Google Glass in the cockpit?

Old May 26th 13, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Google Glass in the cockpit?

This is funny, but it gives a good idea of the Google Glass point of view.

http://mashable.com/2013/05/25/googl...-photographer/

Will we all want to be wearing these in the cockpit three years from now?

Not shown is the ability to interact through voice commands and receive information via a synthetic voice. That seems to have potential above the sunlight readable display angle.

Anyone working on an XCSoar port to Google Glass?
Old May 26th 13, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
quietpilot

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 2:26:10 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
This is funny, but it gives a good idea of the Google Glass point of view.. http://mashable.com/2013/05/25/googl...-photographer/ Will we all want to be wearing these in the cockpit three years from now? Not shown is the ability to interact through voice commands and receive information via a synthetic voice. That seems to have potential above the sunlight readable display angle. Anyone working on an XCSoar port to Google Glass?

http://xkcd.com/1215/
https://support.google.com/glass/answer/3064128?hl=en

as for a port. glass uses android and a companion app. so it may not be difficult to run. but may have some interaction isses. perhaps that bluetooth mouse ring listed before mght help.

QP
Old May 26th 13, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tobias Bieniek

the issue with the Google Glass device is that its functions are limited when offline, and in the air you are always more or less offline. for live tracking with xcsoar the connection might just be good enough, but usually not for transmitting voice in either direction. unless the price of the device drops significantly I don't see a benefit in having Glass support in XCSoar. but since it is open source anyone is free to contribute
Old May 27th 13, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
folken

Let my mind run free for a minute he

Since the thing has no headtracker, very little augmented reality is possible.

Which info would i need at my fingertipps most closley?
* Airspeed
* Climb Rate
* Thermal Assitant
* Course to next waypoint
* Airspace alerts

So far pretty standard.

Realistic:

Checklists would also be interesting. Imagine: Glass: Checklist landing
* Wind? Check
* Approach Speed? Check
* Clear Runway? Check

Voice Commands,
* glass next waypoint
* glass fly to
* glass abort task
So instead of fiddleing with the pda, you could talk to it freeing up your hands, and keeping your vision outside.

With an attached Headtracker that has a relation to the cockpit
* Directional arrow that indicated a flarm/ target
* Collision warning With directional arrow
* Overlay of flarm tracks
* Overlay of your own tracks
* Thermal assistant in a 2d plane in realtion to the glider
* Visualize thermals

Imagine looking at an airport, and seeing the name, runway directions, frequencies floating in midair over it.

Imagine RASP Blipmaps as overlay on the terrain your flying over. Imagine potential lift calculated from sun/wind.

Imagine a distance measuring tool that just by looking at a far away landmark tells you distance, height required etc.

Some things i would be concerned about:
* How much does it impede my view?
* Does it limit peripherial vision?
* Does it destract?
* What does the semi transparent do to the displayed map?
* How is the focus?
* Can i comfortably wear it with my sunglasses?
* Can glass be mounted on the left instead? Right hand flying left hand operate glass.

So much for dreaming.

- Folken

Old May 27th 13, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Yep so much for dreaming. From some brief playing and knowing several developers playing with these...

The glass display is quite difficult to read in full-daylight. It often works well in a car if you have a roof over your head. In bright direct sunlight it is very washed out.

Battery life can be very limited, very dependent on application/usage. You'd need a power connection or external battery pack for long flights.

The display is far from immersive. It's a small display in the top of your viewing area. See the simulation in the Google promo video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uyQZNg2vE So kind of big enough to display basic info, not too big to be ultra distracting.

What is interesting is for many different uses how Google and others have condensed information into such as small display and made it very useful.

What could you display for a glider? Vario, STF, L/D required, distance/direction to a turnpoint, (in PDA/PNA parlance you'd probably only display one two or three "nav boxes" of data) look up frequencies for an airport/ATC etc. simple stuff like that.

As pointed others have pointed out without head tracking things like direction to... type information is not that interesting. With head tracking, better daylight visibility (and maybe a larger display) you might potentially be able to do much more interesting things like direction/distance to a collision threat/buddy/turnpoint/airport etc.

Swiping the side of the glass' trackpad sometimes is annoying, requires a few tries. I think its a much worse UI device in a cramped cockpit than buttons/switches/trackball on a joystick.

Voice commands could be interesting but I'd like to see them integrated into the flight computer. Maybe as a thin UI layer to a flight computer/PDA/PNA glass could provide that, but it may be a lot of hassle to go though just to get that. You might as well run that on more modern PNA/PDAs.

So all in all, I think there really is not something here to excited about, at least for quite a while. There are many more practical/interesting real-world applications for glass.

Darryl
Old May 27th 13, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 11:15:44 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Agreed. It's not yet clear what, if any, role Google Glass has in the consumer space much less what it might be adapted to in gliders.

However, it's worth thinking about what more advanced devices might do for us in the future. What I think we want is a true Augmented Reality device which overlay's our visual field with tightly registered and highly pertinent data. That means data about an airport off the left wing wouldn't be visible until we looked at the airport. Voice commands, or stick switches, could further limit and control the data displayed. One switch might display navigation data - where are airports? Airspace? Another switch might display soaring data - Cloudbase? Likely thermal sites? Blipmaps?

A more futuristic aspect ties back to another thread on attitude displays. If VR technology can display a perfect POV replica of the real world, including air traffic, would there be any real difference between flight in VMC and IMC? And, if that distinction goes away, will contest rules have to change?

OTOH, I don't necessarily disagree with the anti-tech crowd. It might be fun to have a low performance contest where no instruments beyond those on the glider's MEL are allowed.
Old May 27th 13, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Surely this device should be a complete non-starter in a glider
cockpit as it give a fixed blind spot in the right lateral visual
field.

wrote:
Yep so much for dreaming. From some brief playing and

knowing several
dev=
elopers playing with these...
=20
=20
=20
[...]

w.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dv1uyQZNg2vE So kind of big

enough to display basic
=
[...]

etc. simple stuff like that.=20
=20
=20
=20
As pointed others have pointed out without head tracking

things like
dire=
ction to... type information is not that interesting. With head

tracking,
b=
etter daylight visibility (and maybe a larger display) you might
potentiall=
y be able to do much more interesting things like

direction/distance to a
c=
ollision threat/buddy/turnpoint/airport etc.=20
=20
=20
=20
Swiping the side of the glass' trackpad sometimes is

annoying, requires
a=
few tries. I think its a much worse UI device in a cramped

cockpit than
bu=
ttons/switches/trackball on a joystick.=20
=20
=20
=20
Voice commands could be interesting but I'd like to see

them integrated
i=
nto the flight computer. Maybe as a thin UI layer to a flight
computer/PDA/=
PNA glass could provide that, but it may be a lot of hassle to

go though
ju=
st to get that. You might as well run that on more modern

PNA/PDAs.=20
=20
=20
=20
So all in all, I think there really is not something here to

excited
abou=
t, at least for quite a while. There are many more

practical/interesting
re=
al-world applications for glass.=20
=20
=20
=20

Old May 27th 13, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Monday, May 27, 2013 8:23:07 AM UTC-6, John Galloway wrote:
Surely this device should be a complete non-starter in a glider

cockpit as it give a fixed blind spot in the right lateral visual

field.

Nope, It's a "see-through" display.
Old May 27th 13, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Checklists would also be interesting. Imagine: Glass: Checklist landing

* Wind? Check

* Approach Speed? Check

* Clear Runway? Check

I would use a smart phone app today that allowed me to customize a set of checklists and interact with them through voice and synthesized speech. This would be a win because it could eliminate visually distracting checklists.. I know that a lot of pilots follow checklists "from memory" but many feel that a checklist should be "written down" to compensate for memory errors.. An app like this would increase my use of checklists when my hands and eyes were busy.

I'd like to see an AI co-pilot that would have awareness of flight parameters, be able to do simple rule based reasoning and pattern recognition, and give verbal suggestions to the pilot. Kinda like having a CFI in the backseat. For example an AI co-pilot might be able to recognize wind shear, detect that the glider was in the pattern, and give the pilot a heads up "Possible Wind Shear".

It would be interesting to have a AI watch my flying, detect that I was having a bad day and flying poorly and tell me to land ASAP.

I think I would keep my Google Glass display to a minimum and display only airspeed, altitude, vario and perhaps pattern arrival altitude. AI co-pilot would have some override privilege, so that if I were approaching stall speed it would display only airspeed, large and in red. I'd like the App to let the user customize the AI rules so that the AI would behave to the taste and experience of the pilot. I'd rather see these parameters projected on the canopy, the Google Glass blocks part of my vision of one eye and that is a drawback.
Old May 27th 13, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, May 27, 2013 10:37:32 AM UTC-4, Bill D wrote:
On Monday, May 27, 2013 8:23:07 AM UTC-6, John Galloway wrote:

Surely this device should be a complete non-starter in a glider

cockpit as it give a fixed blind spot in the right lateral visual

field.

Nope, It's a "see-through" display.

The solid bar that supports the 'see through display' blocks some peripheral vision.

I don't think that this will stop everyone from using it because some people already fly with big vision blocking hat brims. A hat brim would probably help keep the screen from "washing out" in direct sunlight.