Glider Rating

Old February 17th 04, 06:23 AM

Default Glider Rating

Hi gang,

I may have some rather stupid questions but I ask them anyway ;*) (it's
rec.aviation.student anyway, but I am also crossposting to
rec.aviation.soaring).

I am a private pilot trying to get a glider rating which takes me some
time due to irregular schedules (my fault). So I am usually flying
either a Cessna 172 or a Grob 103 glider. I already got soloed in the
glider - actually more than once because I messed some things up and the
instructor wanted to be sure that I don't mess things up again. For
example, once I tried to force the Grob on the runway but she wasn't
ready to land yet. I was too high but didn't properly use the
divebrakes, thus landed her with numerous bumps the full length of the
7700ft runway, inducing hysteric screams by the owner of the flight
school - meaing more dual flight instructions.
Anyway, Now I am slowly getting the feeling of soaring, working towards
my check-ride. What I read in FAA requirements, I need 10 solo flights
and three dual training flights for the check-ride? Thus, these 10
flights could practially "just" pattern tows, although I should of
course do some longer flying? I also hope, that the examiner counts my
solo-landings, because some of the flights were rather short and I put
more than one flight under one logbook entry.
Then, the check-ride would be done with the instructor of the flight
school, or will that be a DE as for the private pilot certificate?
And after getting my glider rating, does that count as a biannual for my
private pilot certificate? And after that, for the next biannual could I
get a biannual in one aircraft category to be valid for all categories I
have a rating?

Thanks
Chris

Old February 17th 04, 11:25 AM
Vaughn

"..." wrote in message
Hi gang,
Anyway, Now I am slowly getting the feeling of soaring, working towards
my check-ride. What I read in FAA requirements, I need 10 solo flights
and three dual training flights for the check-ride?

You read correctly. (61.109 (f) (2).
Thus, these 10
flights could practially "just" pattern tows, although I should of
course do some longer flying?

Yes, as long as you have at least three hours total glider time. Of
course, the flight school may not sign you off until your flying meets the
PTS standards.

I also hope, that the examiner counts my
solo-landings, because some of the flights were rather short and I put
more than one flight under one logbook entry.

Don't see why not. I have always put one flight on one line, but I
have seen some schools that do otherwise.

Then, the check-ride would be done with the instructor of the flight
school, or will that be a DE as for the private pilot certificate?

He (she) will always be a DE, may also be from the school.

And after getting my glider rating, does that count as a biannual for my
private pilot certificate?

Yes.

And after that, for the next biannual could I
get a biannual in one aircraft category to be valid for all categories I
have a rating?

Yes. Though it may not be a good idea.

Good Soaring
Vaughn

Thanks
Chris

Old February 17th 04, 04:37 PM
Patrick Malone

...once I tried to force the Grob on the runway but she wasn't
ready to land yet. I was too high but didn't properly use the
divebrakes, thus landed her with numerous bumps the full length of the
7700ft runway, inducing hysteric screams by the owner of the flight
school ...

Sounds like you're halfyway to the ten required solo flights already. Could
probably log that landing as 4 or 5 short flights, no?

-patrick

author, PocketTest Series
Palm Software for FAA Written Exams in Aviation
www.PocketTest.com

Old February 17th 04, 07:09 PM
Shawn Curry

Patrick Malone wrote:

...once I tried to force the Grob on the runway but she wasn't
ready to land yet. I was too high but didn't properly use the
divebrakes, thus landed her with numerous bumps the full length of the
7700ft runway, inducing hysteric screams by the owner of the flight
school ...

Sounds like you're halfyway to the ten required solo flights already. Could
probably log that landing as 4 or 5 short flights, no?

-patrick

Damn, you beat me to it. :-)

Good Luck,
Shawn
Old February 18th 04, 02:59 AM
BTIZ

all the other questions have been adequately answered..... but....

example, once I tried to force the Grob on the runway but she wasn't
ready to land yet. I was too high but didn't properly use the
divebrakes, thus landed her with numerous bumps the full length of the
7700ft runway, inducing hysteric screams by the owner of the flight
school - meaing more dual flight instructions.

That's why we enforce the "low energy method" to land the Grob103, too many
people try to "land it before it is time", and end up inducing an
uncontrolled PIO down the runway.. get broken tail booms that way, or flat
nose tires and squashed nose wheel attach points..

Fly a controlled stabilized approach, as directed by the POH, normally best
L/d +1/2 the wind speed (up to a reasonable speed of course), less than 1/2
spoilers in the round out, don't close them all the way or you will balloon
in the round out and gain about 10-20ft of altitude, nose up, about the same
as the take off, and just let it settle onto the runway,

If it is not settling, NEVER push the nose down, slowly increase the spoiler
deflection until the slightest hint of additional sink rate and freeze..
hold the attitude and the spoiler position and it will settle..

This assumes that you have rounded out at a proper 1-2 ft altitude, assumed
the proper attitude and have the speed "on target", round out at 10ft AGL
and you are starting the approach from scratch and could be facing a very
high sink rate to impact... take that you nasty runway...

Experienced pilots can roll it on about 10knts faster than needed.. but
they've got the "eye" and the coordination to not over rotate in the round
out and keep the main wheel on the runway with the nose and tail wheel
aloft.

Glad you are joining the realm of "motorless flight"

BT

Old February 18th 04, 04:29 AM
Jim Vincent

Fly a controlled stabilized approach, as directed by the POH, normally best
L/d +1/2 the wind speed (up to a reasonable speed of course), less than 1/2

For the G103, the baseline speed is 52 knots for the pattern. This is lower
than best L/D, but a fair trade off between glide angle and energy. Though, in
my club, they threw out the POH and mandate 57 as the baseline speed. Go
figure.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old February 18th 04, 04:40 PM
Chris

Thank you all for the response - especially Patric and Shawn ;-P Shure,
I could use two of such landings to fulfil my 10 fligh requirement (NOT)

To BTIZ: I got some thorough checkout after that "incident" and I don't
plan to do it again. Both, the instructor as well as the owner of the
school made it rather clear that this is the way to break off the tail
booms, squash some of the front weel attach point, or do some other bad
thing to the Grob. I am now rather careful to land by the numbers an fly
a very stable approach (at best as I can).
This is also a different experience than flying the C172 with the "pilot
being optional" ;*) The Cessna is much more tolerant to pilot
confusion than the Grob with this respect.

Chris

Get your Glider Rating - Texas Burt Compton Aviation Marketplace 0 December 1st 04 04:57 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Private Pilot Glider Rating Requirements John Soaring 8 August 21st 03 01:09 AM