"The doomsday plane

Old September 16th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default "The doomsday plane

Richard Riley wrote in
:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:08:55 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote in
m:

mike Z writes:

Picture of an E-4B being tested in an EMP generator (test facility).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:E..._command_post_
EMP_sim.jpg

Interesting. I see what looks like fuel being loaded into the
aircraft. I wonder if they tried testing the EMP while the fuel was
being taken on.

You're an idiot.

Bertie

That's unfair to idiots.

I know, I'd call him a tit, but I like tits.

Bertie
Old September 16th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

writes:

Real aircraft don't fuel from the wing tips.

Yes, that's what I thought. So what is it?

Told you, it's the USB port

Bertie
Old September 16th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Leadfoot writes:

Ground hydraulic units use green hoses

Perhaps that is it, then.

But I've never seen one hooked up near the wing tip on a 747.
Usually you use the hydrualic servicing panel in the gear wheel well.

That's what I would expect,

No it isn't. you don't know anything about airplanes.

so it was puzzling.

You find your own navel puzzling, so what's new there?

Bertie

Old September 16th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
JasiekS

Uzytkownik "John Keeney" napisal w wiadomosci
ups.com...

I'm talking about the flexible green conduit that appears to be

connected to
the wing near its tip.

Ah, I was wondering. Not sure what that is but definitly not for
adding fuel to the plane.

It could be grounding or connection of all the transducers packed into
the fuselage. Do you think that scientist will stay away and wait until
airframe vapourised?

--
JasiekS
Warsaw, Poland

Old September 17th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Leadfoot[_2_]

"KENG" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Real aircraft don't fuel from the wing tips.

Yes, that's what I thought. So what is it?

Earth Ground maybe.

Earth ground wires dor aircraft would be barely visible in that picture.
I'm guessing but maybe 12 gauge wire?

KenG

Old September 18th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-09-13 18:53:12 -0700, said:

On Sep 13, 6:14?pm, wrote:
On Sep 13, 4:44 pm, "Gatt" wrote:

CNN article on "The Doomsday Plane"

Cool.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...tery.plane.CNN

-c

Seems pretty clear that it was an E4 called on alert by NORAD. What
is so surprising about that?

I've always wondered how EMP-hardened these aircraft are in case of
outright nuclear exchanges and deliberate EMP air bursts. If not, they
will be falling out of the sky just like their F-15 escorts.

ZXY

One would expect that the E-4 is TEMPEST hardened.

It is not true, BTW, that an EMP will knock out all electronic
circuitry. One reason the Soviets held on to vacuum tube technology for
so long was that it was more resistant to EMP attacks. There are better
methods available now, however. In any event, "Goldeneye" is Hollywood
fiction. In the event of an actual attack, any self-respecting Russian
interceptor is going to keep flying.

For a look at the unclassified things that can be done to protect
against EMP, see this link:

http://jya.com/emp.htm

Of course, that is just the unclassified stuff. I would not be so quick
to write off the F-15 escorts, either.

There is no reason you could not protect your home and computers
against EMP using the data in the link. Heck, you can buy TEMPEST
hardened laptop computers. You never know when you might need them. :-)
(Seriously, most of the TEMPEST stuff available for sale to the public
is hardened at a somewhat lower level than what you would expect in an
E-4. The lowest level of TEMPEST protects against someone reading your
keystrokes on your machine and stuff like that, not EMP.)

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 19th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

C J Campbell writes:

There is no reason you could not protect your home and computers
against EMP using the data in the link. Heck, you can buy TEMPEST
hardened laptop computers.

TEMPEST and EMP protection are not synonymous.
Old September 19th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Matthews

Yeff wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:44:34 -0700, Gatt wrote:

CNN article on "The Doomsday Plane"

Cool.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...tery.plane.CNN

Someone should knee-cap the producer of the segment...

Why don't you do it? Stance too wide?

==bob