camcorder recording Cessna intercom audio question

Old November 14th 04, 11:37 PM
Marty from Sunny Florida

Default camcorder recording Cessna intercom audio question

Help!

I tried recording the Nav/Com audio to my Sony camcorder in a c172. The gain
is so high it just sounds like saturated noise. I basically wired from the
co-pilot's headset jack a cable to the sony 'mic in' jack. Has anyone here
successfully recorded a flight with clean audio, and if so, how ?

Thanks,
Marty from Sunny South Florida

Old November 15th 04, 01:56 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Steve Foley wrote:

"Marty from Sunny Florida" wrote:
I tried recording the Nav/Com audio to my Sony camcorder in a c172.

Stuff a mike inside your headset.

You might consider padding the connection with a 300 ohm resistor (Radio
Shack used to sell a padded inline mini jack cable), or simply turn down
the intercom volume and adjust your headset to full volume. I use a
portable MP3 recorder and no padding was required...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=42%2D2152

The cable above will require an adapter for plugging into a headphone
jack, if you don't have a Record Out one...
Old November 15th 04, 02:25 AM
NW_PILOT

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Stuff a mike inside your headset.

"Marty from Sunny Florida" wrote in message
Help!

I tried recording the Nav/Com audio to my Sony camcorder in a c172. The

gain
is so high it just sounds like saturated noise. I basically wired from

the
co-pilot's headset jack a cable to the sony 'mic in' jack. Has anyone

here
successfully recorded a flight with clean audio, and if so, how ?

Thanks,
Marty from Sunny South Florida

I use the record out on my intercom to my mini dv works very well.

Old November 15th 04, 03:26 AM
Newps

I did with a Sony camcorder and a cord from Radio Shack plugged into the
mic in jack on the camera. Works like a charm.

Old November 15th 04, 03:28 AM
Newps

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

Steve Foley wrote:

"Marty from Sunny Florida" wrote:

I tried recording the Nav/Com audio to my Sony camcorder in a c172.

Stuff a mike inside your headset.

You might consider padding the connection with a 300 ohm resistor (Radio
Shack used to sell a padded inline mini jack cable), or simply turn down
the intercom volume and adjust your headset to full volume.

Intercom volume has no bearing on the radio volume. They should be
wired up to be separate. The basic rule of thumb is to have the headset
volume turned up all the way, then adjust the radio volume knob and the
intercom volume to suit.

Old November 15th 04, 05:57 AM
Bart D. Hull

Marty,

We taped a video on ELT direction finding when I was in Civil Air Patrol
and got super clear audio. I used a headset converter that you use if
you are using home audio headsets in a plane. (I believe they are
available from Sporty's) It looked like a 35mm plastic film can with a
male plug on one end and a female on the other. I used a 1/4 to 1/8
adapter and then ran it to a old RCA VHS video recorder. I used a tripod
to stabilize the camera between the front seats so we could get a shot
of the ELT equipment.

This worked so good that we did it on one take and had crystal clear
audio of the faintest ELT whelp. Both pilots spoke on the intercom as
well and did not overload the audio.

Just my 2 cents.

Bart
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Old November 15th 04, 04:26 PM
Jim Weir

Two choices...

1. Instead of going to the "mic in" jack on the Sony, go to the
"line in" jack if there is one... or ...

2. Run a 100kohm resistor in series with the line between the phones jack and
the mic in jack with a 10kohm resistor to ground from the mic in jack. If it is
still too loud, diddle (that's a term for heuristic engineering) with the 10k
resistor down in value until it comes out clear.

aircraft phones jack --------100k--------------sony mic jack

10k

ground

Jim

"Marty from Sunny Florida"

-Help!
-

http://www.rst-engr.com

intercom question GE Owning 4 July 14th 04 05:40 PM
ARC Cessna 328 Aux Audio Inputs N7155A Owning 2 April 21st 04 09:25 PM
Cessna 172A Question MRQB Owning 9 February 6th 04 08:46 PM
Intercom Audio Input and Satellite Radio John Golovich Owning 5 August 7th 03 10:00 AM