Mid Life Crisis gift to myself, Pilot Training

Old April 12th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

Default Mid Life Crisis gift to myself, Pilot Training

I'm 48, and time to have me som fun...
Been flying as a passenger since I was 8 months, have had 102 flights on
commercial flights that I can recall ...
Have flown Schweizer 232 sailplanes, and Cessna 172's (not take off or
landings.)
Have played with MS Flight Sim since 1995, and probably have logged over 400
hours of flight on that game....the new ATC versions make it more fun.

I understand flight theory and dynamics, and have felt at home and at ease
while behind the yoke or stick while in the 172 and 232's.

So I looked at flight training, and here west of Toronto at the Guelph
airport, it's about $4500 allowing me to carry one passenger, $7500 to carry
multiple passengers, or $8500 (plus 200 hrs @ $125/hr) for commercial
pilot...(all in Canadian $$$)

So I have time, might as well go for the commercial licence, and have me
some fun...not that it will get me a job by the time I'm done (I'll be 51 -
52 by my training timeline).

Never too late, and since having sex with Jeannie (Barbara Eden) is out of
the question (Hey, she's still hot for 72), I might as well fulfill anpother
dream, eh?

Old April 13th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

Har,
I certainly don't want to tell you what to do, but here is an
observation. $8500 is a LOT of money. You could certainly use it to get your
commercial license, but I am wondering how useful a commercial license will
be to you. The whole purpose of getting a commercial license is to get a job
with a commercial carrier. Even though you may have a commercial license,
most carriers will not hire anyone who does not have a minimum number of
hours logged IN ADDITION to the minimum numer of hours logged for your
commercial license. This is because of insurance liability. Most commerial
carrier require at least 300 hours or more above the minimum that it takes
for your commercial ticket. By the time that you get your commericial
license, AND the minimum hours logged for insurance coverage, you may well
be in your mid to late 50's. Unfortunately there are not very many carriers
that will hire someone in this age range. I'm not saying you shouldn't do
it, but I'm just wondering if that $8500 could be better used to perhaps
purchase an airplane of your own. You might do a little investigating before
you plunk down a lot of money on a commercial rating, and see just what the
minimum requirements are for employment with a commercial carrier. It's just
something to think about.

Randy L.
--
"When making an emergency off-field landing at night, turn
on the landing lights just prior to touchdown. If you don't

.. .

Old April 13th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

(flight-sim newsgroup trimmed)

"RandyL" wrote in message
Har,
I certainly don't want to tell you what to do, but here is an
observation. $8500 is a LOT of money. You could certainly use it to get
your commercial license, but I am wondering how useful a commercial
license will be to you.

Note that in his case, the difference between the Commercial and the
"Multi-passenger" (must be some Canadian thing) is only $1000 CDN.

The whole purpose of getting a commercial license is to get a job with a
commercial carrier.

"The whole purpose"? Not even close.

Yes, many commercially certificated pilots want a job with a commercial
carrier. But there are a lot of jobs involving commercial certification
that don't involve a commercial carrier, most of which are not subject to
the mandatory retirement at 60 rule. Beyond that, many pilots get their
commercial certification without any intention of ever flying for hire.

[...] I'm just wondering if that $8500 could be better used to perhaps
purchase an airplane of your own.

If he spends $8500 on a new airplane (and by the way, $8500 CDN, doesn't get
you much of an airplane...that's ultralight territory, tops...it's not even
enough for a 1/4 share of a Cessna 172).

You might do a little investigating before you plunk down a lot of money
on a commercial rating, and see just what the minimum requirements are for
employment with a commercial carrier. It's just something to think about.

If he has no intention of being employed with a commercial carrier, then the
minimum requirements for doing so are irrelevant. He may have other,
entirely valid, reasons for wanting a Commercial certificate.

Pete

Old April 13th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

I want to do it because it's something that I can be proud of, something I
accomplished.
And all for the price of a new SUV....which will turn to rust in 10 years...

Old April 13th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

If you want something to be proud of, reachable, and get a return on your
investment, consider getting your Instructors certificate as well.

Old April 13th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

Captain Ken wrote:
I know what you mean, - GO FOR IT - good luck, have a ball!

The OP asking us if he should learn how to fly is like asking a dog if
it's hungry. G

Good luck, and keep us up to date.
Old April 13th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

"H" == "HarDeeHarHar" writes:

I agree with you in a lot of what you are saying.

The first arguement put against you was valid, but here is another
thing for you to think about:

Get flying with passangers (though why I don't know - there is a
story there but doesn't matter).

This will cost you less.

Use the difference to subsidize flying with "GA" aircraft for longer.

So you pay $4500 and have $4000 left.

That is a lot of hours flying.

Now going to what I was saying about "PAX".

Here's what I see:

YOU want to fly.

That said, you fly where you want, and pretty much when you want.

Having people (one is bad enough) complaining about where they want
to go, but many people all wanting to go somewhere? You can only fly
ONE plane at any one time.

Unless they are all pilots or plane buffs, taking people around can
get annoying.

They NAG at you and say some of the most stupid things at the most
un-appropriate times.

When you are listening to ATC and they are talking over then you
nearly want to throw them out - because you told them before you took
off to shut up when ATC is talking.

H I want to do it because it's something that I can be proud of,
H something I accomplished. And all for the price of a new
H SUV....which will turn to rust in 10 years...
--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

Old April 13th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

HarDeeHarHar wrote:
I want to do it because it's something that I can be proud of, something I
accomplished.
And all for the price of a new SUV....which will turn to rust in 10 years...

Then, by all means GO FOR IT! I too intend to work through and get my
commercial (US) and then my CFI. With my proposed schedule it'd be just
about retirement time for me and would give me part time job AND let me
share aviation.

Good Luck!!
Chris