Refinishing a Wood Prop

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 31st 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

Default Refinishing a Wood Prop

I've noticed that my prop is beginning to show signs of wear -chips in the
leading edge, and cracks in the clear finish. Given that I'm having shoulder
surgery in a couple of weeks (and probably won't be up to flying until the
arm is substantially healed), I should have some time on my hands to
refinish the prop.

My plan is to remove the existing finish by sanding with ~220 grit
sandpaper, then to use epoxy (with cabosil?) to fill any dents, etc, and
sand/scrape the repaired areas back to the appropriate profile. Also, I
plan on doing some repair work to the leading edge which is an epoxy based
product. On the leading edge, I'll probably grind into any damaged areas,
then fill with one of the putty type epoxies and sand/scrape to the correct
profile, finishing with a very fine sandpaper.

Finally, I'll check the balance of the prop before finishing, and adjust
balance by either a little more sanding on the heavy blade or an extra coat
or two of urethane on the light blade.

What steps have I missed, and are there any fine points I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle