Buzzed?

Old April 18th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Buzzed?

In a previous article, "Matt Barrow" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Matt Barrow" said:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...17X00210&key=1

"One witness, located at the golf course indicated that he saw the
airplane make a 65-degree bank"

Not 60 degrees, not 70 degrees, but 65. Did he have a protractor with
him?

Damn good eyesight?

I could have used him when I worked on a survey crew.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
---------------- hit any user to continue ----------------
Old April 19th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

On 2006-04-17, Mike Granby wrote:
So I'm flying IFR down V441 in Florida today, when I hear the
controller who's working me call traffic to a VFR airplane he's
providing with advisories.

Totally unrelated - but about 2 years ago, a friend of mine was flying
home (in a club C172) when the military controller he was getting radar
service off advised him of 'fast traffic' (a Tornado) that was passing
by. My friend made a sarcastic comment to the controller about the fast
traffic (I think the Tornado in question was flying relatively slowly).

A few minutes later, the C172 started rumbling. My friend started
looking around to see what could be making that sound when the planform
of a Tornado appeared in the windscreen, afterburners fully open!

That taught him about making sarcastic comments about fast military jets
to military controllers :-)

Reminds me of a story I read about the folks having their groundspeeds
checked by ATC as a bragging right...until the SR-71 at altitude
requested the same thing. Heh.

Richard
Old April 19th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Calibrated eyeball, the left one... try it, keep UR tongue in the
right side of UR mouth...

Dave

Old April 19th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

....and don't tug on Superman's cape, don't spit into the wind...

There is a song there someplace....

Dave

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:08:50 -0000, Dylan Smith

Old April 19th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Matt Barrow" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Matt Barrow" said:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...17X00210&key=1

"One witness, located at the golf course indicated that he saw the
airplane make a 65-degree bank"

Not 60 degrees, not 70 degrees, but 65. Did he have a protractor with
him?

Damn good eyesight?

I could have used him when I worked on a survey crew.

Kinda like the (very) old Johnny Badmouth joke, "Okay, just a c*#% hair to
the right...".

--
Matt
---------------------

Old April 19th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Richard wrote in news:NMadnRPeD6Y3CtjZRVn-
:

Dylan Smith wrote:
On 2006-04-17, Mike Granby wrote:
[...]

That's from the book "Sled Driver" by Brian Shul. He recounts a
succession of requests for ground speed readouts progressing from a Cessna
to a Twin Beech to an F-18 and finally the "Sled".

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old April 19th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Richard wrote:
Dylan Smith wrote:
On 2006-04-17, Mike Granby wrote:
[...]

At the other extreme, I heard a story about a flight
from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area heading west IFR
one night for somewhere in the Dakotas. They'd been
in the air for about half an hour when the controller
informed them that their groundspeed was about 10 MPH
and asked their intentions. The pilot decided make
the flight another day.

[Wouldn't the MTI suppress the target? But let's not
let facts interfere with the telling of a good story.]
Old April 19th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

On 2006-04-19, Everett M. Greene wrote:
At the other extreme, I heard a story about a flight
from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area heading west IFR
one night for somewhere in the Dakotas.

[...]
[Wouldn't the MTI suppress the target? But let's not
let facts interfere with the telling of a good story.]

Presumably not because they were not a passive radar target, but had a
Mode-C squawk - he was IFR after all. (If ATC radar supressed slow
targets with a Mode-C squawk, they'd have difficulty handling
helicopters)

Old April 20th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Hmm.

I was "intercepted" Tuesday around Fort Wayne.

I was IFR, and got a traffic alert for a VFR target indicating 500 feet
higher. I got a glimpse of him as he passed behind me.

Then the controller told me that he was at my 7 o'clock, turning to
follow me. I looked around and saw his nose pointing right at me.

He contined to chase me - in my blind spot, above my back window.
Jerk.

I descended, and finally caught sight of him again just ahead and over
my right wing. I couldn't see his registration number.

He finally turned right and away. I was 99% sure he had me in sight
the whole time, but that's 1 percent short of acceptable.

Old April 20th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote

He contined to chase me - in my blind spot, above my back window.
Jerk.

The sad part is that he probably didn't see a thing wrong with what he was
doing. After all, he was just seeing whose plane was faster, right? ;-(
--
Jim in NC

Buzzed? Mike Granby Piloting 81 April 28th 06 12:35 AM
A4 just buzzed Mangere Airport Jeremy Thomson Military Aviation 3 July 10th 03 04:27 PM