is still a requirement in
the contest "rules" to have contest numbers under the wing, etc.

I'm thinking of removing my under wing contest number and not replacing
it - is anyone aware of any contest where not having a contest number
under the wing has been an issue? With GPS scoring, I'm betting this is
a moot point.

TIA

Gary

It still is in the US rules, I just checked.

It obviously is not needed for scoring, but it is useful for safety
call on the radio. From some positions, it's hard to read the tail
markings, but possible to read the wing markings.

Todd Smith
3S

Old November 14th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Nov 14, 4:42 am, Gary Emerson wrote:
I haven't even looked, but I'm guessing there is still a requirement in
the contest "rules" to have contest numbers under the wing, etc.

I'm thinking of removing my under wing contest number and not replacing
it - is anyone aware of any contest where not having a contest number
under the wing has been an issue? With GPS scoring, I'm betting this is
a moot point.

TIA

Gary

At Region 9 in Parowan last year, the CD penalized several violators
of this rule on safety grounds. In a gaggle, you need to know who's
above you. Some creative mods were made with insulating tape.

Mike

Old November 14th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

I got caught at Parowan this year, also. my defense was; "Everybody
knows who's flying the only Genesis in this contest". That didn't work
and I was forced to put on numbers using a Crayon. Another guy put his
numbers on using wing tape...........................White wing tape!
Probably not a bad rule except for a couple of glaring problems. If
the numbers are there purely for recognition in a gaggle, shouldn't
they be oriented to be read from the rear, not from the front? Also,
we can only identify those above us in a gaggle, how do we identify
those below us?...........................lets not go there, I used up
all my Crayons!
JJ

Old November 14th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Nov 14, 10:52 am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I got caught at Parowan this year, also. my defense was; "Everybody
knows who's flying the only Genesis in this contest". That didn't work
and I was forced to put on numbers using a Crayon. Another guy put his
numbers on using wing tape...........................White wing tape!
Probably not a bad rule except for a couple of glaring problems. If
the numbers are there purely for recognition in a gaggle, shouldn't
they be oriented to be read from the rear, not from the front? Also,
we can only identify those above us in a gaggle, how do we identify
those below us?...........................lets not go there, I used up
all my Crayons!
JJ

If I am directly above another glider, I won't be able to see any
markings, but if I am above and to the side, I can see the tail.
It's when directly below (bad place to be, I know) that I can't see
the tail ID, but can see the wing.

Also, people shouldn't be using fancy fonts that make the ID
unreadable.

Todd
3S

Old November 14th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Gary Emerson wrote:
I haven't even looked, but I'm guessing there is still a requirement in
the contest "rules" to have contest numbers under the wing, etc.

Gary

I appreciate being able to radio-call the fella over there who doesn't appear
to see me.

Old November 14th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Why would you call the other pilot if you see him?
There are only limited circumstances in which a call is appropriate.
I never could under stand why one would make a call
if the calling pilot is in a 180 degree cone behind the pilot.
If you feel under thread from that pilot do not go near him.
I can not stand it when a call is made "I am passing from behind
overhead"
or similar announcements when it is clear that pilot is showing poor
judgment.
Udo

Old November 14th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Gary Emerson wrote:
I haven't even looked, but I'm guessing there is still a requirement in
the contest "rules" to have contest numbers under the wing, etc.

Gary

I appreciate being able to radio-call the fella over there who doesn't appear
to see me.

Udo,

How about the following. Closing (slowly) on the guy in front of you
on the ridge. You need to pass below/inside but doing this means
that you will lose sight of him shortly after passing. I'd sure like
the guy to know what's about to happen so he doesn't choose that
moment to push it closer to the trees. It takes what seems like an
eternity to get clear in that situation. In that case, what would be
nice to hear is:

P3: "Alpha Bravo, Papa 3 is passing you on the inside low"
AB: "Click-click" or "Alpha Bravo" or "Alpha Bravo roger" or "I've
got you; you're clear"

Old November 14th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J a c k[_2_]

Udo wrote:

Why would you call the other pilot if you see him?
There are only limited circumstances in which a call is appropriate.
I never could under stand why one would make a call
if the calling pilot is in a 180 degree cone behind the pilot.
If you feel under thread from that pilot do not go near him.
I can not stand it when a call is made "I am passing from behind
overhead" or similar announcements when it is clear that pilot is showing poor
judgment.

I prefer to stay out of the potential maneuvering area of another ship.
When I cannot do that I want him to know where I am, because there are
positions from which an abrupt maneuver by another ship will make a
collision nearly unavoidable. He may be less likely to begin a four-g
push than an abrupt pull-up, but you never really know.

There are other things to watch in the sky which may cause him to
maneuver abruptly in ways I do not anticipate and this may complicate my
avoidance of those other hazards.

The possible scenarios are too numerous to bother with here, but I see
no reason not to share knowledge that can enhance safety.

The fact that radio procedures are normally too informal and
undisciplined is a different problem. It does not justify reluctance to
trade useful information.

Jack