Where to rent in Seattle?

Old April 25th 05, 12:06 AM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

Default Where to rent in Seattle?

Howdy. I'm a PP-ASEL VFR only renter living in Seattle. I go to the
UW and live in Wallingford. Due to school I haven't been up in 6mo. I
finally got a break (well lighter load) and the weather is nice; but it
turns out that the place I use rent from no longer has rentals (Aeroflight
a BFI). I checked out Wings Aloft but there's no way I can afford them.
I heard a rumor of a new club at BFI but I asked around and no one can
confirm, and I drove the whole length of the field and didn't see anyone.
Besides driving all the way up to PAE, what options does a renter in
Seattle have?

Thanks in advance.

Old April 25th 05, 02:43 PM
Demonick

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:06:47 +0000 (UTC), 'Vejita' S. Cousin wrote:

Besides driving all the way up to PAE, what options does a renter in
Seattle have?

At PAE I'd suggest Northwest School of Aviation. I know the owner, and
it's a great operation with mostly Piper planes. 7 miles east, just south
of the city of Snohomish is Harvey field, S43, where Snohomish Flying
Service exclusively rents Cessnas.

Demonick
Old April 25th 05, 07:36 PM

NW school of aviation is a great place. They even have a Piper cub.

Alternatively you can also try Northway aviation which is in the same
building as the NW school of aviation. They have a fleet of new
Cessnas and a Piper Chrokee.

Old April 25th 05, 08:11 PM
pnw_aviator

Thirded. NW School of Aviation is a nice outfit and Dave is a heck of
a nice guy. Before getting my own plane last year, I used to rent the
140 from Dave. He's since changed his rental rates to dry rates which
may or may not come out to your advantage depending on where you fuel
up.

Renting in Seattle is a little pricey. You'll find better deals if
you're willing to drive a bit. Crest Airpark and Auburn both offer
pretty reasonable pricing for rentals as well.

Old April 26th 05, 08:38 PM
Journeyman

In article , 'Vejita' S. Cousin wrote:
Besides driving all the way up to PAE, what options does a renter in
Seattle have?

Have you considered Renton? Anything doing there?

Morris
Old April 28th 05, 07:31 AM
Smutny

Renton has two non-club FBO's and the Boeing Flying Club (which has
relaxed its membership requirements).

Pro-Flight has a good fleet of 172's and 177's for rent.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KRNT/PRO_FLIGHT_AV

There is a new outfit called AcuWings with a Tomahawk and a PA-28-140 in
the Southwest corner. The Tomahawk goes for $50/hour wet according to
their website. http://www.acuwings.com/

Personally, I like flying out of Renton better than either BFI or PAE.
But that's where my plane is based and I learned to fly here 20 years ago...

However, I have hear nothing but great things about the Northwest School
of Aviation on PAE. http://www.northwestschoolofaviation.com/

-j-

Old April 28th 05, 02:45 PM
Baha

I am the owner of AcuWings and would like to update some of the
information that was posted here. Our Tomahawk goes for 69.99/hr wet.
After its brand new paint is one of the best looking Tomahawks.
We also have a PA28-151, great plane for cross country trips, trainer,
basically all purpose. The rate is $99.99 /hr. (We had to add $.99 to
the rental rate recently because of the increase of the fuel price).

We have a generous block time package, you buy 10 hrs, you get 1 free.
That's 10% off if you think about it. We have no club rates, no monthly
dues, no fuel surcharges, no strings attached.

We are in the process of negotiating a twin and a Piper Archer that
will be a first in Puget Sound (cannot tell you more about it until it
happens though)

If you'd like to check us out, we have $49.99 intro rates on Tomahawk
and $59.99 on the Warrior. Visit our website to see how we are
different than the other schools or give us a call at (425) 254-9464

Old April 28th 05, 06:11 PM
Peter Duniho

"Baha" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a generous block time package, you buy 10 hrs, you get 1 free.
That's 10% off if you think about it.

I thought about it. I get 9%, not 10%.

[...]
If you'd like to check us out, we have $49.99 intro rates on Tomahawk
and $59.99 on the Warrior. Visit our website to see how we are
different than the other schools or give us a call at (425) 254-9464

Interesting...I like the idea of introductory rates. Nice to allow someone
to try out your rental services at a reduced rate. How many hours does one
get at the reduced rate? One? A full rental flight? More than one flight?
One can learn a little about the planes in just an hour, but it takes time
to figure out whether the other aspects of the rental outfit are good or
not.

Pete

Old April 28th 05, 11:53 PM
Baha

Peter,
I teach from the Jeppesen Private Pilot Syllabus and the flight #1
portion actually calls for .5 long of a flight. So, our intro flights
are for .5 (half an hour) but there have been many cases that I went
over that.

My motto is, even if I don't make any money on the first flight, you
will stick around and finish your private with us.

I also intentionally don't sell "private pilot packages" because I
don't want anyone to sign up and then feel the frustration of not being
able to get their money back. Believe me, I have seen really bad flight
schools that they will take your money $1000 or more and will never
return it because it's hidden in some place on their rental agreement.

I have seen many bad flight schools in places I thought or rented
airplanes before, I have seen a few really good ones as well. I am just
trying to be like the good ones..

Old April 29th 05, 01:08 AM
Peter Duniho

"Baha" wrote in message
oups.com...
I teach from the Jeppesen Private Pilot Syllabus and the flight #1
portion actually calls for .5 long of a flight. So, our intro flights
are for .5 (half an hour) but there have been many cases that I went
over that.

Ahh...I misunderstood. I thought by "rates" you meant those were the hourly
rates for those aircraft. I think intro prices are good policy, but yours
don't really differentiate your outfit at all. Your intro offering is
basically the same one would find pretty much anywhere, and now heavily
advertised through http://www.beapilot.com.

My motto is, even if I don't make any money on the first flight, you
will stick around and finish your private with us.

Yup, there's a reason lots of schools and FBOs have a similar policy.

I also intentionally don't sell "private pilot packages" because I
don't want anyone to sign up and then feel the frustration of not being
able to get their money back. Believe me, I have seen really bad flight
schools that they will take your money $1000 or more and will never
return it because it's hidden in some place on their rental agreement.

Couldn't that be addressed by either a) giving the student's money back, or
b) not hiding whatever restrictions exist on refunding the money?

I have seen many bad flight schools in places I thought or rented
airplanes before, I have seen a few really good ones as well. I am just
trying to be like the good ones..

Well, that's certainly a smart idea.

Pete

Hangar rent Kobra Owning 48 August 3rd 08 07:11 PM
Life Vests - Buy or Rent Victor J. Osborne, Jr. Owning 9 October 18th 04 11:23 AM
How to rent out my airplane Isaac McDonald Owning 27 August 26th 04 06:22 AM
Concorde Lands at Museum of Flight in Seattle [email protected] Owning 0 November 6th 03 01:15 AM
Presidential TFR violations in Seattle? C J Campbell Piloting 16 August 26th 03 03:34 PM