2003 Fleet Week ground transportation questions

Old August 10th 03, 11:59 AM
Guy Alcala

Default 2003 Fleet Week ground transportation questions

Roger Smith wrote:

FINALLY! I have got things scheduled to go to Fleet Week!

We are going to be staying at the Anthony Chabot park in our Airstream. We
can pickup BART at the Castro Valley station and go under the bay.

What is the recommendation for Muni to get to the Marina?

http://www.sfmuni.com/home/home50.htm

and click on the downtown map, which will show you the bus routes. The F is the
most direct, as it runs along the Embarcadero from the Bart station to Fisherman's
Wharf.

Personally, if you can bring a bike along I recommend you hop on BART with that, get
off at Embarcadero station and ride along the Embarcadero to wherever you choose to
watch (bring a good lock). It's far faster to get back to BART afterwards than
trying to take a car or probably public transit, as traffic is usually backed up for
hours. Or you can walk from the station, which is probably still faster than riding
transit, and the walk is nice, if a bit long (say an hour from Fisherman's Wharf
back downtown). I sometimes walk out via the Embarcadero, then walk back along
Columbus (thru North Beach/Chinatown) or vice versa. It's a great walking/biking
city, if lousy for cars. Whatever you do, take a windbreaker at least. While it's
often Indian Summer and quite hot, it can also be the typically cool, foggy, breezy
San Francisco summer day. If you're family's going to be in town and you're flush,
you might as well arrange to meet them somewhere and have dinner while the crowds
thin a bit. On the other hand, if you've got a bike that might be awkward if you're
not meeting them back downtown and you all plan to ride a bus back to BART, as not
all bus lines have bike racks. Check

http://www.sfmuni.com/rider/ridetips.htm#bicycles

for info.

Also where at the
Marina is the best viewing? I will endeavor to get there early. My other
family members will be doing touristy type stuff.

All depends if you want to be at show center or closer out at the ends. I prefer
the latter having seen the show many times, and like to be at the west end of the
Marina out on the end of the municipal pier that encircles the Aquatic Park (past
the St. Francis Yacht Club), as one of the solo a/c tends to pass directly overhead
fairly low after many of the opposing passes, and the diamond does too
occasionally. You don't want to go any further west (you'd be heading into Fort
Mason, with relatively poor views). If the ships at Hyde Street Pier are open,
getting out on the upper deck of the ferry Eureka or on the Balclutha would probably
give you an excellent view closer to show center, which IIRR is just east of the
base of Hyde Street. There are usually VIP bleachers set up there, so you'll be in
no doubt where show center is. I've also been at the other end, out at the end of
one of the piers that was open (can't remember which, but in the 40s). Another
option if you've got money to burn is the following, which I've never done but would
like to:

http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org/oct_form_2003.jpg

There are numerous other (and usually less expensive) cruises on the bay during the
performance, and the change in perspective would be nice.

HTH,

Guy